You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Poll: How many years have you been angling? (years)
<1
1-2
3-5
6-9
10+
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
How long have you been angling?
07-19-2013, 06:11 PM
How long have you been angling?
I was looking at some of the welcome posts and it seems as though many members here have only started fishing recently so I've decided to take a poll to see how experienced OSF anglers are.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-20-2013, 06:10 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2013 07:07 AM by OldTimer.)
RE: How long have you been angling?
Results may be skewed. You first need to have all members actually vote.

Edit:

Plus ponder these scenarios…

…… who is the more experienced:

....The angler that fishes once per year for 10 years…… or the angler that fishes 20 times a year for 2 years............?

....The angler that fishes the exactly the same spot each time for 50 times over 10 years……or the angler that has fished 50 different spots over 5 years......?

The angler that fishes for 10 species.......... or the angler that fishes for one species.............?

The angler that uses many different rigs, outfits, lures and baits.......... or the angler that uses worms only on a spincast outfit...........?

The angler that fishes rivers, lakes, streams, and oceans........ or the angler that fishes ponds......?

…etc…………….

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-20-2013, 09:05 AM
That's true but I should be able to get a rough estimate from this poll, there are many factors as you stated that affect experience, just too many to put in a poll on OSF.
07-20-2013, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2013 11:07 AM by MuskieBait.)
Been fishing for 20 years.

During my undergrad, I probably fished 100 days a year...usually 3-4 times a week.

Fished in 2 provinces (ON and BC...also fished a day in QC)

Fished in 10 states (CA, FL, GA, HI, IL, MD, MA, NY, TX, VA)

Fished in 8 other countries (Belize, St. Kitts and Nevis, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, France, Greece)

Don't catch the most (quantity), or the biggest (quality), and still have countless skunk days. Don't focus on any one species...in fact, usually only fish a few days for each species. Bass are usually incidental catches (don't get that bass obsession at all).

Have caught 355 species, from 1" Rainbow Darter to 120lb Yellowfin Tuna. Last year alone I caught 127 species of fish, both new and recaptured. Guess I'm a "jack of all fish, master of none"...which is absolutely fine by me.

Fish all methods - spinning, baitcast, conventional, float, fly, ice, bottom bouncing, baitrunner/method, downrigger trolling, deepsea/outrigger trolling, vertical jigging, free lining, bottom fishing...etc...love to try popping one day for some sick GT's.

31 years young...still so much more to learn and experience...and so many more places to fish. Too many places to fish, so little time and money...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
07-20-2013, 11:16 AM
(07-20-2013 10:26 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Been fishing for 20 years.

During my undergrad, I probably fished 100 days a year...usually 3-4 times a week.

Fished in 2 provinces (ON and BC...also fished a day in QC)

Fished in 10 states (CA, FL, GA, HI, IL, MD, MA, NY, TX, VA)

Fished in 8 other countries (Belize, St. Kitts and Nevis, China, Malaysia, Thailand, Australia, France, Greece)

Don't catch the most (quantity), or the biggest (quality), and still have countless skunk days. Don't focus on any one species...in fact, usually only fish a few days for each species. Bass are usually incidental catches (don't get that bass obsession at all).

Have caught 355 species, from 1" Rainbow Darter to 120lb Yellowfin Tuna. Last year alone I caught 127 species of fish, both new and recaptured. Guess I'm a "jack of all fish, master of none"...which is absolutely fine by me.

Fish all methods - spinning, baitcast, conventional, float, fly, ice, bottom bouncing, baitrunner/method, downrigger trolling, deepsea/outrigger trolling, vertical jigging, free lining, bottom fishing...etc...love to try popping one day for some sick GT's.

31 years young...still so much more to learn and experience...and so many more places to fish. Too many places to fish, so little time and money...

Wow you must be an amazing angler, the number of species of fish you've caught is astounding, that comes from a lot of patience I would assume.
07-20-2013, 11:34 AM (This post was last modified: 07-20-2013 11:56 AM by MuskieBait.)
Not particularly amazing...not particularly skillful...just lucky that I have opportunities to travel for work/school and have friends and family in the US. Fishing variety in Ontario is rather poor compared to many subtropical and tropical areas...

For example...I fished 20 years in Ontario catching only 62 species. I fished 19 days in California catching 52 species (44 new species on that trip). I fished 11 days in Florida for 30+ species (23 new species on that trip). To be honest, an exceptional day in Ontario nabs you about 10 species and that's consider great. Rolleyes

A lot of it has to do with knowing your species and exploring places with high probability of encountering and catching your species. For example, Tarpon was relatively easy in Belize since there was a good concentration of fish and they behaved in predictable ways. Yellow Stingray was difficult in Belize since they feed in a random fashion and they move into and out of a spot very quickly. If you are not prepared to cast something to them immediately, you missed your shot...and may not have another one for a long time.

Actually, the more you fish, the more impatient you become. Those who sits and wait all day for fish usually don't catch much. Experienced anglers sort through the current conditions and fish behaviour and adapt their presentations to catch fish...either stay at one spot and adapt, or move to find new opportunities.

For example...No sense to stay at a spot without a fish for an hour when there are many other areas to explore for active fish. No sense in using a particular lure when fish are obviously ignoring it after a few casts. No sense in fishing artificial to obviously highly pressured fish when you can catch them non-stop on live bait...etc...etc...etc.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html