You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New User Welcome
07-06-2013, 07:09 AM
New User Welcome
I was excited to stumble across the shore fishing form. I live in Barrie with my two sons who are 12 and 16 years. We are novice fisherman even though we have been fishing for about five years. Like many places in Ontario Barrie is surrounded by many lakes with Lake Simcoe on its doorstep and Georgian bay a thirty minute drive.The biggest problem we encounter is getting access for fishing. There is so much private land that access is quite a challenge. I grew up in northern Ontario and find the crowded public places where access is available (like on the lakefront in barrie) unappealing. To me fishing is associated with getting out in nature, finding a somewhat secluded spot, and listening to the loons. Needless to say I have had trouble finding opportunities like this for shore fishing. These are available in temagami where there is ample crown land but not so much down here. Last year I learned that the OPP frown on fishing close to bridges and treadles after me and my two sons were met by a very stern swat uniformed officer as we walked out from our excursion to a tressle on the green and black rivers. We fish mostly for bass and perch but are certainly open to extending to other species. If anyone knows of good shore fishing possibilities within an hour of Barrie and would share that info it would be much appreciated.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-06-2013, 11:26 AM
RE: New User Welcome
Welcome!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Welcome from another new member!
07-09-2013, 12:08 PM
I heard that there was lots of shore fishing spots in Barrie, around Heritage and Centennial Park, and the pier on Dock Road.
07-11-2013, 08:02 PM
If only there was a way to target those awesome Simcoe lakers from shore. You could send a minnow out on a balloon, but it would be impossible to get it deep enough when launching from shore LOL.

Do you guys ice fish? Definitely something to keep in mind when winter rolls around... Simcoe's a blast for ice fishing!

[Image: logobgs.png]
07-17-2013, 07:14 AM
Hey MooseRapids,

Welcome to OSF.

Regards,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
07-17-2013, 12:08 PM
Does Simcoe freeze over during the winter? I have never really considered ice fishing.
07-17-2013, 12:59 PM
Shore to shore..........

See you on the river.
07-17-2013, 03:32 PM
(07-17-2013 12:59 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Shore to shore..........

oooh intriguing. I am getting ahead of myself though. If I cant catch during summer then I'd tend to assume winter could only be worse.
07-17-2013, 03:52 PM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 04:31 PM by OldTimer.)
Hey Alex,

Actually the ice fishing is not so bad.

Here's a tip to accelerate your (and other newbie's) learning on this site:

.........Go fishing, ............take a few pics if possible, and then post a "first report" describing the general location (specifics are neither necessary nor wise), what gear and tackle you used, and the experience envelope. Just do your best and enjoy the process.

Too many members believe that a report has to be a polished piece suitable for the Times........... NOT SO!............... they simply should be truthful and honest. Most likely this will gain you access to the reports based (of course) on MA's review for suitability and content.

In fact you need not even catch fish........... reports of a "skunking" are EQUALLY valuable as brilliant success - since they serve to inform others of a low catch % event/location, and thus save others the bother and frustration.

The site is about sharing............ both our good days, and our not so great days....... in this way we all learn more, much more quickly and effectively................. Dig?

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.