You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

New to fishing
05-06-2012, 05:51 PM
New to fishing
Hi guys, I've been fishing for 3 days now in Toronto - from Humber Bay to Tommy Thompson Park and only got one bite at TTP! Often times we see the fishes jump in the middle of the river/pond, where it's beyond our reach. Are we simply unlucky? We fish along the shores with plastic worms, so we're wondering if we're using the wrong bait.

Any ideas on how to fish on the shore?

Thanks
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-06-2012, 08:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-06-2012 08:54 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: New to fishing
The fish you saw jumping are likely carp. If you wish to target carp, check out some of the information that MikeH had posted. Carp will usually not take a plastic worm.

At the moment, bass season is closed and you cannot target largemouth or smallmouth bass. Using a plastic worm will not be very effective for other fish aside from bass or the odd pike.

Pike season just opened for Lake Ontario. You can try to fish for pike with spoons, spinnerbait, crankbait or swimbait. Cast and retrieve these and cover water along the shorelines. Places where the sun can warm the water and areas with fresh green weeds that oxygenate the water will be the best places to find pike at the moment. Even better if there are bait in the area.

Luck = preparation + opportunity. If you are not prepared, you cannot take opportunity of the fish that are willing to bite in the area...thus, you would become unlucky.

To change your luck, learn about what fish are active (and open season) right now, where you can find them, how they would react to various bait or lure and what lures you would need to get them to bite.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
MichaelAngelo (05-09-2012)
05-07-2012, 08:58 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2012 09:01 AM by MikeH.)
If you are just starting out and looking to get into fish, I would recommend that you switch to using whole or half cut live Dew Worms and scale your hook size down to around #8. Most fish will happily take a live worm. you will need to read the MNR regs on out of season fish for your fishing location. Either put the worm directly on the bottom, or rig it on a four ft tail and let it drift around under a bubble float.

*If you decide to target a specifc species, such as Pike, then read up on some basics, as per Muskiebaits suggestion. Make sure you know the regs on out of season fish at your location.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I feel your pain. I haven't caught anything yet this year, but I took my son fishing at Grenadier Pond on Sunday and the biggest largemouth I've ever seen swam past us (less than 10 feet away/3 feet below) and I swear he was laughing.
05-07-2012, 10:04 PM
(05-06-2012 05:51 PM)kevan Wrote:  Hi guys, I've been fishing for 3 days now in Toronto - from Humber Bay to Tommy Thompson Park and only got one bite at TTP! Often times we see the fishes jump in the middle of the river/pond, where it's beyond our reach. Are we simply unlucky? We fish along the shores with plastic worms, so we're wondering if we're using the wrong bait.

Any ideas on how to fish on the shore?

Thanks

Hey!
Welcome! I am still on the same situation.... no hooked fish yet Smile but keep trying Dodgy
05-09-2012, 09:54 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2012 09:54 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
(05-07-2012 07:48 PM)Fransky Wrote:  I feel your pain. I haven't caught anything yet this year, but I took my son fishing at Grenadier Pond on Sunday and the biggest largemouth I've ever seen swam past us (less than 10 feet away/3 feet below) and I swear he was laughing.

hahah don't you just hate that! I fish swim coasts right by and your line's all the way out!

Can't count how many times that's happened to me.

I started fishing in January this year and didn't get a fish until March....

[Image: logobgs.png]
05-09-2012, 09:55 AM
(05-06-2012 08:54 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Luck = preparation + opportunity. If you are not prepared, you cannot take opportunity of the fish that are willing to bite in the area...thus, you would become unlucky.

To change your luck, learn about what fish are active (and open season) right now, where you can find them, how they would react to various bait or lure and what lures you would need to get them to bite.

Golden! Big Grin

[Image: logobgs.png]
05-09-2012, 10:47 AM
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW!

Broke the slump yesterday!!! 1 bluegill and 1 perch. Small, but legit. And I saw some lunkers in Grenadier Pond. There are big boys in there, but they're spooky
05-09-2012, 10:56 AM
(05-09-2012 10:47 AM)Fransky Wrote:  YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW!

Broke the slump yesterday!!! 1 bluegill and 1 perch. Small, but legit. And I saw some lunkers in Grenadier Pond. There are big boys in there, but they're spooky

Nice! Cool

Grenadier pond should warm up pretty quick this month (compared to open water on the harbourfront). There are some decent sized Carp in the pond, and a few stocked Bass too. dont forget bass seasons not open until mid-june though.

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
05-09-2012, 11:07 AM
Oh, I know. I used the word "lunker" to mean "big fish teasing me" Smile I actually think they were walleye facing up-current and eating whatever went by. They weren't 10 feet from the sidewalk. There were 3 that were easily 16 inches long, each.