You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week
05-04-2013, 07:31 AM (This post was last modified: 05-04-2013 04:00 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Grass Carp caught in Grand River this week
............ or provide a "safe" source (but not free) for live fish that are blessed by the MNR as "no-impact" and releasable in our waters...................

................say like Black Tip.......... smile

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-04-2013, 08:03 PM
Or...Atlantic Salmon release program...win-win in my mind. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-06-2013, 10:38 PM
I tried searching up these traditions of releasing live fish... but didn't come up with much. Anybody know more about them?

I did find this:
http://scienceblog.com/39940/moved-by-re...-to-toxin/

[Image: logobgs.png]
05-07-2013, 03:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWhAh7B81NI

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
05-07-2013, 04:16 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2013 04:18 PM by onwind.)
Yes, In China, we have the tradition of releasing live fishes.
1. We believe that you save the fish's life by releasing it otherwise it will be eaten. in return the god will help you especially when your family members have a disease or bad luck.
2. There are a lot of fairy tales in China about a kind young man bought a fish(especially a golden carp) or a big river snail from a fisherman or retailer and released it. which turned out it's the son or daughter of a dragon king. and in return he got a lot of treasure and help even a wife from the dragon king.
We used to have no idea the fishes can be an invasive species in different water bodies, We just did it by ignorance. but things are getting better now, as people begin to know the knowledge, they tend to stop doing it. so what they need is education, not criticism.
Find all posts by this user
05-07-2013, 08:56 PM
I educate by videotaping their illegal activity, jotting down their licence plate number, and wearing an ear-to-ear smile as I turn them over to the MNR.
05-08-2013, 12:29 AM
I have to admit sometimes calling MNR is a good method, if you don't show them official document, data, evidence or authorities, they will not trust you on the contrast they will think you're joking.
(05-07-2013 08:56 PM)Eli Wrote:  I educate by videotaping their illegal activity, jotting down their licence plate number, and wearing an ear-to-ear smile as I turn them over to the MNR.
05-08-2013, 08:27 AM
(05-07-2013 04:16 PM)onwind Wrote:  Yes, In China, we have the tradition of releasing live fishes.
1. We believe that you save the fish's life by releasing it otherwise it will be eaten.

So they release goldfish in the local ponds but then catch and eat the bass and sunfish?
05-08-2013, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2013 10:33 AM by onwind.)
On one hand different fishes are treated differently, In China we have the tale that all the carps will jump up to the barrier and gate of dragon, if it succeed it will become a dragon. dragon is a kind of god in China. so Carps especially golden ones are somewhat saint.

On the other hand, China is a large country with long history, we have different traditions in different area among different people, and we have very different beliefs and convention. some Chinese release fishes, some Chinese eat fishes, some Chinese eat fishes when they release some at the same time. I don't think it's appropriate to consider them as the same guys.

(05-08-2013 08:27 AM)angler1 Wrote:  
(05-07-2013 04:16 PM)onwind Wrote:  Yes, In China, we have the tradition of releasing live fishes.
1. We believe that you save the fish's life by releasing it otherwise it will be eaten.

So they release goldfish in the local ponds but then catch and eat the bass and sunfish?
05-08-2013, 01:20 PM
(05-08-2013 10:32 AM)onwind Wrote:  On one hand different fishes are treated differently, In China we have the tale that all the carps will jump up to the barrier and gate of dragon, if it succeed it will become a dragon. dragon is a kind of god in China. so Carps especially golden ones are somewhat saint.

On the other hand, China is a large country with long history, we have different traditions in different area among different people, and we have very different beliefs and convention. some Chinese release fishes, some Chinese eat fishes, some Chinese eat fishes when they release some at the same time. I don't think it's appropriate to consider them as the same guys.

Exactly...and that's why I'm not (and we should not be) concerned with racial labels but rather simply crack down on those who are illegally releasing fish.

BTW, it isn't just Chinese who are doing it...rather, it is people of the Buddhist faith who are doing it...and that includes all races, culture and ethnicity.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html