You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Mount joy this evening
04-02-2013, 01:38 PM
RE: Mount joy this evening
Still waiting for summer to try this pond out :-)

Anybody has suggestions on what kind of lures/hook size would work for this pond?
e.g. inline spinners/jigs for largemouth/crappie/pumkinseed? worms for carp and bullheads?

How weedy is this pond in summer?
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2013, 01:46 PM
(04-02-2013 01:38 PM)Freshwater Wrote:  Still waiting for summer to try this pond out :-)

Anybody has suggestions on what kind of lures/hook size would work for this pond?
e.g. inline spinners/jigs for largemouth/crappie/pumkinseed? worms for carp and bullheads?

How weedy is this pond in summer?

It doesn't get very weedy at all. In the spring last year the water was very clear. Clear enough to spot carp cruising by in the shallows. There are lots of snags in the pond, so I'd stick with a jig and a worm unless you're OK with loosing tackle.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Wow it's been a couple of years since I've fished mountjoy. probably because I prefer Milne instead. Lot's of carp indeed.
04-02-2013, 03:44 PM
Thanks Michael,

I'll stick with jig and worm.

I need to balance my "want" to experiment with the different types of lures with the need to use what is appropriate for the situation.
As much as I don't want to lose any tackle, I expect that to be part of the learning experience, on what not to do :-)
So the more insight I get from this forum, the less I hope to lose Big Grin
04-02-2013, 07:11 PM
(04-02-2013 03:39 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  Wow it's been a couple of years since I've fished mountjoy. probably because I prefer Milne instead. Lot's of carp indeed.

I have a hard time catching them though... Sad. I think the dumb ones have been eaten already.

04-02-2013, 07:49 PM
(04-02-2013 07:11 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I think the dumb ones have been eaten already.

Sadly true for most ponds in Markham.
04-02-2013, 10:46 PM
(04-02-2013 07:49 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 07:11 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I think the dumb ones have been eaten already.

I'm hoping that beginner's luck will strike me hard Tongue

I saw a youtube video on carp fishing using corn on a circle hook. Is this worth trying in Markham ponds? I've never caught a carp before. Huh
04-02-2013, 11:05 PM (This post was last modified: 04-02-2013 11:06 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(04-02-2013 10:46 PM)Freshwater Wrote:  
(04-02-2013 07:49 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  

I'm hoping that beginner's luck will strike me hard Tongue

I saw a youtube video on carp fishing using corn on a circle hook. Is this worth trying in Markham ponds? I've never caught a carp before. Huh

I've tried corn in there. There are many tiny fish that regularly stripped bait off my hook. I started making boilies for this reason, nothing complicated. I just mixed flour + jello powder + eggs + whatever I thought would be good (hot sauce, salt, garlic etc....), rolled them into little balls and boiled them until they floated.

It's a slippery slope.... LOL

Remember to check your bait frequently... don't get stuck fishing a bare hook like I did a few times last season! Big Grin

04-03-2013, 04:07 PM
Corn on size 10 octo hooks still works for me. caught 3lb carp last year summer. No hair rigs just simple corn-in-hook. Markham is slow on fishing (over-fished?). As long as I keep catching carp on simple corn rig, will keep doing it.
05-04-2013, 02:03 AM
(02-06-2013 10:05 AM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  No crappies caught, but we had a school of something nibbling at my bait near the end of the evening.

Good diversity for a 6 ft deep murky pond... goldfish, pumpkinseed, crappie, bass, carp, largemouth, bullhead....

there are some large 6/7lbs koi as well.