You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Leaders for Pike Fishing?
02-28-2012, 02:39 AM
RE: Leaders for Pike?
(02-27-2012 08:02 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(02-27-2012 03:27 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  I started adding these to certain baits last year and they work deadly for pike and bass. And I agree with you when it comes to adding/holding a scent better, but after awhile they need to be changed up as they get kinda gummy.

Nice to hear an echo on the red dressings. What're they officially called? Hook skirts or something? Yeppers

Any recommendations on a scent or DIY scent? Berkley Powerbait for me...

One more thing: lubing my knots with my spit. Do you guys do that? Would you think the smell of human saliva would deter fish? Only if I have to. The water is right there, use it. Human saliva is full of digestive enzymes, meant to break down material. Not that it would make a huge difference, I mean, 20 million anglers can't be wrong, but at least you know water won't affect your line.

Hope this helps
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (02-28-2012)
03-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Leaders for Pike Fishing?
Hey,

I was just wondering what is the best way to go for leaders when fishing for pike. I tend to keep mine about 5 inches. I use the walmart brand southbend..there invisa leaders.

What are your opinions?
03-20-2012, 12:38 AM
RE: Leaders for Pike Fishing?
Threads merged

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-20-2012, 12:56 AM
Cool.

Yeah cus Ive been thinking of going leader less..or jus use fluoro as leader material and braid for my main line.
03-20-2012, 11:54 AM
(03-20-2012 12:56 AM)prime89 Wrote:  Cool.

Yeah cus Ive been thinking of going leader less..or jus use fluoro as leader material and braid for my main line.

There are situations where I do use a leader. If I do, it's generally about 16-18".

That being said, there are alot of factors that come into play.

Over the past few years that I got serious about pike fishing, hands down my favorite approach is to tie direct with 15-20lb braid. It has great abrasion resistance and easily handles the biggest of fish.

Sometimes, I do use a leader of the same as my mainline though, just so I have a barrel swivel attached to keep my presentation from spinning in the current. I do this mainly when I'm fishing the bottom of the water column in 10 FOW or more.

And I'm not a fan of Southbend products. I bought some 8lb mono for my kids rods, and when I was spooling it up, you can feel some stresses in the line. Fresh mono should be very smooth, and you shouldn't feel any nicks or stress on the line. I know the pricepoint is nice, but I'd pony up and spend a few more bucks on quality line, Like Trilene XT (for mono), or Powerpro braid, or Suffix 832 braid, or even duracast braid.

Hope this helps!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-21-2012)
03-20-2012, 12:04 PM
Would pike bite through 10 lb fluoro leader?
03-20-2012, 12:20 PM
(03-20-2012 12:04 PM)bettercallsaul Wrote:  Would pike bite through 10 lb fluoro leader?

He could, yep.

But I don't get bite offs hardly ever with braid. But fluoro does work well too.

Mono sucks though, lol.

The problem is when your talking about using a fluoro leader, its used to prevent bite offs right? So, depending on how you set it up, your adding one or two other connections to the mainline. Every connection is gonna lessen the strength of the mainline. So does that really help???

Another thing to remember too is that alot of guys that use fluoro leaders, are using 100lb+.

10lb isn't really gonna do much, but add connections and lessen the strength.

The one area where fluoro shines is it's invisibility. But honestly, for the most part I don't think that makes a very big difference, at least IMO.

But, in the end, the only way to know for yourself is to try it...
03-20-2012, 01:57 PM
(03-20-2012 11:54 AM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  
(03-20-2012 12:56 AM)prime89 Wrote:  Cool.

There are situations where I do use a leader. If I do, it's generally about 16-18".

That being said, there are alot of factors that come into play.

Over the past few years that I got serious about pike fishing, hands down my favorite approach is to tie direct with 15-20lb braid. It has great abrasion resistance and easily handles the biggest of fish.

Sometimes, I do use a leader of the same as my mainline though, just so I have a barrel swivel attached to keep my presentation from spinning in the current. I do this mainly when I'm fishing the bottom of the water column in 10 FOW or more.

And I'm not a fan of Southbend products. I bought some 8lb mono for my kids rods, and when I was spooling it up, you can feel some stresses in the line. Fresh mono should be very smooth, and you shouldn't feel any nicks or stress on the line. I know the pricepoint is nice, but I'd pony up and spend a few more bucks on quality line, Like Trilene XT (for mono), or Powerpro braid, or Suffix 832 braid, or even duracast braid.

Hope this helps!

Cool.

Oh no when it comes to line I don't with nething else but power pro braid or spiderwire for lightere setups. I just never really used leaders till this year when I started getting more serious with pike fishing.

I have one of my rods with 30 lb power pro braid..good quality stuff, I really think I can use that without a leader. I guess Il try that tommorow.
03-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Yeah man, give it a try!

If you land a good size pike, just make sure to check your line after and cut a small section off if it's damaged.

Shouldn't happen though...

I think some anglers don't give braid enough credit when it comes to abrasion resistance. It's really tough to break
03-20-2012, 02:43 PM
Yeah thts so true,because when i cut my braid for w.e reason, its very resistant, a clean isn't easy. If u have. High lbs test.

one thing I've learned about fishing is, u gota try it ur self and learn, I've read so many different articles and they all have.great info but u can't stick to something just cause a pro said it or certain product is marketed that way.
Trial and error, build ur game, fish hard. It's a sport.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to prime89 for this post:
manitoubass2 (03-20-2012), MichaelAngelo (03-21-2012)