You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Getting around physical limitations
09-08-2012, 01:11 AM
Getting around physical limitations
I'm trying to get some fishing in and having a heck of a time getting it done without too much discomfort. I have a problem (so far) in a lot of repetative casting. (torn up shoulder and arm) I am working on a two handed technique to take the stress off of my right shoulder, becep and elbow. I was able to cast fairly accurately using both arms with my 8'6" shimano

I have learned how to do many things by "working smart". I top dressed my lawn and rebuilt my deck last year. One chap who walks by my house frequently found it quite amusing to watch some of my work arounds. It is funny at times.

I find I get a fair amount of satisfaction from drifting the bait or lure with the current. Using a slip float I've fished with wet flies and live bait. The woolly bugger and egg sucking leach appear to present themselves well on the trip upstream in fast water. the retrieval is no problem. I've been using an 8 ft leader with usually one piece of split shot

Has anyone heard of or used a float with crankbaits to get the lure into position for retieval. I actually tried this with a wordens flatfish a few days back. The flatfish is light and floats but the retieval seems to be ok.

Any means regarless of how silly it may look beats not being able to fish. Cool Big Grin Tongue
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2012, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 09-08-2012 12:31 PM by Giuga10.)
RE: Getting around physical limitations
(09-08-2012 01:11 AM)beaser Wrote:  Has anyone heard of or used a float with crankbait's to get the lure into position for retrieval. I actually tried this with a Wordens Flatfish a few days back. The flatfish is light and floats but the retrieval seems to be ok.

Any means regardless of how silly it may look beats not being able to fish. Cool Big Grin Tongue

I'm not too sure what you meant by using the float for retrieval. Did you mean that you wanted to use the float to bring up the crank bait for a better retrieval action. If that's what you meant, no I haven't heard of it but seems like something cool to try. Also if you just wanted to use the float to prop the crank up to the top of the water you could buy a floating crankbait, Rapala sells lots of them.

Hopefully this helps,
Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-08-2012, 02:49 PM
I put the crankbait on the leader with the slip float and let the lure float downstream. I then retrieved it. As I said often casting is painful and this is a way around it.

I had thought of lrtting a floating lure go by itself but then the float shows me exactly where my lure is.

So far as the wet flies and live bait, that's the way i thouight it was done anyway.
Find all posts by this user
09-08-2012, 06:19 PM
If it works, all the more power to you! It's great to think outside of the box sometimes. You may even catch fish hiding among deep snags where people usually cannot reach with a cast. The fun in fishing is often dealing with the challenges, so I encourage you to continue to do so. Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-08-2012, 08:57 PM
(09-08-2012 02:49 PM)beaser Wrote:  I put the crankbait on the leader with the slip float and let the lure float downstream. I then retrieved it. As I said often casting is painful and this is a way around it.

I had thought of lrtting a floating lure go by itself but then the float shows me exactly where my lure is.

So far as the wet flies and live bait, that's the way i thouight it was done anyway.

Thats an amazing technique. I would have never thought of such a rig. Great idea!
The float would be a good way to find your lure, give it a shot seems like something that works.

Good luck,
Giuga10