You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

How to learn fly fishing?
12-12-2012, 08:46 PM
RE: How to learn fly fishing?
I want to learn fly fishing because I always see trouts in riffle or shallow water where is too shallow for float fishing, so I think fly fishing perhaps is a good method under these conditions.

(12-12-2012 08:25 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  
(12-12-2012 07:09 PM)onwind Wrote:  Giuga, thank you for your reply, but what i am asking is to ask Oldtimer what's the yarn he used to practice casting in his post.

Im guessing just about any Yarn could Do Onwind...

You can goto any craft store and buy yarn from there, Micheals is one of these stores..

http://michaels.com

beads and yarn would be cheaper here than buying at a FLY Shop....

I think Old time was suggesting useing a HEAVY Yarn, which would jut be a thicker strand of yarn....

Hey Ill bring a fly rod to the river on saturday and you can try it out to see if you actually might like fly fishing.
Ill also be bringing my spinner rod Which i will be using to target the Species of the Day,

Big SteelHead/ Rainbow Trout...

~Jeremy.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
12-13-2012, 03:48 PM
It's tough to get them on a fly. Maybe more rewarding but still tough. Get yourself an outfit, not the cheapest and not Crappy Tire, then watch videos read books, meet up with other fly guys and get out and practice till your arm falls off.

We should set up a meeting for fly fishing.
12-13-2012, 05:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-13-2012 05:20 PM by OldTimer.)
(12-12-2012 05:48 PM)onwind Wrote:  where do you get a heavy yarn? can I use the yarn for tying the egg patterns? is it too light?

By heavy yarn - I mean just fluffy knitting yarn that is about 1/4" in diameter or so. Remember the yarn that some kids have tied to there mittens up through there sleeves to prevent loss - like that...........

Egg yarn might be a bit too light.

Cotton butchers cord would work too.

I'm sure Wallmart or the dollar stores would have something...........

OT
(12-13-2012 03:48 PM)grubman Wrote:  It's tough to get them on a fly. Maybe more rewarding but still tough. Get yourself an outfit, not the cheapest and not Crappy Tire, then watch videos read books, meet up with other fly guys and get out and practice till your arm falls off.

We should set up a meeting for fly fishing.

All "styles" of fishing have various strengths and inherent weaknesses.

On certain days/places/conditions a fly guy might "out catch" a lure tosser or bait fisherman........... then vice versa other days.

My advice is that one does some research - decide what kind of spot and fish you actually will use the fly gear for - try to sample someones elses gear for the weight feel thing ...............and only then get an outfit.

For example - light trout will be a #6 or such outfit......... for bass #8..........then theres the decision if floating or sinking line, weight forward, double taper, level, shooting head.......... and on and on.........

For a beginning outfit spend the money on the rod, and the line.......... the reel (unless your salmon fishing or in the salt) is just a storage can for the line... just make sure its large enough to hold the line and some backing.

It's not hard....... really really........... your arms won't fall off - honest.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-13-2012, 10:45 PM
Great advise OT!

And along the same lines, there is no one rod that can do everything. A #6 is too light for bass, pike and steelhead. A #8 rod is way too heavy for trout (even those 24" resident brown trout) or panfish. So do figure out what you will mostly use the fly rod to catch which fish, and choose the right rod for you.

I started with an #8 rod that I bought from a friend...and later found I prefer to fish for small stream trout and a #5/6 rod is better for that. I used the #5/6 rod for a few years just learning to fly fish until I got to the point needing to upgrade my rod (it was a cheap combo with a sub-par rod)...and not long after upgrading, I got a #10 for salmon, gar and saltwater...and now I have a #8 as well.

I would suggest starting with small stream trout as they are a little more forgiving (and you are also casting smaller flies, lighter fly line and to shorter distances). Move to the heavier combos and long casts when you are ready to make the jump.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
12-14-2012, 04:18 PM
I am not sure about Toronto, but in Ottawa they have a club (http://www.ottawaflyfishers.com/membership.html) they do monthly trips as a group to local spots; It would seem like a good time to practice with experienced people.
12-15-2012, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 12-15-2012 01:47 AM by MuskieBait.)
Check these videos out...so many helpful ones...and I'm watching these after fly fishing for 10 years...still picking up tips and hints to improve my casting techniques. Big Grin

I love the double haul...both hands moving in synchronized motion...kinda like a conductor leading his orchestra...very elegant. Really like the tip about the smooth strip at the end of the haul after shooting line...I need to start doing that.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
onwind (12-15-2012)