You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fishing glasses?
06-12-2013, 12:45 AM
Fishing glasses?
What is the general consensus/opinion everyone has on fishing glasses? helpful or just something to match the uber fishing gear ? Smile
(talking about the polarized ones)
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2013, 07:36 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 12:26 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Fishing glasses?
Sunglasses, especially polarized sunglasses, are not fashion statements.

If you fish long days like I often do, the sunglasses will protect your eyes from UV damage. Fishing a whole day in full sun, your eyes will be exposed to a lot of UV rays and the amount is even increased by the reflection from water or ice/snow.

Aside from the health benefits, anyone who doesn't wear glasses normally will receive the added benefits of eye protection from errant casts. This is especially important for fly anglers, but it is also wise for regular anglers since lures and rigs can often fly straight back into your face when you free them from snags.

Polarized sunglasses will cut down the glare from the water and allow you to see into the water. People often think the benefit is for you to see fish. Sure, that is important, but the primary benefit for me is to be able to see fish habitat like weed clumps, holes in the weedbed, sunken logs, the edges between bottom types (mud, sand, gravel), dropoffs...etc. Once you can find fish habitat, the fish will not be far away. Plus, if you can see these areas clearly, you can also identify where you need to cast and work your lures not only to get it close to fish holding areas, but to avoid a path your lure may take that would cause it to snag. If you can see a pile of branches and there is one branch that sticks up high, you can adjust your retrieve to avoid the branch.

Of course, it is good to see fish...not only to confirm that they are in the area, but to see clearly how a fish reacts to your baits and presentation. It is more important to understand what fish don't like and then figure out what they prefer.

And if you fish in a river by wading, polarized glasses will allow you to see the bottom of the river so you can see deep holes, big boulders, logs and branches that would present as a hazard for wading. As such, it is a safety piece of equipment.

Thus, it is absolutely necessary in my mind.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (07-27-2013)
06-12-2013, 09:02 AM
Very helpful.
07-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I would say a good pair of polarized glasses are a must.....I have a pair of Strike Kings sg camos and they work great

Fish On
IFish

Cool
07-26-2013, 12:45 AM
does anyone know where I can get polarized or at least tinted contact lenses? My sunglass tan is off the hook during summer!
07-26-2013, 10:36 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2013 10:36 AM by ST_ShoreFisher.)
(07-26-2013 12:45 AM)mcfly Wrote:  does anyone know where I can get polarized or at least tinted contact lenses? My sunglass tan is off the hook during summer!
you should really protect the entire eyeball, not just the centre (pupil and iris), so sunglasses are better....maybe try ones that have thinner frames?

Though tinted contact lenses would look kinda freaky!
07-26-2013, 03:01 PM
(06-12-2013 12:45 AM)mrclownprince Wrote:  What is the general consensus/opinion everyone has on fishing glasses? helpful or just something to match the uber fishing gear ? Smile
(talking about the polarized ones)

As MuskieBait says - sunglasses protect your eyes from flying hooks and UV,........... and if polaroid too - they offer the side benefit of seeing a bit better under the surface.. great when wading rocky rivers.

Get'em - wear 'em............ safety ++

I even have a pair of fishing glasses with light yellow lenses for low light conditions or after dark.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
07-27-2013, 10:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-27-2013 11:05 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
Moved to General Discussion

Last year I was whacked across the eyes with a rod tip by someone's backcast. Two years ago I had a 3x treble hook rapala waving inches from my face during someone's backcast. Clear safety glasses for night fishing doesn't seem like a strange idea anymore. Of course, I've also accidentally whacked a certain someone upside the head with a 3/8 oz spinnerbait... and lost their glasses to the depths. So make sure they secure well to your head if you're in a boat! Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
07-28-2013, 05:59 AM
It's not just other peoples actions - If youre into fly fishing - you have to worry about your own lures being caught by the wind (or water) and coming at you.............

When top water fishing at night - glasses are a must - on a pulled free missed strike you wont be able to see the bait coming at you...........

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (07-29-2013)
07-28-2013, 09:09 PM
MAUI JIMS best lenses ever---