You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New Angular: Fishing Hamilton: 2015
07-04-2015, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 06:45 AM by philantropie.)
RE: New Angler: Fishing Hamilton: 2015
Last night, I bought another 24 of worms, and grabbed a pretty sweet lure from Fish World.

Today, I wake up at 5:45-6am, get out of the house at roughly 6:30am.
Started off with my down rig with two hooks, and a sinker. I caught two tiny rock bass with 2 hours. After that, I didn't really catch anything for another hour. It seems like the sun was really starting to shine and the water got warmer because there was a lot more activity in the water. There was this humongous rock bass just looping around the in the water by the shore.

I then set up my down rig with a sinker, hook and worm, and a rubber lure that had a couple hooks on it. Put some attractant on the lure, and the bass didn't want *any* part of the my rig at all. So I added a little more attractant and I must have got some on the sinker because the fish tried to grab it. Then finally, the bass tried the lure but spat it back out *twice!*. Sneaky little bugger. Big Grin

At that point, I figured the sinker was in the way so I attached the sinker to the swivel and the down rig was in a triangular formation. No luck.

At this point in late morning, I seen that big rock bass chase after some smaller fish, and it make me thing he was hungry. So I figured trying my lure I bought yesterday. So twenty-minutes pass, finally have it all rigged up with a 4" line that was tied into the swivel on my mainline. Drop the lure back in and I see it floating. The lure was a medium diver. Yes, was. I'll get to that in a bit. I never really knew it had buoyancy. So, rather than make a lot of noise and waste my attempt at the fish, I attached a sinker on the swivel inline to the rig. The fish immediately sparks interest in it but kept eying it. Added attractant, and BAM.

The bass had a lot more energy than the lake trout I had hooked Wednesday. I had to reel my rod in 3 times before it had given up. Grabbed my net, but being that this was my first time catching such a big fish, the lure got caught in the net!! I knew I had to act fast, so I ended up lifting the net and the rod at the same time while the fish was still hooked up to the lure. I tried to disengage the lure, but then my glove got stuck in the lure with the net.

Within 30 seconds I had disengaged the lure, net, and the fish. Admiring the size, I sat it into the lake and it swam away like a bat out of hell. Smile

At this moment in time, I was thinking deeper, bigger! So I cut the lure off the small line on the swivel, and knotted a foot line together with the lure and the mainline with the sinker still on.

Go to cast my rod with the reel flipped and somehow my line broke closer to the reel and my lure ended up being about 15 ft into the lake.

An hour after, I decided to just pack up and head out. It was mid-day, just past 12pm and I rode home. With being so ambitious and thinking about wanting to catch more big bass, I went to Canadian Tire and grabbed four more lures of the same brand so I can go back out tonight, or tomorrow. Or both.

I didn't take any pictures because I was flustered again. But once I get the process down better, and quicker, I'll definitely take pictures. I swear it was a trophy rock bass. I mean, it had to be 5-7 lb., I'd say closer to 5 lb.. Had to use both hands to handle the fish and it was about the size of my trout net. Maybe a little smaller. I'd say maybe 10-12" in total.

Tomorrow or next weekend, I'm going to end up taking my GoPro camera with me and just put it on time-lapse taking pictures every 2 seconds. So I'll take a picture every two seconds while it is attached to a tree, or on the shore. That way, it's just a no-brainer way to take a picture. Grab fish, put fish to camera for two seconds, release. Easy-peasy. Less fumble with cellphone, etc..
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 05:31 PM
RE: New Angular: Fishing Hamilton: 2015
Pics would certainly help, but I doubt it was a 5 lb. rock bass. The world record is only about 3 lbs.
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2015, 06:29 PM
Maybe it was 3 lb. then. It felt massive, I had to use two hands to get it into the water. Maybe I have a chance to catch the same one. I seen it at the same spot later in the day yesterday. Smile
07-06-2015, 10:24 AM (This post was last modified: 07-06-2015 10:26 AM by MuskieBait.)
A fish that is 10-12" length is not going to be 5lbs. Very far from it. That ratio of length vs. weight is not even possible with boxy and heavy fish like a Porcupinefish or Lumpsucker.

If your Rockbass is 10-12" as compared to your net, it will likely weight around 1lb. Here's a length vs. weight chart published by Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission. You will see that average weight of a 10" Rockbass is 0.6lb, and at 12" it is 1.2lb.

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/fish...ength2.pdf

Fishing tales are great...but at least make them a bit more believable. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
07-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Well, it wasn't a tale, I really did figure it was 5 lb.. It was quite large. I've never caught a fish that big before. And yes, it was the size of my net. Sad
I'll be bringing a camera with me from now. I also bought the same lure and 3 other similar lures by the same brand. I'll catch another one.
07-13-2015, 07:06 AM
(07-05-2015 05:31 PM)Fossil Fish Wrote:  Pics would certainly help, but I doubt it was a 5 lb. rock bass. The world record is only about 3 lbs.

Perhaps it was a fossilized Rock Bass?................. smile

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
philantropie (07-13-2015)
07-13-2015, 04:37 PM
Forget the camera............... get a weigh scale.
Find all posts by this user
07-13-2015, 06:02 PM
Cheeky buggers aren't we?

This topic is totally *off-topic* now, an operator can close it. The thread is ruined.
#1 for being trolled I guess. Now, across the fjords and back under your bridge.

Until next time.
Wink
07-14-2015, 08:23 AM (This post was last modified: 07-14-2015 12:42 PM by MuskieBait.)
(07-13-2015 06:02 PM)philantropie Wrote:  Cheeky buggers aren't we?

This topic is totally *off-topic* now, an operator can close it. The thread is ruined.
#1 for being trolled I guess. Now, across the fjords and back under your bridge.

Until next time.
Wink

Easy there. Yes, some of us will be cheeky at times. It's all in good fun.

Gail has a point though. It's great to use a weight scale when you are new to fishing and new to the different shapes and sizes of fish. You'll have a much better idea for the weight of fish you are catching.

BTW, if anyone on this board is a troll, they would correct your spelling first thing before or without offering any help. Just to be helpful, it is spelt ANGLER, not "Angular". But no one trolled your spelling in the past, so don't be so fast on that trigger and called out people as "trolls". Wink Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
07-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Quote:Gail has a point though. It's great to use a weight scale when you are new to fishing and new to the different shapes and sizes of fish. You'll have a much better idea for the weight of fish you are catching.

A scale will come in due-time. I'll have to learn how to put it on a scale without damaging the fish at all. Won't be doing that for a while though until I've perfected the netting, unhooking and picturing of the beast before setting it back free.

How long should a fish be out of water? I'm guessing there will be all types of answers. Between Conservation/ Sport fishing, catch/ release, and keep.
I'm totally speaking conservation: catch and release; a moot answer would be as soon as possible, but I'm looking for more than that.

Quote:BTW, if anyone on this board this a troll, they would correct your spelling first thing before or without offering any help. Just to be helpful, it is spelt ANGLER, not "Angular". But no one trolled your spelling in the past, so don't be so fast on that trigger and called out people as "trolls". Wink Tongue

Did try to correct it by editing the post. The correction seemed on-point, but that never did anything for the title of the post. Smile