You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to Ontario
07-14-2013, 01:37 PM
New to Ontario
Hello Folks

just thought I would take a minute to introduce myself to you all on OSF. I am new to Canada, moved to Burlington, Ontario last year from Scotland and must say I love this place. I am just finding my feet here at the moment with the fishing thing, back in Scotland the only fishing I done was fly fishing(trout) and I love it. Problem I have here is trying to find good fly fishing spots around Burlington and surrounding area's. I have bought a spinning rod to try and learn an other fishing method that will get me on the water. Second problem now is I do not have great knowledge of what gear to use on the spinning rod setup and again I now need to find places where I can fish with the new rod. Saying that, this is all part of the fun of fishing, discovering and finding places that produce a good days fishing. Any guidance would be greatly welcome with regard to spinning set up's, I have heard about bottom bouncing/ float fishing/ roe bags/spinning with lures........all alien to me but looking forward to trying them all.I work in Alberta and when I get back to Burlington(every 5 weeks) I have 2 weeks off, so if anyone is available and would like a fishing buddy for the day please get in touch, I don't mind paying for gas/lunch/drinks or anything else that crop's up I just need to learn the finer point's of fishing and enjoying what Southern Ontario has to offer.
Anyway folks that's a brief update about myself and I look forward to reading about all your great days out on this forum and hopefully one day I will be able to post on here about my own great day out fishing in this area...............Tight Lines Everybody.

Cheers

Dave
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-14-2013, 01:57 PM
RE: New to Ontario
Welcome Dave!

There is some great fishing to be done in Ontario! I'm not from Burlington so I can't help you with any spots sadly. During the summer you can target resident Trout if you can find a river that holds them but once mid to late August comes Salmon will hit the rivers for their spawning run, and that is a great time to fly fish or use a spinning rod with the methods you mentioned, just make sure your tackle is strong enough to handle a Salmon. Around mid September Rainbow and Brown Trout will hit the rivers following the Salmon and munching on their eggs while they prepare to spawn. The Rainbow Trout will be in the rivers from around September all the way until around mid May but the Browns will leave a few months earlier as they do the majority of their spawning during the winter months. I recently caught my first Rainbow Trout on the fly this spring and it was an amazing experience. The next coming months will be great times to bust out the fly rod.

Hope this helped a bit,
Giuga10
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-14-2013, 02:07 PM
Giuga10

thanks for the info,in one message I now know more about the trout/salmon runs than I did 30 mins ago,great information.........Thank you.
With regard to your first rainbow on the fly rod I hope it is the first of many, and as you said it is an amazing experience.........thats the reason I only ever fly fished as the feeling of a good size rainbow or wild brown trout on the end of a fly rod is unbeatable, and you never know if you going to succeed in getting it in to the net,,,,,,,priceless.
Anyway Giuga10 hope you have a great season on the water.

cheers

Dave
Find all posts by this user
07-17-2013, 07:35 AM (This post was last modified: 07-17-2013 07:36 AM by OldTimer.)
Hi Davie,

Welcome to Ontario - it's a great wee place.

Check out the Grand River.

http://www.grandriver.ca/index/document....1=0&sub2=0

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user