You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leaders for Pike Fishing?
02-21-2012, 11:56 AM
RE: Leaders for Pike?
I don't use a leader either, but I prefer 10-15lb braid.

I've landed fish up to 47" and never had an issue (although that one was kinda iffy, lol)

40-42" though no problem at all. I almost never get bit off either. I think sometimes people fishing pike are using the wrong approach to hittin their target area. Pike usually hit the bait with a headturn, so keep that in mind and try to change your angle on the targeted area might help getting bit off less
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-23-2012, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2012 05:25 PM by MikeH.)
I dont use wire leaders, just the 6lb Hybrid line that I have on my spinning setups. I have lost one or two larger pike, but not from them biting through the line as far as I can tell. I had one tear the back half of a jointed crank clean off and another straighten out a hook. Only time that i had a line snap in a while was when I tried to lift the pike into my net (dumbass move). I add a red skirt to dress the back hook on my crankbaits and it seems to act as a target for the pike.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
(02-23-2012 05:24 PM)MikeH Wrote:  I dont use wire leaders, just the 6lb Hybrid line that I have on my spinning setups. I have lost one or two larger pike, but not from them biting through the line as far as I can tell. I had one tear the back half of a jointed crank clean off and another straighten out a hook. Only time that i had a line snap in a while was when I tried to lift the pike into my net (dumbass move). I add a red skirt to dress the back hook on my crankbaits and it seems to act as a target for the pike.

Great to hear another report of leader-less pike fishing. Also interested about the skirt idea, is it something you buy or make?

[Image: logobgs.png]
02-24-2012, 01:04 PM
(02-23-2012 08:05 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Great to hear another report of leader-less pike fishing. Also interested about the skirt idea, is it something you buy or make?

Originally it came about when I replaced the rear hook on one of my cranks with a red dressed Mustad treble and I noticed that the front hook was rarely get hit.

Another use with these dressed back trebles is that I can spray some fish attractant onto the skirt and it holds a bit longer than when its just sprayed onto the lure hard body. This is as much about masking human or chemical scent on the lure as it is about adding a Pro-fishy flavour....

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MikeH for this post:
MichaelAngelo (02-24-2012)
02-24-2012, 04:39 PM
(02-24-2012 01:04 PM)MikeH Wrote:  This is as much about masking human or chemical scent on the lure as it is about adding a Pro-fishy flavour....

This is an often overlooked point. Thanks!

Do you still use the skirt to hold scent? Did you find that it improved your bites?

02-25-2012, 09:25 AM
(02-24-2012 04:39 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  This is an often overlooked point. Thanks!

Do you still use the skirt to hold scent? Did you find that it improved your bites?

I spray the skirts directly, and I do think it improves the quality of the bite.

[attachment=8]

MichaelAngelo (02-27-2012)
02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
(02-25-2012 09:25 AM)MikeH Wrote:  
(02-24-2012 04:39 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  This is an often overlooked point. Thanks!

I spray the skirts directly, and I do think it improves the quality of the bite.

That's great MikeH, thanks for sharing your trick.

I'm going to be getting a pair of split ring pliers to replace my worn out treble hooks. Can you recommend a brand of pliers? brand of new trebles? how do you size your hooks?

Thanks!

02-27-2012, 03:27 PM
MikeH, nice looking baits there!

I started adding these to certain baits last year and they work deadly for pike and bass. And I agree with you when it comes to adding/holding a scent better, but after awhile they need to be changed up as they get kinda gummy.

MA, I switched to Mustad triple grips last year and they are deadly, especially from shore where the hook up ratio can be lessened. Make sure you have pliers though, cause you'll need them with those hooks.
Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
02-27-2012, 06:00 PM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2012 06:05 PM by MikeH.)
(02-27-2012 01:23 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  That's great MikeH, thanks for sharing your trick.

I'm going to be getting a pair of split ring pliers to replace my worn out treble hooks. Can you recommend a brand of pliers? brand of new trebles? how do you size your hooks?

Thanks!

I bought real split ring pliers (the kind that jewel crafters use with the one point turned inwards) at my local Michaels craft store.
(02-27-2012 03:27 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  MikeH, nice looking baits there!

I started adding these to certain baits last year and they work deadly for pike and bass. And I agree with you when it comes to adding/holding a scent better, but after awhile they need to be changed up as they get kinda gummy.

MA, I switched to Mustad triple grips last year and they are deadly, especially from shore where the hook up ratio can be lessened. Make sure you have pliers though, cause you'll need them with those hooks.

With these trebles only being size 6 or 8's I use a pair of long handled hemostats that I picked up from shoppers drug mart. I used to have one of those old long handled plastic hook disgorgers with the thumb press, but it's currently resting somewhere on the bottom of Lake Simcoe.....Dodgy

02-27-2012, 08:02 PM
(02-27-2012 03:27 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  I started adding these to certain baits last year and they work deadly for pike and bass. And I agree with you when it comes to adding/holding a scent better, but after awhile they need to be changed up as they get kinda gummy.

Nice to hear an echo on the red dressings. What're they officially called? Hook skirts or something?

Any recommendations on a scent or DIY scent?

One more thing: lubing my knots with my spit. Do you guys do that? Would you think the smell of human saliva would deter fish?