You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

02-14-2013, 07:58 AM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2013 08:03 AM by TOFishingNoob.)
RE: Hello
(02-13-2013 11:47 AM)grubman Wrote:  Rolleyes Haha kinda obvious.....lol. How's the fly tying going? I've been tying up a few nymphs for spring steel, but I hear they are good for bass too. I need some more hooks, hooks and more hooks.
It alright, been very busy so haven't had much time at the vice... Tied up an olive and black wooly bugger last night, looks pretty good. I'm in the same boat as you, running out of hooks. Might make a run to BPS to look at reels for there spring sale and grab some hooks.

(02-13-2013 11:47 AM)grubman Wrote:  Onwind is here too. I'm not sure what he's been tying up.
Cool!

(02-13-2013 11:47 AM)grubman Wrote:  And the members there are really helpful noobs or not.
That nice to hear... one of the reasons I joined. Big Grin

(02-13-2013 11:47 AM)grubman Wrote:  Once temps hit positive I'll be trying out my flies. Looks like it will be soon so Wiarton Willy might be right......lol. I sure hope so.
Hahaha yup it sure has been feeling a little warmer.

(02-13-2013 08:44 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Hello TOFishingNoob, welcome to the site!
Thanks. It's nice to hear from an admin.

(02-13-2013 08:44 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I picked up a few casting reels this year. I don't really see any advantage to them other than making it easier to cast thick mono. Still, fun to use! I'm sure that, if you're running braid, a spinning reel would do just fine for any application.
What reels did you get? I want to get a casting reel for a heavy action rod for fishing heavy heavy cover...

(02-13-2013 08:44 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I'll let some other users chime in with their experiences Smile
It would be great to hear from some other baitcasting owners! Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-14-2013, 03:40 PM
(02-13-2013 01:48 PM)onwind Wrote:  I am tying woolybuggers this winter for float fishing this spring. as I will use a split shot on the leading line, I will not add lead on the fly.
Haha, buggers are good but there are so many other flies that trout will hit.....lol. Hope to see your progress, show some pics.

(02-14-2013 07:58 AM)TOFishingNoob Wrote:  It alright, been very busy so haven't had much time at the vice... Tied up an olive and black wooly bugger last night, looks pretty good. I'm in the same boat as you, running out of hooks. Might make a run to BPS to look at reels for there spring sale and grab some hooks.

I stopped off at Lebaron yesterday. One guy came up to me as I was looking at their hooks and asked if I needed any help. I told him I'm looking for dry fly hooks, he then says there are more hooks on a stand further back in the store, so I go with him. Turns out the hooks he was showing me were snelled, and I told him that. Obviously he does not know a dam thing about fly tying, and I'd have to question his knowledge on fishing. What the hell is someone like that doing in a sports store, totally useless, give him a broom.......lol. I'll have to go to Bass Pro too if I ever plan to get the hooks I want. Lebarons is not the place for it, that's for sure.

(02-13-2013 11:47 AM)grubman Wrote:  Once temps hit positive I'll be trying out my flies. Looks like it will be soon so Wiarton Willy might be right......lol. I sure hope so.
Hahaha yup it sure has been feeling a little warmer.
02-14-2013, 09:45 PM
(02-13-2013 11:47 AM)grubman Wrote:  I stopped off at Lebaron yesterday. One guy came up to me as I was looking at their hooks and asked if I needed any help. I told him I'm looking for dry fly hooks, he then says there are more hooks on a stand further back in the store, so I go with him. Turns out the hooks he was showing me were snelled, and I told him that. Obviously he does not know a dam thing about fly tying, and I'd have to question his knowledge on fishing. What the hell is someone like that doing in a sports store, totally useless, give him a broom.......lol. I'll have to go to Bass Pro too if I ever plan to get the hooks I want. Lebarons is not the place for it, that's for sure.

