You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Micro Fishing Help..
11-09-2012, 08:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-09-2012 08:38 PM by Giuga10.)
Micro Fishing Help..
I recently received my "Owner Tanago Hooks (Smallest) snelled" ( http://www.tenkarabum.com/micro-fishing-hooks.html ) , and have been using them for a couple of days now, and have only gotten luck from Creek Chub.

I was wondering if I'm doing something wrong or if I'm just unlucky.

I fish at Robinson Creek. The fish that have been recorded at Robinson Creek are; White Sucker, Pumpkinseed, Fathead Minnow, Creek Chub, Blacknose Dace, Longnose Dace, Northern Redbelly Dace, Redside Dace, Brook Stickleback, Johnny Darter, Rainbow Trout, and Banded Killifish. So there is no shortage of micro species in this creek. Am I doing something wrong or am I just unlucky.

My Setup: Owner Tanago Hook (smallest) snelled with 1lb test red fluorocarbon. A small strike detector about 1 foot above the hook. And a small aluminum split shot two inches above the hook. I move the float and weight around when necessary.

[Image: NOcjo.jpg]

Where I fish: Robinson Creek

Temperature: 1-15 Degrees Celsius. Is the cold weather causing them to refrain from biting?

Bait I use: Very small piece of worm. Should I use something else?

I know the way I'm presenting the bait is working because I have caught some Guppies out of my fish tank Tongue.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-12-2012, 11:20 AM
RE: Micro Fishing Help..
I would imagine using the SMALLEST BOBBER POSSIBLE would be the ideal setup for this?

Personally, I love fishing for Panfish - So, I can relate to this topic.

My setup is similar to this, only I use FLY FISHING style bobbers/indicators.
The smallest bite is detectable using those style bobbers along with (no heavier than) 6lb MONO. (Why Mono? It floats. Where as Fluoro. slowly sinks - when your bobber goes down, you have to fight the water a bit, to finally set the hook - this is why I find MONO better....fine to use FLURO leader...but Mono for FLOAT FISHING situations)

Here's what I use as my bobber:

http://www.oakmountainoutfitters.com/med...ifsa_2.jpg

They come in 3-Sizes, I typically use the MIDDLE or LARGEST one - depending on my fishing situation and if I need to cast far Vs. Winds.

Thill also has what they call "Thill Shy-Bites" - They look like these, and are about 2-3" long? I can't remember for sure...

http://images10.newegg.com/NeweggImage/P...190948.jpg

The thing I find hardest with this, is casting. It looks to be best designed for "non-casting" situations (ie: fishing boat-docks or laydowns near shore).
Find all posts by this user
11-12-2012, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2012 05:21 PM by MuskieBait.)
A2F suggestion is okay for panfish, but some of the micros you wish to target is too small for that kind of rigging. You're talking about fish under 2" size after all. 6lb mono is way too thick and stiff for these tiny fish. Most float, even panfish size ones, are too small for micros. I've tried...doesn't work well for tiny fish. I've also tried fly fishing strike indicator...still a bit too big. See below.

I've caught minnows (creek chubs and common shiners) in January...and a friend of mine traps minnows in the creeks all winter...so the cold weather certainly isn't too cold for them.

Some of the fish you listed (Brook Stickleback, Johnny Dater) reside very close to shore on the bottom. They are also extremely wary of any commotion on the shore. Often times, they will spook just from your approach (vibration from your steps and any shadows or movement). They will disappear before you even get close enough to see them. They will either dart away, or hid among the rubble on the bottom. To target these, you need to present your bait on the bottom. Try to poke around the rocks, presenting your bait as close as you can to the side of the rock. Watch your baited hook carefully and watch for any twitches, movement or you may even see the little fish suck in your bait. It's all about sight fishing when for these guys.

Some of the fish you listed (Fathead Minnow, Blacknose Dace, Longnose Dace, Northern Redbelly Dace, Redside Dace) reside in current and again close to the bottom. Although they are sometimes less wary, they form mixed school with all the other minnows. The difficulty here is trying to present your bait to them before the creek chubs get to your bait. It's extremely difficult and frustrating. All you can do is to weed through all the creek chub and you may catch some of them eventually. Patience and perseverance here is the key. Again, you could improve your chance if you can see and identify specific species and repeatedly cast to them. Try to get your bait to the bottom as quickly as possible since that will decrease the chance that a creek chub can see it and take it.

See if you can get a tanago rod, or even a bamboo stick will be useful for micro fishing. You need to present your bait with precision, and presenting your bait on a tight line to likely areas is the best way to do it precisely. The tight line will also allow you to set the hook immediately, as opposed to picking up slack from a difting float rig. Some of these little fish can suck and spit a bait without ever quivering your float (nevermind pulling it down...remember, they are 2" fish!). A proper rod setup that allows you to present your bait gently, quietly and at a distance also increase your chance of catching them. That's why some tanago rods are over 10' so it allows people to present to fish without wading or walking too close to the fish.

Using a float rig in a creek = too many annoying creek chub that is spoiling your micro hunt.

Also, remember to focus on your target. If you see an area with only creek chub, move on. If you see an area with only trout smolt, move on. Fish the mixed school to improve your chance...better yet, see if you can find a school of your intended target only. Fishing for other larger fish with tanago hooks snelled with 1lb or less of mono could mean a lot of snapped line and lost hooks. Concentrate the tanago hook effort for the truly small fish that requires the tanago. Otherwise, use #24 hooks and larger for the other fish.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Giuga10 (11-12-2012), MichaelAngelo (11-16-2012)
11-16-2012, 09:14 AM (This post was last modified: 11-16-2012 09:15 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
I know this frustration. The creek chub are in thick in both the Rouge and Robinson creek. They spook with just the slightest light footsteps and I can see them spook and run amok from 5 yards away, letting you know that everything else in there is spooked as well.

Definitely calls for sitting crouched, quite and still for long periods of time and polarized glasses. My pursuit of stickleback this summer was fruitless, despite finding a spot where I could see them reliable (in Newmarket).

[Image: logobgs.png]