You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Interesting read on keeping body warm through proper clothes layering!
11-08-2013, 04:44 PM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2013 07:15 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Interesting read on keeping body warm through proper clothes layering!
It’s that time when we all need to start “dressing for the weather” to make our days outside warmer and enjoyable………… rather than a torturing ordeal.

So I bumped this great thread started by FishFight with its invaluable advice from MuskieBait up to current status ………… and I’ll add a few new discussion points:

One thing not mentioned before was the use of hand warmers. I’ve used and have all three types, which are:

Chemical (i.e “HotHands”)……….. not bad,… and the most simple,… they can actually get too hot directly against your skin. A lot of people who use these don’t realize that they need to be shook every once in a while to keep the reaction going better. The packets are environment friendly if properly disposed in the trash. Tip – use an old small or cutoff sock as a holder/shield.

Lighter Fluid fueled (i.e. Zippo style)… very good, but actually more expensive to use, get wow hot too. Some may not like messing with the lighter fluid. The authentic chromed Zippos are the best, stay away from the cheap copies. In the wow bitter cold these are the #1 best. Tip – if you go this route buy a zippo lighter or a Bic lighter to start them……….. also – buy a few extra burner heads.

Solid Fuel (vintage gear, not widely sold anymore)……… they work, are the cheapest and most simple, but current offshore fuel sticks available have an “oily” odour, and can be hard to light and kept lit. I used these for years, but the two types above are better.

How do I use these?..................

Simple approach – put one in each of my jacket pockets to warm my hands.

Better – Wear a light set of wool gloves inside a pair of large oversize mitts that have the heater(s) inside. This can be cumbersome if you need to move fast to grab a rod.

Best – Use my belted hand warmer muff and put one or two of them inside it.

Hope that helps someone..........

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Hot Hands are awesome and convenient!

I don't know remember mentioning this in my write up above...

If you can find some thin, close cell foam sheets commonly used for shipping (the flexible ones), you can get them into the shape of your sole and use that as a liner inside your shoe. You feet lose a lot of heat through the bottom of the feet since the ice under your sole acts as a heat sink, sucking the heat away. If you add that close cell foam layer, you insulate your feet from heat loss. It's a DIY item similar to some of the polar sole inserts I saw at stores...the only difference is that the commercial insert has a reflecting outer layer (think aluminum layer) to reflect heat back to your feet.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-09-2013, 12:09 AM
man up and grow a fur coat
Find all posts by this user
11-09-2013, 07:26 AM
(11-09-2013 12:09 AM)Eli Wrote:  man up and grow a fur coat

........... on yer fingers?..............smile

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
11-09-2013, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2013 06:45 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(11-09-2013 07:26 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(11-09-2013 12:09 AM)Eli Wrote:  man up and grow a fur coat

........... on yer fingers?..............smile

I only started ice fishing last year but I never had a problem using plain old gloves to keep my hands warm. I haven't felt the need to spend money on hand warmers. When my hands got cold and sluggish I put them in my gloves and within 10 minutes they would work again.

[Image: logobgs.png]