You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Dunnville Channel Catfish
04-03-2012, 03:12 PM (This post was last modified: 03-23-2014 02:13 PM by OldTimer.)
Dunnville Channel Catfish
Hey,

I’m looking for info on where one might try fishing from shore near Dunnville - to catch some of the HUGE catfish (some well over 20 pounds) that should begin their spawning run into the Grand River quite soon.

Gotta love the town’s mascot:

http://hamilton.openfile.ca/hamilton/fil...nville-map

I’ve caught a 18 pounder below Denny’s in the Saugeen at Southhampton…….. was quite the battle in the current - so I figure 25+ should be insane, and fun.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-08-2012, 06:21 PM
RE: Dunnville Channel Catfish
Hi Oldtimer,
Pretty much any public place you can find to toss in a line along the banks above and below the bridge is a good one when it comes to catfish. They DO seem to like coming out to play more the others, thus the reason we have it as a mascot! :0)
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to The Country Diva for this post:
OldTimer (04-09-2012)
04-09-2012, 07:31 AM
Thanks Donna - how's the worm business "dewing".

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
04-09-2012, 12:00 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2012 12:02 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(04-09-2012 07:31 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Thanks Donna - how's the worm business "dewing".

Big Grin

To do: add a laughing smiley to the list LOL

[Image: logobgs.png]
06-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Would it be too late to be heading down to Dunville the weekend of 9th,10th of June to hook up with some BIG CAT's?
06-02-2012, 06:28 AM (This post was last modified: 06-02-2012 06:29 AM by OldTimer.)
(06-02-2012 12:09 AM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote:  Would it be too late to be heading down to Dunville the weekend of 9th,10th of June to hook up with some BIG CAT's?

Unknown..............

All I can advise is that I did see quite a few fishing in the marsh flats just below the dam when I was out that way last Wednesday.

Who knows - maybe this heavy rainfall and its associated flow increase combined with lower river temps will help.

Cut bait is the way to go.

In any case - the Dunville Mudcat Festival begins next week............ if the fishing don't pan out you could always watch the parade.............. smile

http://www.dunnvillechamberofcommerce.ca/mudcat.php

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
wknd outdoorsman (06-03-2012)
06-03-2012, 04:57 PM
Thx OldTimer, I think Ill be be heading there nxt saturday night or sunday! To bad i missed the derby this wknd.
06-04-2012, 10:54 PM
(06-02-2012 06:28 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(06-02-2012 12:09 AM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote:  Would it be too late to be heading down to Dunville the weekend of 9th,10th of June to hook up with some BIG CAT's?

Unknown..............

All I can advise is that I did see quite a few fishing in the marsh flats just below the dam when I was out that way last Wednesday.

Who knows - maybe this heavy rainfall and its associated flow increase combined with lower river temps will help.

Cut bait is the way to go.

In any case - the Dunville Mudcat Festival begins next week............ if the fishing don't pan out you could always watch the parade.............. smile

http://www.dunnvillechamberofcommerce.ca/mudcat.php

Cheers,

OldTimer

HeyOT,

What is cut bait (dumb question?) also would it best to bottom bounce it or fish it under a float?
06-04-2012, 11:16 PM
(06-04-2012 10:54 PM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote:  HeyOT,

What is cut bait (dumb question?) also would it best to bottom bounce it or fish it under a float?

Cut bait refer to any whole baitfish that is cut into steaks, fillets or smaller pieces to be used as bait. Common cut bait include minnows, white suckers and even gizzard shad. Some people also use frozen sardines or mackerel, although I don't know how legal that is.

Just a note - not all minnows species are legal to use, particularly restricted minnow species such as redside dace or ghost shiner which are Species At Risk, or invasive species such as rudd or goldfish. White sucker is really the only sucker safe to use in Southern Ontario but not redhorse suckers (difficult to identify Black Redhorse or River Redhorse which are Species At Risk), or spotted suckers which is also a Species At Risk.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (06-05-2012), wknd outdoorsman (06-04-2012)
06-05-2012, 07:37 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 12:28 PM by OldTimer.)
(06-04-2012 10:54 PM)wknd outdoorsman Wrote:  What is cut bait (dumb question?) also would it best to bottom bounce it or fish it under a float?

Cut bait = Large steak, or section of a bait fish.

Use a good size piece to discourage bullheads from annoying you.

I usually use suckers. Live is better and cut at the fishing spot - but most good bait shops have frozen chunks available - call them first..............

I use a simple sliding sinker rig on the bottom. Channel cats are not line shy - so you may use heavier lines. Use large 1/0 or 2/0 CIRCLE hooks.

Cast it out and wait. Catfish will hone in on scent - this can take a half hour or more.

I find it is important to check your bait after an hour to make sure it hasnt gone under a rock or got fouled in weeds. Put a new piece on every once in a while, when it looks washed out, to maximize scent.

You will not mistake when you get a hit from a channel cat - it is sudden and forceful. Make sure your rod is secure in a holder.

Here's a good training clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sHXY6208c8

Have Fun - and please let us now how ya make out in the reports section.....

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (07-30-2012)