You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

08-15-2016, 09:18 PM
Question Hi
Hi all togheter

I'm Sam, a swiss guy travelling all across canada. At the moment, i'm in winnipeg and soon in ontario. Here they told me there's no possibility to catch pikes from the shore, i have to go way up north to catch a pike, perch or bass from the shore... I'm 100% sure, that they aren't right. My english is not that good, that i can read all the threads in that short time i have and i don't have the time to search weeks long good fishing spots. So it would be nice, if you guys can tell me some spots from kenora to ottawa where it is possible to fish from the shore.
Thanks a lot Sam
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-16-2016, 02:47 PM
RE: Hi
Hi,

Welcome to Canada.

They aren't right.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-17-2016, 03:51 PM
Hi Sam, lots of areas to fish between Kenora to Ottawa. In fact, there may be too many.

Kenora is considered northwestern Ontario and will have very good fishing. You can certainly catch Northern Pike from shore there. It may be one of your best option.

Ottawa will also have a lot of areas available for fishing, and there are Northern Pike available.

Unfortunately, I have not fished in Kenora, and my experience in Ottawa is limited.

My advice is to look for areas with access to deeper water (5-10 feet depth) that has good healthy weedbeds (especially cabbage weeds) and structure (woods or rocks) nearby. You can try large #5 Mepps spinners, larger spoons or crankbaits like Rapala. It is really no different from fishing for Northern Pike in Europe if you have experience fishing there.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
08-22-2016, 11:41 PM
Take a look at this map... Lots of places in Ottawa to catch a pike take a look at this map I put together years ago:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?msa...lg0cJjEy24

If you are interested in guide to help I recommend this guide:

http://www.ottawariverfishing.ca/en/index.asp
08-23-2016, 01:35 PM
Thx for your help guys!
08-25-2016, 01:28 AM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2016 01:41 AM by ShoreQueenOfTheNorth.)
(08-15-2016 09:18 PM)Samuel Bührer Wrote:  Hi all togheter

I'm Sam, a swiss guy travelling all across canada. At the moment, i'm in winnipeg and soon in ontario. Here they told me there's no possibility to catch pikes from the shore, i have to go way up north to catch a pike, perch or bass from the shore... I'm 100% sure, that they aren't right. My english is not that good, that i can read all the threads in that short time i have and i don't have the time to search weeks long good fishing spots. So it would be nice, if you guys can tell me some spots from kenora to ottawa where it is possible to fish from the shore.
Thanks a lot Sam

Hmm well thats not true at all!
Silly People!
I've got a spot for you!

So when you cross into Ontario Go to the town of Fort Frances (Its my hometown). (there is good fishing all along the way) As you drive East you will be crossing a bridge called the Noden Causeway. This Causeway has towers for the power lines and under these towers are little islands. So... The 3rd Tower out ... pull off the highway and onto the island (there is a little road.) About 10 feet off the road is a rocky shoreline. If its a nice sunny day there may be teenagers tanning there. Wink
Its also a great place to cast offshore. I was catching Walleye there in late July. And where there are Walleye there are usually Pike. Rainy Lake is home to some real beasts!
I've attached a map.
I have had luck with 1/4 oz round Chartreuse jigheads with minnows (about 2" long), you can pick up everything at http://rainylakesports.com/ on your way. I would use leaders if you are fishing pike and remember that this spot is "snag heaven" So cast far, let it sink a reasonable amount of time, then reel it in swiftly pausing once in a while to jig your bait a few times then reel it in the rest of the way. Keep your rod tip up and make sure your footing is good because once they hit they really hit good!

Attached File(s) Image(s)

08-25-2016, 10:01 AM
For us who live in the GTA, Fort Frances is considered "way up north" Tongue. For some city folks, even going to North Bay is considered "way up north"...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
ShoreQueenOfTheNorth (08-25-2016)