You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Fly Fishing?
04-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Bug Fly Fishing?
So I figured I'd give it another shot. I didn't like it the first couple times I tried it. I'm wanting to try for some small pan fish any tips or suggestion on gear or flys or techniques? I'm currently using a combo I picked up from bass pro. Would that be to much? would I have to down grade? Any help would be appreciated.

Fished all my life, Learning Ontario/North America
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-29-2014, 09:21 AM
RE: Fly Fishing?
What is your combo? Can you give some specifics about the weight of the rod and length of rod?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-29-2014, 12:59 PM
its a 9' rod it runs a line weight of 4 and that's all I have for knowledge.

04-29-2014, 03:17 PM
(04-29-2014 12:59 PM)FrenchCarper Wrote:  its a 9' rod it runs a line weight of 4 and that's all I have for knowledge.

#4 is a quite light weight line/rod and I imagine that you may have found it frustrating to cast in a breeze........... and totally impossible in a wind.

Plus long casts are not within the capabilities of this setup. Remember that in fly fishing you cast the line not the lure.

On a stream or small pond where you quarry is close it may do the job though.

Not knowing what line type (sinking or floating) you have.............As far as flys for panfish and small bass in this area I'd recommend: Black Woolly Worm (wet fly), Improved McGinty (wet fly), and Foam Spiders (dry fly - floats)............ plus the smallest of the cork poppers (dry flies - float quite well). Shown below in order top to bottom.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
FrenchCarper (04-30-2014)
04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
I do a lot a fly fishing for Panfish in my area, you don't need to worry about casting far since they are usually close to shore.

OT provided a great selection of flies to start with, if you wanna pick up a few more, I personally really like foam grasshoppers, and I've done well with small wet flies like nymphs and stoneflies, they can usually be a little more expensive however since there's quite a bit of detail put into them. I also love small dry flies like hendricksons, dry fly fishing is very fun.

The nymphs, stoneflies, and hendricksons are usually fished by drifting it down a river but for still water I just slowly strip them, for the dries make sure to pick up some fly floatant to keep them above the water.

If you have any more questions ask away,

Good luck!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Giuga10 for this post:
04-29-2014, 05:29 PM
4-wt is perfect for panfish. Just have to realize that, as OT said, the wind may inhibit your casting on some days.

You can still get a decent 50-70 feet cast on the 4-wt. If your rod is a bit stiffer (for a 4-wt action), I suggest for you to go one size heavier in line, that is, to use a 5-wt line for your 4-wt rod. That way, you can load the rod better and cast that line further. If the rod is not as stiff, using the 4-wt fly line is adequate.

For most panfish situation, you don't need a full sink line. A sink tip line will get your fly deeper, but most often a floating line will suffice. You can add a small splitshot on the leader to help carry the fly down to the right depth. You can use foam strike indicator to signal bites if you like. If you are slow stripping a wet fly, you may not even need the strike indicator as you will feel the take. You will not need any strike indicator for dry flies.

Panfish are not too picky. I tie my own flies and I find nymphs like Beadhead Pheasant Tail, Hares Ear, Prince Nymph or Zug Bug to be productive. You can also use micro leech, San Juan Worm, and smaller minnow patterns. For dry flies, I like Elk Hair Caddis a lot for its visibility and floating ability. It is also very durable and can last many, many fish.

Presentation is key (like any other fishing). If you are fishing in a lake, simply suspend a nymph under an indicator is less attractive. Usually, slow stripping is the technique I like. If you are drifting in the river, you can drift the nymph in the current then allow it to swing in the current.

Fish for them on the fly just like you would with spinning gear and artificial gear. Really, it's not that different. You wouldn't just let a panfish tube sit motionless for a long time under a float...so is the same with fly fishing nymphs and wet flies.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
05-01-2014, 01:37 PM
Is there any fly shops in the Toronto area that you guys would recommend? bass pro and sail are kind of far for your friendly going still learning Toronto new to fly fishing guy.

05-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Try Wilson's down by Queen St. It is a dedicated fly shop. Prices are a little bit higher, but you'll be getting good service...and you'll be able to find some items that Bass Pro and Sail don't carry.

Malama o ke kai

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
FrenchCarper (05-01-2014)
05-02-2014, 10:46 AM
use a dry dropper rig and fish on the edges of weedbeds and underwater structure like logs.