You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

NEW REGULATIONS FOR THE CREDIT RIVER
06-11-2014, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 03:09 PM by shaikhzees.)
NEW REGULATIONS FOR THE CREDIT RIVER
"We urge all anglers to release ALL fish they catch in the Credit River. The river cannot support harvest at the present time! CRAA, MNR and many other partners are trying to build the fish population for all species and harvest hurts these efforts and future fishing. We especially urge release of all WILD fish including ALL steelhead, brown trout, brook trout, bass and Atlantic salmon."

Question 1 : Is the above TRUE

Question 2 : Is Yes, does this means that we now have to release ALL of out catch.

Kindly advise.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 03:17 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 03:52 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: NEW REGULATIONS FOR THE CREDIT RIVER
(06-11-2014 03:08 PM)shaikhzees Wrote:  "We urge all anglers to release ALL fish they catch in the Credit River. The river cannot support harvest at the present time! CRAA, MNR and many other partners are trying to build the fish population for all species and harvest hurts these efforts and future fishing. We especially urge release of all WILD fish including ALL steelhead, brown trout, brook trout, bass and Atlantic salmon."

Question 1 : Is the above TRUE

Question 2 : Is Yes, does this means that we now have to release ALL of out catch.

Kindly advise.

What is the source of this particular "release"............... who is "we"

EDIT:................ and.............. aren't all fish "wild"...........................?............... I'd ignore this BS.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-11-2014, 06:44 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 06:45 PM by MuskieBait.)
Wild fish - born in the wild, not hatchery raised...

vs.

Stocked fish - hatchery raised...

Not sure where the quote came from...but at the present, MNR does not have a mandatory release for Steelhead or Brown Trout on the lower Credit. In the headwaters in the Upper Credit, it is mandatory release for Brook Trout and Brown Trout plus single barbless hook, artificial only regulation. Atlantic Salmon is closed all year so mandatory release also regardless of where in the river you caught it.

I do agree that releasing wild fish should be encouraged. Wild fish are better adapted to the particular natal streams vs. hatchery fish.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-11-2014, 09:05 PM
The quote comes from the credit river anglers association:

http://www.craa.on.ca/regulations.shtml
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to zippyFX for this post:
shaikhzees (06-13-2014)
06-11-2014, 10:00 PM
How can you tell if the fish is wild or stocked?
06-11-2014, 10:23 PM
(06-11-2014 10:00 PM)instapump416 Wrote:  How can you tell if the fish is wild or stocked?

One of the fins will be clipped.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Giuga10 for this post:
shaikhzees (06-13-2014)
06-12-2014, 12:16 PM
I release 99%+ of my catches. And I rarely have and doubt if I ever again fish the Credit.

However:

If the MNR had big concerns about any fishery area - they'd make it a sanctuary.

This is not a regulation - it is a carefully worded deceptive self serving statement created and issued by a special interest / location specific group.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-12-2014, 12:48 PM
I fish the credit sometimes and there is no special laws that make you catch and release. When I look at that link it just looks like those group wants people to catch and release but its not a law.

I don't know the specific numbers and figures of the fish, but the steelhead run is similar to duffins, 6-12 fish days are not uncommon. I've eaten some but mostly only the small ones
08-20-2014, 01:15 PM
The "New Regulations for the Credit River" on that website are from 2003 & 2004 !!!
CRAA is not MNR. They cannot create or make regulations.
08-20-2014, 06:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-20-2014 06:24 PM by Gambigator.)
(06-12-2014 12:48 PM)Toasty Wrote:  I fish the credit sometimes and there is no special laws that make you catch and release. When I look at that link it just looks like those group wants people to catch and release but its not a law.

I don't know the specific numbers and figures of the fish, but the steelhead run is similar to duffins, 6-12 fish days are not uncommon. I've eaten some but mostly only the small ones

There are however, banned dates/areas of the Credit where you aren't supposed to fish, which ARE Regulations:
http://www.creditvalleyca.ca/enjoy-the-o...gulations/
Quote:Exceptions for the Credit River

Regulation exceptions have been developed to provide anglers with additional opportunities or to protect fish during sensitive times of the year such as spawning periods. These exceptions are:

EXTENDED FALL SEASON for rainbow and brown trout and pacific salmon from the south side of Britannia Road upstream to the south side of the Highway 407 bridge
YEAR ROUND OPEN SEASON for rainbow trout, brown trout and pacific salmon from the south side of Highway 403 bridge downstream to Lake Ontario
NO FISHING for any species from August 15 to the Friday before the fourth Saturday in April in the Credit River and tributaries from the south side of the Highway 403 bridge upstream to the south side of the Britannia Road bridge
NO FISHING for any species from January 1 to the Friday before the fourth Saturday in April in the Credit River and tributaries from the south side of the Britannia Road bridge upstream to the south side of the Old Baseline Road bridge, excluding Levi’s Creek and Fletcher’s Creek
NO FISHING for any species from October 1 to the Friday before the fourth Saturday in April in the Credit River and tributaries from the south side of the Old Baseline Road bridge in Caledon upstream to Highway 9
Rainbow trout, brook trout and brown trout catch and possession limit of zero and only artificial lures (no organic bait) with one single-pointed barbless hook can be used when angling the Credit River and tributaries upstream of Old Baseline Road in Caledon

I also found this article helpful for the CVC:
http://www.creditvalleyca.ca/enjoy-the-o...s/fishing/