You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

02-16-2013, 11:58 PM
RE: Hello
(02-16-2013 01:48 AM)grubman Wrote:  A nymph bobbin is about 2/3 the size of a standard bobbin. It's so you can get in close and have better control of the thread when you're tying up small #18-24 hooks. If I can ever get hooks that size......lol.

Cheers. Is the thread spool used the same size?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-17-2013, 12:23 AM
I was beginning to wonder myself. The arms are too tight and I had to take a some pliars to bend it open. All spool sizes are standard, you have to make the bobbin fit the spool. It's a great size, if you already have a standard size, I'd say get the nymph as a second if you plan to tie small flies like scuds/midges.

Dam I need more material, I just realized I want squirrel tails..lol. Geeze will it ever end?...........lol.
02-17-2013, 10:55 AM
(02-17-2013 12:23 AM)grubman Wrote:  I was beginning to wonder myself. The arms are too tight and I had to take a some pliars to bend it open. All spool sizes are standard, you have to make the bobbin fit the spool. It's a great size, if you already have a standard size, I'd say get the nymph as a second if you plan to tie small flies like scuds/midges.
Thanks. Right now, I putting my money towards a baitcasting setup after that it's back to all fly! Big Grin I am doing ok with my regular bobbin for now... Tied a few nymphs last night in size 10 and 12... 12 is hard for me to accurately figure out proportions. I need more practice.

(02-17-2013 12:23 AM)grubman Wrote:  Dam I need more material, I just realized I want squirrel tails..lol.
I have a few squirrel tails, they work good as tails for poppers, nymphs and probably a few mice patterns. What do you need squirrel for?

(02-17-2013 12:23 AM)grubman Wrote:  Geeze will it ever end?...........lol.
Nope not now, we've came too far!
02-17-2013, 01:09 PM
I've read that wigglers, need squirrel tail to tie them, are killers for trout. It's a generic fly that catches all year round. I have not found a recipe that calls for anything other then squirrel.

Here is a site that might help with the nymphs.
http://www.flytyingworld.com/classroom/9...mphs-.html

This one's alright too.
http://www.renegadefishers.com/thefly/proportion.html
02-18-2013, 12:49 AM
(02-17-2013 01:09 PM)grubman Wrote:  I've read that wigglers, need squirrel tail to tie them, are killers for trout. It's a generic fly that catches all year round. I have not found a recipe that calls for anything other then squirrel.

Here is a site that might help with the nymphs.
http://www.flytyingworld.com/classroom/9...mphs-.html

This one's alright too.
http://www.renegadefishers.com/thefly/proportion.html

Thanks for the sites! Helped me a lot, reeaalll useful. Big Grin

Never heard of a wiggler.... Look nice, really buggy. You could probably use another fur so long as it is not the underfur.
02-18-2013, 01:36 PM
I think it's officially known as a Michigan Wiggler, wiggler's are suppose to be as deadly as woolly buggers.

By substituting material, I'd be creating my own new fly. Not a bad idea, just not sure if it will still catch fish. Or have the same wet properties as squirrel tail. Guess since I've never seen a squirrel swimming I can take a best guess or mix up some fur hairs that I already have.....lol. I'll call it a Frankenwiggler if it catches...........lol.

Wish me/it luck.........Big Grin
02-18-2013, 10:39 PM
(02-18-2013 01:36 PM)grubman Wrote:  I think it's officially known as a Michigan Wiggler, wiggler's are suppose to be as deadly as woolly buggers.
Ahh ok. I heard the same on their deadliness!

(02-18-2013 01:36 PM)grubman Wrote:  By substituting material, I'd be creating my own new fly. Not a bad idea, just not sure if it will still catch fish. Or have the same wet properties as squirrel tail. Guess since I've never seen a squirrel swimming I can take a best guess or mix up some fur hairs that I already have.....lol. I'll call it a Frankenwiggler if it catches...........lol.
I end up substituting material on most of my flies. Big Grin I call it a variant. I think it will have the same the action so long that the fur is similar in consistency. Squirrel tail as far as I've seen spreads out in the water. Love the name! Big Grin Tell me how it goes.

(02-18-2013 01:36 PM)grubman Wrote:  Wish me/it luck.........Big Grin
Luck! You'll do good!
02-28-2013, 02:52 PM
Hello every one;
I am new in this forum so i want to introduce myself. I am Banial Peter from Albama city (USA). I recently join this forum to find the solutions and also for discuss the problems which i am facing day by day. Hopefully you guys help me.Thanks to every body. God help you always.

Banial
02-28-2013, 07:09 PM
(02-28-2013 02:52 PM)Banial Wrote:  Hello every one;
I am new in this forum so i want to introduce myself. I am Banial Peter from Albama city (USA). I recently join this forum to find the solutions and also for discuss the problems which i am facing day by day. Hopefully you guys help me.Thanks to every body. God help you always.

Welcome Banial.

How did you find the forum? You'll be able to find a lot of help from our members for many different topics.

Welcome and enjoy,
Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-03-2013, 01:10 PM
(02-16-2013 01:48 AM)grubman Wrote:  Michael nice reels. Now all you need is a boat to get out on a lake to use them........lol. You still have that canoe? There's a couple of places I checked out, they look in-accessable by motor boat. I told Schnipster about it. The areas look bass infested, or should be atleast. No fly setup yet eh?.....lol.

Still got the canoe Smile. No fly setup yet.

Now if there was only a way for me to fish that hotwater outflow this spring... I don't think a canoe will cut it Tongue

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user