You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Owen Sound Salmon Derby 2012
08-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Owen Sound Salmon Derby 2012
At Wednesday Aug 29 2012 the salmon leader weighs in at under 20 pounds:

http://www.sydenhamsportsmen.com/derby/update.php

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2012, 10:51 AM
RE: Owen Sound Salmon Derby 2012
(08-30-2012 06:59 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  At Wednesday Aug 29 2012 the salmon leader weighs in at under 20 pounds:

Wow.... Seems like an easy win considering no one has broken 20 LBS yet.
And the prizes are amazing. Sadly it's 3.5 hours away from me so I wont be going Sad.

Giuga10
08-30-2012, 11:55 AM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 12:00 PM by MuskieBait.)
(08-30-2012 10:51 AM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(08-30-2012 06:59 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  At Wednesday Aug 29 2012 the salmon leader weighs in at under 20 pounds:

Wow.... Seems like an easy win considering no one has broken 20 LBS yet.
And the prizes are amazing. Sadly it's 3.5 hours away from me so I wont be going Sad.

Giuga10

My friend and his grandfather have been fishing in the spring salmon derby in Owen Sound for years. Georgian Bay salmons (Chinook, Coho, Pinks and Atlantics) are much smaller than Lake Ontario salmon in size...even if they are the same species. It's not even easy to break 15lbs in some years. It will not be an easy win if you think you can just go and break 20lbs. RolleyesWinkBig Grin

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
08-30-2012, 01:04 PM
(08-30-2012 11:55 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  My friend and his grandfather have been fishing in the spring salmon derby in Owen Sound for years. Georgian Bay salmons (Chinook, Coho, Pinks and Atlantic's) are much smaller than Lake Ontario salmon in size...even if they are the same species. It's not even easy to break 15lbs in some years. It will not be an easy win if you think you can just go and break 20lbs. RolleyesWinkBig Grin

Wow, I never knew that. It's weird how in different areas the fish don't get as big as they usually do.

Thanks for the heads up,
Giuga10
08-30-2012, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2012 02:57 PM by OldTimer.)
(08-30-2012 11:55 AM)MuskieBait Wrote:  My friend and his grandfather have been fishing in the spring salmon derby in Owen Sound for years. Georgian Bay salmons (Chinook, Coho, Pinks and Atlantics) are much smaller than Lake Ontario salmon in size...even if they are the same species. It's not even easy to break 15lbs in some years. It will not be an easy win if you think you can just go and break 20lbs. RolleyesWinkBig Grin

True - the fish are smaller these days. Last years win was just over 21 pounds as I recall.

I too fished many of the derbies. In fact one year I won largest misc. fish .......... dig this......... for a carp. Another year I got a small prize for a 14 pound rainbow I caught in mouth of the Pott.

Many years ago there was a spike of max weight in Georgian Bay when some so called "super salmon" eggs were brought here and used for the stocking stocks.

Water is colder, growth seasons are shorter, and less forage than Lake Ontario.

However whats cool is that a good portion of the salmon up there are from natural production, or assisted production - and not mostly hatchery stock as is down here.

Heres a new read, that has some worthwhile info, if you are interested:

.pdf  Chinnok Salmon in Lake Huron.pdf (Size: 3.88 MB / Downloads: 45)

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
08-31-2012, 10:12 AM
Fascinating points about Georgian Bay salmon, I did not know.

Hmmmm... 3.5 hour drive eh? What if I bring one from Lake O and claim it as a Huron fish *sketchy eyes*.... LOL An aquarium will be rigged in my trunk, of course Smile

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-03-2012, 03:54 PM
Final results:

See you on the river.