You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Channel Cats
05-11-2013, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 05-11-2013 01:19 AM by zippyFX.)
Channel Cats
I had a nice evening on the water tonight. I got out this evening for two hours, my wife thought I was nuts, it was cooler than usual and raining steady. Well, it gave me a chance to try out my rain gear. I stayed warm and dry, I could not ask for more.

A buddy and me tried for Channel Cats off of Victoria Island in Ottawa but the water level high, fast, and the water was on the cool side. Over the winter I had bought stink baits, dip bait, some catfish chunks they did not work. I tried pinched worms and cut minnows again nada. I was not happening.

Tonight because of the rain and the limited time I had I decided to keep it simple at a new location and just used pinched worms. I had snelled a half dozen hooks on leaders last night and I was glad I did because I did not have to fumble with lines in the rain and in the dark.

The location and the bait did the trick. I often fish with two rods with me. I bait and toss one line in and get the next one ready to toss in if the line on the first rod needs re-tying or maintenance. The action was so regular I never got the second rod ready.

I caught 5 cats the largest was 20 inches (guessing about 3.5 pounds). I lost 3 to flipped hooks and snags. Not bad for two hours. Still having fun with my ultra light gear as well... love feeling all the head shakes and runs!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-11-2013, 05:11 AM
RE: Channel Cats
Good stuff. That is a great 2 hours worth.

I do a far amount of channel cat fishing and have proven that BIG BAIT = BIGGER FISH.............. however this also means MUCH fewer fish.

My set up is the usual slip sinker rig using a barrel swivel, a heavy egg sinker and a 2/0 or 4/0 circle hook (depending on bait size). Preferred bait is a cut white sucker steak or chunk at least the size of a box of TIC-TAC mints and I will use double that size too. Hook tip should always be well exposed - the sucker's skin is fairly tough so you can hook it near it's edge.

I use a heavy duty home made rod holder fabricated from stainless steel pipe and round bar.

My leader length from swivel to hook is usually about 18". Egg sinkers will be at least three quarter ounce and up as required by the current.

I leave my bail closed - the rod holder will prevent losing the gear.

Using such a large bait will bring chittery little bites from small channel cats and bullheads - I ignore those and what till I get that great big yank.

Drill is - cast out as far as possible - place rod in holder - tighten line up till its snug ............. wait................ nothing happening in 20 minutes or so - then bring bait back in - inspect it and repeat. I never leave bait on longer than 45 minutes before replacing.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-12-2013, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the advice! I went back to the swim and took some of your advice. Still caught them in the same range. I may get lucky and catch a larger one coming through one day! The largest I have heard about in the main river have been in the 10-15 lb range. The ones I have been catching are high end average. I'll keep plugging away.
05-12-2013, 08:52 PM
I have a strong love-hate relationship with channel cats. On the one hand they can be a huge nuisance by taking carefully presented baits intended for other species. On the other hand, when intentionally targeted, the large ones are very fun to catch.

Things to keep in mind:
-as they get larger they become much less omnivorous and have a diet that consists almost exclusively of fish. This is why large cats are rarely caught on worms.

-raw shrimp will catch on average larger cats than worms, especially when the crayfish are molting. Live bait and cutbait catch the biggest cats. I like smelt for cutbait. Fresh is always better than rotten.

-areas with steady current are usually a good place to put your bait because the scent will carry downstream and draw the catfish to your bait.

-cats have taste buds on their entire bodies so finding bait in dark water is a non-issue.

-large cats tend to feed more at night and early morning hours. This becomes more prevalent as the water warms to summer temperatures. The clearer the water, the more nocturnal the cats.

-stay close to your rod when using cut or live bait as the bites tend to be brutal. Invest in a baitrunner reel if you can't watch your rod closely for prolonged time periods. The one time you turn around to pee is the time you rod goes in the drink.

I tried smoked channel cat for the first time last week and it was some of the best fish I've ever eaten. Simply delicious. When fried I find the meat too soft.

Only targeted cats once this season and this was the biggest. Plan is to do a July overnight session on the St. Lawrence for some real giants.

[Image: IMG_3076_zpsd8cae658.jpg]
05-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Cool! Thanks for the feedback Eli! Now that I have experienced the fight of a catfish I'd really like to get onto a bigger one. The ones I've caught have been have been in the 3-4 pound range and I just love the way they pull, bolt and switch direction.

The St. Laurence is is good suggestion. I may try to find a spot near Ottawa to give it a try. I'll also give some of the other Ottawa locations a try when the conditions improve on the Ottawa.
05-13-2013, 05:04 PM
I agree with Eli that fresh bait is better than rotten.......... at least in my experience. Fresh cut frozen is second best.

Yes the larger cats really arent all that great to eat. The smaller ones under 2# are much better, when skinned and all darker meat along the lateral line removed, plus the belly area.. then floured & deep fried in HOT oil.

.................... yes the big cats can surprise you and issue "brutal" hits ........ with that great big unexpected, no warning sign, rod doubling YANK..... love it!

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user