You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Multi-tool or Pocket Knife
06-20-2012, 07:42 PM
Fishing Multi-tool or Pocket Knife
I had a Victorinox Angler for 2 years, a handy tool to take whilst backpacking and canoeing. Sadly, I lost it somehwere in Oakville.

Although it had the name "angler" it wasn't really good for any specialty fishing applications. It didn't have pliers. I never used the "hook disgouger" but I did use the scaler.

I was looking into the Leatherman Juice S2. Then I thought, hey why not check for purpose-built angling multi-tools. Something that could be of use if I deep-hook a Northern.... well that's wishful thinking, full-scale pliers would be required. But something close to that.

Any thoughts on a good camping/backpacking and fishing tool?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
RE: Fishing Multi-tool or Pocket Knife
(06-20-2012 07:42 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I had a Victorinox Angler for 2 years, a handy tool to take whilst backpacking and canoeing. Sadly, I lost it somehwere in Oakville.

Although it had the name "angler" it wasn't really good for any specialty fishing applications. It didn't have pliers. I never used the "hook disgouger" but I did use the scaler.

I was looking into the Leatherman Juice S2. Then I thought, hey why not check for purpose-built angling multi-tools. Something that could be of use if I deep-hook a Northern.... well that's wishful thinking, full-scale pliers would be required. But something close to that.

Any thoughts on a good camping/backpacking and fishing tool?

I carry a hemostat for removal and a pocket knife.
Hemostat locks on to vest for easy hook removal.
Markhamite
Find all posts by this user
06-20-2012, 10:22 PM
I also carry a long hemostat for unhooking, along with a nail clipper for cutting line, and a hook filer for sharping hooks. That is really all that you need most of the time. Now...if you are fishing larger spinners or crankbaits for pike, muskie and salmon, they have larger hooks that are more difficult to remove with a hemostat. In that case, a strong pair of pliers with a sharp wire cutter component is a very good choice. The wire cutter is there for emergencies...in case you get hooked by one of the strong treble hooks in those large lures. It's a safety gear that you should always have with large, stout hooks. A good fillet knife is great too if you use cutbait (or if you fish braid and you can use the knife to cut the braid in case of emergency).

Other than that, most of the multi-tool functions are not that necessary as a fishing tool. You really don't need a scale remover on the plier...you can remove scale with the back of a knife. The hook disgorger is not really all that helpful. Tweezers are hardly ever used unless you get a splinter (I just push them out or dig them out with a clean, unrusted hook). You could use one of the blade on the multi-tool, but I find them too short and small to do much good most of the time. Scissors is almost not necessary if you have a fillet knife to open package and a nail clipper to cut mono and fluorocarbon line.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Over the years I've tried many of the multi tools........... but at the end of it all - for my style of fishing - I prefer to carry a good set of needle nose pliers (with side cutter), a nail clipper, and a small sharpening stone.

I will carry a fillet knife only if I believe I will be using it, otherwise I always have carried (fishing or not) a very small swiss army knife in my pocket.

I do carry/use a hemostat while fly fishing or such. I find the one I have not beefy enough for most other things. Really the pliers would work just as well............

I do note that the nail clippers I use are not a cheap dollar store type, but fairly decent ones that also have the spin out metal nail file / cleaner- that can be used to sharpen a hook if really necessary, or poke a hole through epoxy painted jig head hook eyes.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-21-2012, 09:35 PM
(06-21-2012 02:09 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Over the years I've tried many of the multi tools........... but at the end of it all - for my style of fishing - I prefer to carry a good set of needle nose pliers (with side cutter), a nail clipper, and a small sharpening stone.

I will carry a fillet knife only if I believe I will be using it, otherwise I always have carried (fishing or not) a very small swiss army knife in my pocket.

I do carry/use a hemostat while fly fishing or such. I find the one I have not beefy enough for most other things. Really the pliers would work just as well............

I do note that the nail clippers I use are not a cheap dollar store type, but fairly decent ones that also have the spin out metal nail file / cleaner- that can be used to sharpen a hook if really necessary, or poke a hole through epoxy painted jig head hook eyes.

Thats what i always have with me no matter what.No sense in fishing for anything toothy without a handy set of pliers.Im not a big fan of the multi tools because they all dont seem to be of very good quality
06-22-2012, 08:45 AM
I'd recommend specific tools for specific fishing jobs.

Fishing:
Forceps or hemostat, sharp scissors (especially if you use braid) and a simple folding knife.

Camping:
I have a couple of these: http://www.leatherman.com/product/Juice_C2

And a bottle opener on my keychain!

"I am, Sir, a Brother of the Angle".

Izaak Walton, The Compleat Angler
06-22-2012, 09:32 AM
(06-22-2012 08:45 AM)Redmire Wrote:  I'd recommend specific tools for specific fishing jobs.

And a bottle opener on my keychain!

Now we're talkin' bout a fisherman's favorite specfic tool (on the pier).

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-18-2012, 02:57 PM
I personally use/have a "Gerber Flik" - Has a knife, scissors and most important... Pliers (1 handed ejection).
I carry it with me everywhere outdoors. I'm thinking of upgrading the GERBER FLIK to another 1-handed Pliers model...
but so far... haven't had the need to - its perfect for what I need! Smile
09-18-2012, 08:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2012 08:46 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
So far I haven't bought anything tool-related. I'm doing fine with my nail clippers secured to a pull-chord Smile. Super handy!

Come steelhead season, I will want pull-chord pliers or clip-on hemostats for split shot attachment.

I also wouldn't mind a diamond file, any leads on where to find one? I tried princess auto a few months ago with fishfight, and they didn't carry them anymore.

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-19-2012, 08:42 AM
I also carry this...it goes with me everywhere when I fish! Smile

http://www.bassmaster.com/sites/default/...g_Snip.jpg

Its amazing stuff - cuts braid EXTREMLY SMOOTH - not like other snips out there Smile
even BRAID up to 50lb Test!

I got mine @ the Fishing Show this past year... might grab another one if I find them again Smile