You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing Stories and Tall Tales
11-04-2013, 08:24 PM
RE: Fishing Stories and Tall Tales
1) "That bottom looks shallow and firm, it'll be fine".......doh!

2) "Get the net!"... "What net?".......doh!

3) "That puddle on the ice looks shallow enough to plane over with the snowmobile".......doh!

4) "I swear the auger blades were screwed on tight".......doh!

5) "There's batteries in the bubbler, right?".......doh!

6) "We'll just park the truck off the side of the snowmobile trail".......doh!

7) "We'll just fish and figure out how to get the truck up icy and slushy the hill later".......doh!

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2014, 06:07 PM
(05-30-2012 01:27 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Every angler, regardless of their seasoning, has their own collection of fishing stories. Exaggerated, or true to the every detail, we all love telling our stories to friends, family, innocent by-standers, grandparents, grandchildren, trees, and fellow anglers.

Here's an outlet for just that!

Let's hear your fishing stories. How many times have you been out on the water and thought... well that would make a great story....

Great Thread!

A few years ago on Balsam Lake. My fishing partner and I are fishing on a gloomy day. In the distance we can see storm clouds brewing/thunder/lightening and comment to each other that we may have to head back soon.
I make a long cast off the back of the boat and as I wait for the bait to sink I notice that my line is free-spooling off my bait caster straight up into the air! This happened continuously as I stood and stared at the phenomenon..unsure what to think. Moments later my buddy, is experiencing the same thing. We decide its likely in our best interest to head for home...a 15 min ride across Balsam. As my buddy is storing his rod, his wedding ring comes into contact with the metal guides on his rod and gets a nice little jolt.

Immediatley we decide to fire up the motor and get off the water! Within seconds we are surrounded by a crazy storm. Waves, wind rain

Managed to get off the water safely but surely we were seconds away from being struck by lightning.

I did a bit of research once I returned home and this is something that has happened to others, but no real confirmation of what we experienced.
Find all posts by this user
03-02-2014, 09:44 PM
In January, fishing a local river I had a muskrat come up for breath three times through the ice hole.

First time scared the crap out of me. I thought some kind of monster was crawling out of the ice and into the shack. After that, it was just really interesting to observe.
04-27-2014, 03:08 PM
I just lost a "big grouper" according to my guide, on a recent trip to the Bahamas.... I was wrestling this thing for a good 10 mins before he decided to burrow into the rocks and cut the line... Mike (the fishing guide) had the chaff all ready.... he later estimated it to be abt 100 lbs give or take? The day wasn't completely dissspointing as we landed 15+ fish... Mostly Barracudas and yellow snappers.
04-28-2014, 10:14 AM
Since some one else revived this thread I guess i'll share some of my stories. As most of you can guess by the name I am French. Back when I was a young lad fishing on a private swim for carp outside of Lyon. We arrived late and decide to hit up the local tackle shop for boilies and chum mix. When the owner starts telling us about Marilyn the legendary local fish. Marilyn is a local famous mirror carp with a black dot on her left side named after Marilyn Monroe. This carp was huge 30 lb that all the local anglers are always after. So we decide to join the "hunt" and try to catch her. We went 3 days on that swim with out a single bite as we started to pack up are bivvy that's when it happened, We had a large run on my left line. I set the hook and this fish was fighting like no tomorrow. About 30 min later we finally land the fish. To are surprise it turns out to be her. She weighed in at 32.5 lbs and the look on all the other anglers face when they started to run over to are swim was priceless. Since then I have caught bigger carp, moved to Canada, and even started to change up the species that I target. But nothing will ever compare to the fight that fish put up. If your ever happened to enter that tackle shop(if its still open) look for the picture of the lad in a orange hunting vest and a raccoon skin cap that's me, and that's the exact moment I fell in love with carping and fishing.

Fished all my life, Learning Ontario/North America
04-28-2014, 10:19 AM
I was swallowing it......... till you added the racoon skin hat...........wink....... good one.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-28-2014, 12:46 PM
the sad part is I do wear a raccoon skin cap :C

Fished all my life, Learning Ontario/North America
04-28-2014, 02:14 PM
(04-28-2014 12:46 PM)FrenchCarper Wrote:  the sad part is I do wear a raccoon skin cap :C

.......... well you'll certainly fit in around here...........grin.

OT

See you on the river.
06-12-2014, 04:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2014 04:17 PM by OldTimer.)
They’re back………….

