You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Now that's different
11-04-2012, 07:17 PM
Now that's different
Saw this pic on another site - the poster claims that this fish was caught this week on a local river I enjoy.

Interesting and quite rare in that trib I believe.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2012, 08:56 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 11:03 PM by Giuga10.)
RE: Now that's different
Wow... very cool.

My local creek used to house some small Rainbows but with the land developing it eliminated the species Sad. Hopefully one day we can reestablish them. Nothing like a Laker in a trib though. Never knew they ran in the rivers.

Giuga10
11-04-2012, 10:31 PM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2012 10:31 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(11-04-2012 07:17 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Saw this pic on another site - the poster claims that this fish was caught this week on a local river I enjoy.

Interesting and quite rare in that trib I believe.

OT

Now that IS different and an acquaintance of mine posted a picture on facebook with his own laker he caught in the trib!

Maybe there's a "laker run" this year Confused

I never saw a picture of one caught in a trib until that one.

[Image: logobgs.png]
11-05-2012, 08:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-05-2012 08:49 AM by OldTimer.)
I wonder if this fish's presence may be partially due to the fact that the river flow grew to eight times it's normal level during the recent hurricane prompted rainfall.

OldTimer

See you on the river.
11-05-2012, 04:32 PM
I've dug around a bit and have seen several other reports of lakers being caught in the river over the past few weeks.

Also found this article on Lake Trout stockings - apparently 450,000 yearling Lake Trout have been stocked off Dunnville over the last 3 years.

Perhaps you're right about that run MA. Too bad they're out of season.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
11-05-2012, 05:55 PM
On a certain east trib, a lake trout run occurs every fall, but the timing and duration is very short...so it is mostly a hit or miss. People who regularly fish that trib will go out specifically for lake trout for a few days when the run is happening. There are a couple of river mouths on the west side that also get some lake trout in the fall.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-05-2012, 07:09 PM
(11-05-2012 05:55 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  On a certain east trib, a lake trout run occurs every fall, but the timing and duration is very short...so it is mostly a hit or miss. People who regularly fish that trib will go out specifically for lake trout for a few days when the run is happening. There are a couple of river mouths on the west side that also get some lake trout in the fall.

Neat stuff.

What's particularly of interest here though is that the fish are well upstream after successfully negotiating a "fish-way".

See you on the river.
11-05-2012, 09:16 PM
(11-05-2012 07:09 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(11-05-2012 05:55 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  On a certain east trib, a lake trout run occurs every fall, but the timing and duration is very short...so it is mostly a hit or miss. People who regularly fish that trib will go out specifically for lake trout for a few days when the run is happening. There are a couple of river mouths on the west side that also get some lake trout in the fall.

Neat stuff.

What's particularly of interest here though is that the fish are well upstream after successfully negotiating a "fish-way".

Yeah, I know...but that "fish-way" isn't really much to navigate at all. I've heard of the odd muskie, and even lake sturgeon well upstream in places where you usually fish. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
11-06-2012, 05:26 PM
(11-05-2012 09:16 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Yeah, I know...but that "fish-way" isn't really much to navigate at all. I've heard of the odd muskie, and even lake sturgeon well upstream in places where you usually fish. Wink

Yes - I've seen pictures of small muskie caught there.

I note that particular fishway was specifically designed for sturgeon.

My point is that Lake Trout running well upsttream in a river during their spawning season is not the norm and is quite unusual in this river - Furthermore - I believe their method of spawning is a broadcast in still waters not on a redd in a current.

See you on the river.