You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Okuma RTX anyone?
06-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Okuma RTX anyone?
I've heard good things about these reels. Here's a good primer:

http://www.nzfishingworld.co.nz/news/201...-spin-reel

Has anybody owned or tried one?

Eventually I will have to replace my Pfleuger Supreme MGX. It's just over 1 year old and has been rife with issues... now starting to lose smoothness and become rough. Maybe some new grease will fix it.

In 1 year of operation it has broken a drag knob which ended up tightening when the fish took line and also lost a bail spring. The bail doesn't work properly anymore, catching line and not returning line to the roller.

The Supreme MGX hasn't been a pleasant experience, except for its feather weight.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-11-2014, 09:09 AM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 12:40 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Okuma RTX anyone?
It would look nice next to my Komodo...same colour scheme...

The smaller sizes would probably be OK...but for a 4000 size reel I would prefer to have something with a metal body construction...because you just never know when that next big stingray may come along...

It has Japanese oiled felt washer...which I've used for the last 10 years and it's good...but it does require cleaning at least once a year.

BTW, not sure lightweight is always best when it comes to bigger size reels. For example, my 4000 size reel goes on my 9' rod. when you put a 9oz reel on a 9' rod, the rod will be horribly tip heavy. I put a 13oz reel and it balances just in front of the reel seat...so it should still need an ounce or two there. A heavier reel on a balanced rod/reel setup will feel much lighter than a light reel on a tip heavy rod/reel setup during use.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
06-11-2014, 03:15 PM
........... and when you consider outfit balance (for comfort and ease) - include in your reasoning the weight of the lures you'll be casting re the actual balance point position.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-11-2014, 04:37 PM
nothing beats shimano reliability in my eyes....my trusty stradic aero 2000 has been my spinning reel for the last 15 years and its still in perfect working condition with a million battle scars and hundreds of fish caught....it may not look so pretty no more but it still sees lots of use compared with all my new gear...
Find all posts by this user
06-11-2014, 05:31 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 05:33 PM by MuskieBait.)
(06-11-2014 03:15 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  ........... and when you consider outfit balance (for comfort and ease) - include in your reasoning the weight of the lures you'll be casting re the actual balance point position.

Yeah...that too...

Casting a heavy weight with a tip heavy rod on a long cast...it'll rip the rod out of your grip...
(06-11-2014 04:37 PM)MRQturbo Wrote:  nothing beats shimano reliability in my eyes....my trusty stradic aero 2000 has been my spinning reel for the last 15 years and its still in perfect working condition with a million battle scars and hundreds of fish caught....it may not look so pretty no more but it still sees lots of use compared with all my new gear...

My older Pflueger Trion and Solara had been going strong for over 10 years...but these newer Pfluegers apparently are not very dependable...

But then again Michael also had issues with his Shimano...maybe it's just Michael. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

06-11-2014, 05:51 PM
Yellow banana corrosion no doubt.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
06-11-2014, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 06-11-2014 06:39 PM by MuskieBait.)
Well, if you are fishing on a yellow banana, then you should go with cheaper reels that can be thrown away. As much as you can prevent corrosion, it will eventually happen. As much as you can prevent dunking, you will eventually flip over. Freshwater isn't so bad...flipping over in the surf zone...saltwater + sand = reel killer...might as well toss them away once you dunk them.

Friends of mine in California buy cheap reels for surf fishing...those sub-$50 reels...because they can replace them every 2 years and it doesn't hurt as much to throw them out.

There's always an argument for bling...and an argument for ghetto...depends on the situation and where you fish most.

Malama o ke kai

06-16-2014, 08:39 PM
LOL yeah I've got issues with everything... guess I'm picky or I just spent too much time using things. Tongue

I'm at a point where I either buy something good that'll last or keep going on with the "over the counter" reels.

I think if I lube up the Pfleuger Supreme MG and sort out the bail situation it should keep on trucking. I still like that reel... just severely disapointed in its durability. Well, can't mix ultralight and durable I guess Tongue.

06-16-2014, 09:40 PM (This post was last modified: 06-17-2014 12:22 AM by MuskieBait.)
(06-16-2014 08:39 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I think if I lube up the Pfleuger Supreme MG and sort out the bail situation it should keep on trucking. I still like that reel... just severely disapointed in its durability. Well, can't mix ultralight and durable I guess Tongue.

I've been saying that forever...but people just don't like to listen Rolleyes Plastic flexes and bends...when that happens gears are out of alignment and wears out quicker...and even parts like the bail wire can bend out of shape. Metal is much heavier but it does keep the integrity of the reel much better.

Yes, you should overhaul your reels every few months if you are using them heavily...and I would consider your use as heavy...2-3 times a week plus some serious pulling fish...

Malama o ke kai

06-16-2014, 11:15 PM
(06-16-2014 09:40 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  ...2-3 times a week plus some serious pulling fish...

Unfortunately it's more like once a week now, hopefully I'll get back into the swing of things soon.