Remember these:

http://www.pocketfisherman.com/

I am not recommending these – but they are a hoot………….

Back in the 70’s I recall going to a rented cottage with three friends for a 4 day extended long weekend fishing trip in early July.

The lake was a typical Muskoka smallmouth bass/lake trout lake. In the one closet there were a bunch of games, jigsaws, books, cards, and 4 of these outfits.

The Friday and Saturday fishing was very good, providing Fridays dinner, and Saturday evening’s snacks.

Saturday night’s brain storming session (AKA brain cell killing procedure) resulted in the creation of the first annual “Ultimate PocketFisherman Challenge”. (BTW – it never was repeated……).

2 teams in two boats – 4 hours (noon -4pm) – heaviest combined weight legal catch wins….. (prize = losers clean fish/cook supper /clean up re: Sunday Supper AND Monday Breakfast.)

Obviously a lot was on the line here. ……….. Reputation, self-image, and more importantly -2 easy meals.

Team members would be drawn by choosing straws – 2 shorts/2 Longs.

I got teamed with a buddy we referred to as “No-Mind”…… swell I thought……….nice guy……but………

So……….. Sunday after an early lunch – off we go……………. No-Mind & I head one direction and our 2 friends head another.

We quickly learned that the units were challenging to cast with the wiry used line they had on them………… so we trolled Rebel minnows mostly - at No-Minds insistence ……… and in the time allotted landed 7 fish, mostly average and a few “nice” ones.

Getting back to the cottage dock just after 4 – we found our friends waiting – they had 3 “GOOD” fish they had landed tossing top water lures.

Oh-Oh.

Our only weighing device was a bathroom scale. So I stood on the scale – noted my weight.. and they handed me a bucket with each team’s catches……….. and we would note the difference.

Weighed theirs……….. a little over 11 pounds. Weighed ours………….. a little over 12 pounds.

No – no- no………… I was doing it wrong………….. so one of them stood on the scale.

Weighed theirs……….. a little over 11 pounds. Weighed ours………….. a little over 12 pounds.

No – no- no……………. he was doing it wrong………….. so the other one of them stood on the scale.

Weighed theirs……….. 11 pounds dead on.,,,,,,,,,,,, Weighed ours………….. a little over 12 pounds.

Paul (previously known as No-Mind) and I enjoyed the dinner and breakfast……… a lot……………. Smile.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
06-12-2014, 05:25 PM (This post was last modified: 06-13-2014 09:19 AM by MuskieBait.)
I don't think I've told the "Glasses" story yet...so here goes.

It was SOMEONE's first time fishing for muskies. We had arranged a beautiful weekend to get on the water. I was leading the expedition trying to get my friend Kazu and SOMEONE on their first muskie.

It was the first morning of fishing. We started at around 7am and slowly explored our little gem. After seeing a couple of follows, everyone was hopeful and excited.

We arrived at this sloping shoreline that had a dock, a small weed flat and a steep drop into really deep water. It was ideal muskie habitat. As I retrieved my second cast, I felt a thud during mid retrieve, and as the lure came close to the canoe, I could see a muskie followed my lure in. I put the lure into a Figure 8, but as the muskie saw us, it went back onto the weed flat.

Just then SOMEONE was so excited about the muskie that he fired a cast, without looking, toward the weed flat. As he was doing so, I felt something smacked the side of my head really hard. I didn't know what had happened yet...and when I came back to my senses, I noticed that my vision was a bit blurry. Did the object that just hit me knocked my brain enough to cause blurry vision?

When you wear glasses, a sudden loss of sharpness is often responded with a subconscious response to adjust the glasses. So my left hand went to adjust my glasses, only to find that it wasn't there. Huh?

Finally, we figured out what had happened.

SOMEONE had made a hasty and errant cast with his #5 Mepps spinner. During the forward swing of the rod, the lure had struck the side of my head and the treble hook had latched onto the arm of my glasses. Everything happened so fast that I did not even feel the glasses being ripped off my face...nor did I see the resulting ka-plunk of my glasses into oblivion.

Despite some admirable searching, SOMEONE was not able to retrieve my glasses from the depths. At least we found out that just a couple of feet under the warm surface, the water was freezing cold.

I usually wear a leash on my glasses for this exact reason. Was it a coincidence that the only time I forgot to bring my leash was the only time I've lost my glasses? Tongue

To this day, that location was named "Glasses"...and we've not seen a muskie sitting in that spot since.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html