You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Frenchmans Bay Sat Jan 26
01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
Frenchmans Bay Sat Jan 26
Ill be Heading out to the Bay On Saturday,

Will most likely be there at or before 9:00am and will most likely be sticking it out till about 4:00 pm

If anyone is interested in joining me, Look for the guy catching all the fish Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin ....

That Would be Onwind, and Ill Be the one Fishing near Him....

~Jeremy.

Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-23-2013, 05:49 PM
RE: Frenchmans Bay Sat Jan 26
Haha, dreaming it comes true.
01-24-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm in!!

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-25-2013, 01:22 PM
I wonder how the ice would be come saturday. i heard it rises to -2 at least. I might hit duffins if schedule and weather permits.
01-25-2013, 02:19 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 02:22 PM by MuskieBait.)
Once solid black ice (no bubbles, not frozen over slush...etc) is established to a certain thickness (over 6"), as long as night time temperatures are below zero, there is little to no loss to the ice. What usually melts is the top layer of snow and slush. If there is snow on top, the snow acts as an insulating layer and slows down ice loss.

This is with the caveat that the ice you are fishing on is not near current areas (river mouths, old stream channels, between islands...etc). If there is current, snow melts from the warm or sunny day can bring a flush of warmer water. Both the warmer water and the water movement will degrade and thin the ice where the current runs.

Most of the time, I wouldn't worry about anything unless the day time temperature is over 5C for at least a few days. I've fished on the ice when it was +10C and sunny and we were literally wearing sunscreen and a simple long sleeve shirt on the ice. I've also fished on the ice when it was covered with knee high slush/water due to a quick warm spell. We had 12" of ice under our feet and there was no loss of ice at all.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
01-25-2013, 03:03 PM
the Ice will be Perfect on saturday,

It should be at a thickness of 6-8 inches right now, and with ice like that you'd need 5+ temps for a week or greater before you could stand on it any longer,

If It is going to be -2 on saturday, I more than welcome it over the -15 -30 weather i have been in the past two days.

Saturday/ Tomorrow morning is going to be good conditions for Frenchmans bay, Now, the reports of fishnig have been not great at all, allot of guys spending a full day out and not tpping a rod.
I think it has to do with the high pressure cause by the cold front that just moved thrrough.

Or maybe the fish were just waiting for us before they started hitting the hooks???

Either way its going to be an epic adventure.

~Jeremy.

01-25-2013, 03:37 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 03:41 PM by onwind.)
Jeremy,

Are there enough minnows at your hand for fishing tomorrow?
I will go to buy one more ice rod combo, one rod holder, one sled and perhaps a tip-up flag this afternoon. do you need I bring you something?

(01-25-2013 03:03 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  the Ice will be Perfect on saturday,

It should be at a thickness of 6-8 inches right now, and with ice like that you'd need 5+ temps for a week or greater before you could stand on it any longer,

If It is going to be -2 on saturday, I more than welcome it over the -15 -30 weather i have been in the past two days.

Saturday/ Tomorrow morning is going to be good conditions for Frenchmans bay, Now, the reports of fishnig have been not great at all, allot of guys spending a full day out and not tpping a rod.
I think it has to do with the high pressure cause by the cold front that just moved thrrough.

Or maybe the fish were just waiting for us before they started hitting the hooks???

Either way its going to be an epic adventure.

~Jeremy.
01-25-2013, 04:11 PM
I always find cold, sunny weather difficult for pike...I do best when it's on the upswing from an arctic high (ie, cold front) switching to a more southerly flow (ie, the upswing to warm weather).

Some of the best pike fishing days I've had took place when it is warm...slightly cloudy is better than full sun...but as long as it is on the warming trend, pike tends to want to play...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
01-25-2013, 07:33 PM (This post was last modified: 01-25-2013 07:35 PM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
Onwind, My guide services start at 100 dollar for the day, So just payment for the day is all you need to bring Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin ....

There is Bass city in markham at main st unionville and hwy 7 they sell minnows,
and also there is the tightline fishermens warehouse in pickering 5 mins away from the bay, at Bayly and brock.

Both stores sell minnows, I normally ask for a few small minnows and some medium sized minnows and do well mixing it up.

~Jeremy.

01-25-2013, 08:20 PM
Haha, if you really want to run this business, perhaps I can advertise for you.

(01-25-2013 07:33 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  Onwind, My guide services start at 100 dollar for the day, So just payment for the day is all you need to bring Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin ....

There is Bass city in markham at main st unionville and hwy 7 they sell minnows,
and also there is the tightline fishermens warehouse in pickering 5 mins away from the bay, at Bayly and brock.

Both stores sell minnows, I normally ask for a few small minnows and some medium sized minnows and do well mixing it up.

~Jeremy.