That guys a noob to fly fishing for sure! I've never been to Le Barons, I normally go to BPS. They're pretty knowledgeable about fishing at BPS... TTYL
02-15-2013, 12:59 AM
(02-14-2013 09:45 PM)TOFishingNoob Wrote:  That guys a noob to fly fishing for sure! I've never been to Le Barons, I normally go to BPS. They're pretty knowledgeable about fishing at BPS... TTYL

I bet he does'nt even like fishing, he's just a salesman. A useless one at that.
After Lebaron I went to Bass City and Luck Fishing and neither of them had hooks smaller then 16. Looks like I'll be making a trip to BPS too. They should have these little pricks.......lol. That's what hooks that small look and feel like....lol. I know I'll pay double at Wilson's, but they'll have them for sure. Even the 14 hooks are hard to tie up, dam my eyes are going, soon I'll be Cool and need a white cane......lol.
02-15-2013, 10:36 AM
(02-15-2013 12:59 AM)grubman Wrote:  I bet he does'nt even like fishing, he's just a salesman. A useless one at that.
After Lebaron I went to Bass City and Luck Fishing and neither of them had hooks smaller then 16. Looks like I'll be making a trip to BPS too. They should have these little pricks.......lol. That's what hooks that small look and feel like....lol. I know I'll pay double at Wilson's, but they'll have them for sure. Even the 14 hooks are hard to tie up, dam my eyes are going, soon I'll be Cool and need a white cane......lol.

I hate it when people lie about a product to sell it and after I tell them that they're lying they continue... Never been to Bass City, sounds like a cool place, especially for a bass fanatic like me. I always prick my finger when dealing with small hooks, normally when I push the material back to clear the hook eye. You could probably get glasses for tying... Dude, use the bottom half of a fishing rod instead.
02-15-2013, 11:20 AM
I did get a nymph bobbin so that does make it a little easier to tie. Bass City is ok, no fly tying material just lures and gear. Same as Lucky.

Did you see that meteor that hit Russia? Awesome footage.
02-15-2013, 09:21 PM
(02-15-2013 11:20 AM)grubman Wrote:  I did get a nymph bobbin so that does make it a little easier to tie.
Whats a nymph bobbin? A smaller bobbin perhaps?

(02-15-2013 11:20 AM)grubman Wrote:  Bass City is ok, no fly tying material just lures and gear. Same as Lucky.
I didn't figure Bass City would have tying material but it's probably a good place for bass lures and stuff.

(02-15-2013 11:20 AM)grubman Wrote:  Did you see that meteor that hit Russia? Awesome footage.
Yea, I heard all about it. Pretty crazy. Love videos like that.
02-15-2013, 10:35 PM (This post was last modified: 02-15-2013 10:37 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(02-14-2013 07:58 AM)TOFishingNoob Wrote:  What reels did you get? I want to get a casting reel for a heavy action rod for fishing heavy heavy cover...

Right now I have the Abu 4601, a Cardiff 301 and a few big saltwater penns (lots fun to cast those big penns Tongue). I really like the left-handed baitcasters because I can cast and re-cast with just one hand. Really nice when you're making lots of repeated casts.

The Cardiff is a lot nicer to use because it has a spool that sits nice and low, close to the blank. Really ergonomical for a round baitcaster, almost as comfy as a low-profile reel and I get tonnes of line capacity for open-water applications.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2013, 12:03 AM
(02-15-2013 10:35 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Right now I have the Abu 4601, a Cardiff 301 and a few big saltwater penns (lots fun to cast those big penns Tongue). I really like the left-handed baitcasters because I can cast and re-cast with just one hand. Really nice when you're making lots of repeated casts.
Wow! You got quite the collection! Abu Garcia has some really nice reels... I use left-handed reels too... It's sooo stupid how people cast then change hands to reel. I mean really????

(02-15-2013 10:35 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  The Cardiff is a lot nicer to use because it has a spool that sits nice and low, close to the blank. Really ergonomical for a round baitcaster, almost as comfy as a low-profile reel and I get tonnes of line capacity for open-water applications.
Thanks for the info on the cardiff. I am a little wary of round baitcasters because some have a high profile... I really like the tear drop shaped ones...
02-16-2013, 01:48 AM
A nymph bobbin is about 2/3 the size of a standard bobbin. It's so you can get in close and have better control of the thread when you're tying up small #18-24 hooks. If I can ever get hooks that size......lol.

Michael nice reels. Now all you need is a boat to get out on a lake to use them........lol. You still have that canoe? There's a couple of places I checked out, they look in-accessable by motor boat. I told Schnipster about it. The areas look bass infested, or should be atleast. No fly setup yet eh?.....lol.