You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Cold carping?
11-16-2012, 08:48 AM
Cold carping?
I have no experience seeking carp when water temperatures are falling. What I have read is that carp prefer warm water. Are they dormant in the winter?

Is it worth my time, or shall I hang up my hair rigs for the spring feeding frenzy?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-16-2012, 04:36 PM
RE: Cold carping?
Carp do go dormant in the winter but not completely. They hang very close to the bottom near cover and feed very little. On a warmer day they do come out but with this weather it's going to be slow.

I think you can still get a real go at it, by adding spice to your bait. I heard that when you add spice to Carp bait in cold water the Carp enjoy it more than traditional baits.

Check this video out, it's of cold water Carping in Ontario: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0k7dTVmh...e=youtu.be

Giuga10
11-21-2012, 12:07 PM
you can carp fish all year round .. closer to winter, they slow down and dont feed as often much like what giuga said .. the boilie you used in our meetup (fruity flavour) will work just fine, avoid anything heavy in oil (oil and cold dont mix much Big Grin).

is it worth your time? depends on how much you enjoy sitting in the cold weather without a shelter Big Grin. as you know, carp fishing is a waiting game. I hung up my rig a while back since i got no bivvy yet and i am not a big huge fan of sitting in cold weather Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
11-21-2012, 12:58 PM
(11-21-2012 12:07 PM)Dseow Wrote:  you can carp fish all year round .. closer to winter, they slow down and dont feed as often much like what giuga said .. the boilie you used in our meetup (fruity flavour) will work just fine, avoid anything heavy in oil (oil and cold dont mix much Big Grin).

is it worth your time? depends on how much you enjoy sitting in the cold weather without a shelter Big Grin. as you know, carp fishing is a waiting game. I hung up my rig a while back since i got no bivvy yet and i am not a big huge fan of sitting in cold weather Big Grin

Cool... literally. Sitting in the cold is a sure-fire way to feel cold. Last time I was out, I fond myself having to walk around in circles by my rod and do some pushups on the shore... just to stay warm.

Practice for ice fishing! Tongue

11-21-2012, 04:53 PM
2 piece snowmobile suit, down vest, longjohns, your regular clothes, down snowmobile mitts, wool scarf, wool socks, Sorel boots, balaclava, fur hat with muffs..................... = warm even at -60F.

Mind ya - you can move real fast.................

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (11-23-2012)
11-21-2012, 05:55 PM
(11-21-2012 04:53 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  2 piece snowmobile suit, down vest, longjohns, your regular clothes, down snowmobile mitts, wool scarf, wool socks, Sorel boots, balaclava, fur hat with muffs..................... = warm even at -60F.

Don't forget the heat packets from the dollar store!

Giuga10
11-21-2012, 09:32 PM
(11-21-2012 12:58 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Practice for ice fishing! Tongue

Don't you worry. If you are too cold, you can always take my auger and drill some more holes. I can also let you pull the 40lb sled so you can work up a sweat. You'll be so warm you'll need to remove your winter jacket. No kidding! Big Grin

Great, now I can do run and gun fishing as long as Michael is cold and willing to drill some holes to keep warm Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-23-2012, 01:14 AM
(11-21-2012 04:53 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  2 piece snowmobile suit, down vest, longjohns, your regular clothes, down snowmobile mitts, wool scarf, wool socks, Sorel boots, balaclava, fur hat with muffs..................... = warm even at -60F.

Sounds like what I already wear every-day adventuring in the winter... LOL darn I'm always cold!

(11-21-2012 09:32 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(11-21-2012 12:58 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Practice for ice fishing! Tongue

Don't you worry. If you are too cold, you can always take my auger and drill some more holes. I can also let you pull the 40lb sled so you can work up a sweat. You'll be so warm you'll need to remove your winter jacket. No kidding! Big Grin

Great, now I can do run and gun fishing as long as Michael is cold and willing to drill some holes to keep warm Big Grin

Now there's a plan... oh dear... Tongue