You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Line counter reel recomendation
07-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Line counter reel recomendation
Not related to shore fishing, but I had a general question perhaps some of you have experience with. As I tinker with the idea of kayak trolling for Lake Ontario and Lake Simcoe's hardest fighters, I'm looking into a line counter reel to use with Torpedo Divers. Any recommendations or specific models to stay away from?

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-23-2013, 04:29 PM
RE: Line counter reel recomendation
I don't have any advice here re counters.....

.... but I do wonder how you plan to ensure velocity consistency in the kayak - so that needing to know line length becomes relative..................

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
07-23-2013, 07:49 PM
Man I have not owned a line counter reel for years.....I remember I use to have a shimano Bantam.....(not sure if they still make them). But I use to use it when I fished the bay of quinte with my dad from the boat.......man the walleye and sheep head I caught with that reel.
Find all posts by this user
07-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Okuma, 35/45 line counters are great.

if you want to shell out some money for a bit better of a reeel check out the rapala hydros, that would be for fresh water trolling..

~Jeremy.

Find all posts by this user
07-26-2013, 12:11 AM
(07-23-2013 04:29 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  I don't have any advice here re counters.....

.... but I do wonder how you plan to ensure velocity consistency in the kayak - so that needing to know line length becomes relative..................

OT

Indeed, I'm seeking the guidance of the local kayak fishing community. Just when I thought I had my bases covered... a door opens to a completely new ball game of fishing techniques.

07-26-2013, 03:15 PM
Mini clamp on downrigger............. I've used a Scotty on a canoe for controlled mid depth trolling - worked good........... in fact I still have the unit here, gathering dust..................

OT

See you on the river.
07-29-2013, 08:02 PM
(07-26-2013 03:15 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Mini clamp on downrigger............. I've used a Scotty on a canoe for controlled mid depth trolling - worked good........... in fact I still have the unit here, gathering dust..................

OT

I've looked into the mini scotty 'lake trollers' I think they're called. I think they want $100 for them today... jeeeze! I just wanted to make my own out of an old reel, broken rod, and a big hunk of lead LOL.

Did it catch fish?

07-30-2013, 03:33 PM
Yes - I did catch fish. But I was using it for smallmouth (for controlled depth trolling about 16-22 feet down).

I only tried it once for Lake Trout down 100 feet........... was a frustrating experience (no depth finder at the time - just charts). I kept dragging the ball.

I found that in the canoe - I just didn't have enough arms to effectively take care of paddling, fishing and a downrigger.

I know you have a good sonar so it may be easier for you......

.......... check your PM's in while..............

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
08-01-2013, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 12:27 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(07-30-2013 03:33 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Yes - I did catch fish. But I was using it for smallmouth (for controlled depth trolling about 16-22 feet down).

I only tried it once for Lake Trout down 100 feet........... was a frustrating experience (no depth finder at the time - just charts). I kept dragging the ball.

I found that in the canoe - I just didn't have enough arms to effectively take care of paddling, fishing and a downrigger.

I know you have a good sonar so it may be easier for you......

.......... check your PM's in while..............

Cheers,

OldTimer

Thanks OT, I'll get back to you on that soon... just been busy with work stuff.

Another question: When/what part of a lake would trolling 20 feet down for smallies be effective?

08-01-2013, 01:37 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2013 01:51 PM by OldTimer.)
(08-01-2013 12:27 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Another question: When/what part of a lake would trolling 20 feet down for smallies be effective?

In the hot mid-summer at a lake in Muskoka - the Smallmouth abandon the shorelines during midday.

One area of the lake has a stepped mid lake shoal as so:

Sectional view:

In the early morning & very late afternoon/evening of the summer- the bass will be on top of the shoal most days.

Late morning/noon/afternoon they flee to the shelter of the second drop off and seem to hug the slope in about 16 to 22 feet.

OT

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
MichaelAngelo (08-01-2013)