You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

06-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Heat Wave
Will deep water fishing be more active because all the fish will be in the deeper parts due to the heat? I mean the top layer of water will warm up but 20 feet down its probably still cool. any suggestions or ideas on the topic?

Bro When I Say Its Good To Fish Its Good To FISH!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2012, 07:38 PM
RE: Heat Wave
(06-20-2012 07:28 PM)Magikarp Wrote:  Will deep water fishing be more active because all the fish will be in the deeper parts due to the heat? I mean the top layer of water will warm up but 20 feet down its probably still cool. any suggestions or ideas on the topic?

I'm interested in this as as well. I know that most pike will move into deep parts of the lake during the summer, inaccessible by shore. But that's about all I know.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-21-2012, 11:09 AM
I find that this year is quite strange as far as temperatures go. Went to Dunnville yesterday, targeted some catfish. Water was 28 degrees C, which to me is completely crazy.
06-21-2012, 06:12 PM
This time of year I usually go at least 4 hours north and the weather is no where near as humid, and the mornings/evenings never disappoint. Honestly though, if fish are cold blooded then there is no reason for them to eat in this kind of weather (pure speculation on my part).
06-21-2012, 09:43 PM
Alot of people say bass like to take to cover during heat waves,which is probably why it is the most caught fish by people in the summer.
06-22-2012, 01:35 AM
well with the way the weather is chaining into next week its going to cool of by about 10 degrees or so so we will be able to note the difference between the 30s and the 18s area in temperature change come next tuesday

Bro When I Say Its Good To Fish Its Good To FISH!
06-22-2012, 01:45 AM
(06-21-2012 06:12 PM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  Honestly though, if fish are cold blooded then there is no reason for them to eat in this kind of weather (pure speculation on my part).

Well, I would see this as a reason for their metabolism to be more active. In the winter, I'd expect their metabolisms to be slowed by the cold.

Again, more speculation, but there's probably an ideal range of temperatures where they best carry out growth and repair.

I did some searches about it... this was the closest article I could find to answering my question:

http://www.aqua.stir.ac.uk/public/GISAP/...p_food.pdf

[Image: logobgs.png]
06-22-2012, 11:36 AM
Different fish has different metabolism...

Trout and salmon prefer colder water.

Bass and pike prefer cool water.

Carp and bowfin prefer warmer water.

Sunfish don't care either way. Big Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (06-27-2012)
06-23-2012, 08:55 AM
(06-22-2012 01:45 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(06-21-2012 06:12 PM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  Honestly though, if fish are cold blooded then there is no reason for them to eat in this kind of weather (pure speculation on my part).

Well, I would see this as a reason for their metabolism to be more active. In the winter, I'd expect their metabolisms to be slowed by the cold.

Again, more speculation, but there's probably an ideal range of temperatures where they best carry out growth and repair.

I did some searches about it... this was the closest article I could find to answering my question:

http://www.aqua.stir.ac.uk/public/GISAP/...p_food.pdf

So if we throw a fish into boiling water, would it die from exhaustion?

Lol just kidding, but like you said there is an optimum temperature, too high would result in lower enzyme activity, blood pH change, etc. I'm guessing that more food + more movement in search of food would increase the fishies body temperature even more, which is bad.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to bettercallsaul for this post:
06-24-2012, 07:27 AM
Don’t forget that the oxygen content of water is inversely proportional to the water’s temperature.

This fact is one variable that drives a fish’s “comfort zone” as well as its corresponding level of activity.

In a lake, fish can go deeper to find a comfortable temperature with suitable oxygen levels. Their finned prey will do likewise which further prompts the move.

In a river, fish do not have this option, so they will adjust their activity to the times, and the feeding opportunities that take the least amount of effort.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post: