You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

05-29-2012, 11:26 PM
Gloves...
Do people pack fish handling gloves in their kits when shorefishing for pike?

Back home my mate had a really good set, very light and flexible but very strong..I wish I could remember the make!

The reason I ask is that I think I want to get a pair just to help with the confidence of picking up a pike. I know what I am supposed to do, but I have not handled that many, and I really don't want to cause them harm. Catch and release is the name of the game here..

Any recommendations at all?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-29-2012, 11:49 PM
RE: Gloves...
(05-29-2012 11:26 PM)--G-- Wrote:  Do people pack fish handling gloves in their kits when shorefishing for pike?

Back home my mate had a really good set, very light and flexible but very strong..I wish I could remember the make!

The reason I ask is that I think I want to get a pair just to help with the confidence of picking up a pike. I know what I am supposed to do, but I have not handled that many, and I really don't want to cause them harm. Catch and release is the name of the game here..

Any recommendations at all?

A grab behind the head has worked for me so far. When I first started I used the gill-flap approach, but I have no doubt that this is bad for the fish... the gills are the most sensitive part of the fish.

I've never used gloves. I assume they help grip a large fish to avoid touching the gills?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-30-2012, 10:11 AM
I think they are meant to help reduce damage to the fish, help you grip them, and (mostly) stop your fingers getting bitten if your unlucky.
07-08-2013, 01:53 PM
I don't recall what brand name of gloves I bought for handling fish but they turned what could have been an ugly gash into a pinprick when a feisty pike gnawed on my hand. They aren't as 'grippy' as I'd like though.
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Keep your fingers out of the mouth and gills and you should not be bitten.

Gill flap is fine. It doesn't hurt the gills if it's just the flap you are holding onto.

For smaller pike, the best way to hold them is to slide your hand under the belly, put your finger around the pectoral fin, and have your other end on the tail of the pike. If you need a firmer grip, you can just put pressure on the gill plate with your index finger and thumb.

For a big pike, gill plate works...but don't hold them vertically for pictures. Always support the belly and hold the fish horizontal.

If the fish needs dental work, jaw spreader or lip grips helps.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user