You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Pier fishing and grappling hooks
08-22-2015, 08:57 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 09:06 AM by Aquaneko.)
Pier fishing and grappling hooks
Does anyone know where to buy a folding grappling hook in Toronto? If so how much and approx. how much weight can the hook hold?

My main use will be on piers where as a backpacker I don't want to bring a large fishing net. Key example would be at Center Island at the large pier. I have seen videos on youtube of people fishing on piers and using a grappling hook to lift thier catch up. It was amazing.

My other use is for when climbing wave breakers (ie. Jacksons Point wave breakers) when walking the slippery algae rocks I would like to throw a grappling hook up into the rocks to give me some support guide line as I climb the rocks. Also to help others around me climbing the breakers.

Here is a youtube video some gals catching some big fish. Big GrinSmile

Hmm.. I wonder if you did catch and release on the large pier at Center Island can you just drop the fish back into the water without harming it? I figure that pier would be in deeper waters or extended out already quite a ways.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2015, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 10:13 AM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Pier fishing and grappling hooks
The issue with those grappling hook, known as rope gaff, is that you will not be able to release the fish. You are thus assuming that every fish you hook and land will be desirable for consumption. If you caught a large fish that you do not intend to kill and consume, what is your other option to land the fish?

The rope gaff is also very difficult to operate own your own. As you dangle the gaff off the side, it is prone to spin in the wind thus creating opportunities for the gaff or rope to tangle your fishing line. Also, you will not be able to react quick enough to move the rope and the gaff away if a fish runs into the rope. Physically, you only have an arm's stretch distance to pull the gaff away. This method is best used when a fishing partner can help you out.

A similar but more conservation-minded method, the pier net would allow you to release unwanted catches. It would still require a partner to net the fish. Pier nets need not to be big if your catches a medium size. A well built crab net can often suffice.

I've seen too many people use rope gaff to land unwanted fish and subsequently release the fish with a large wound from the gaff. It was very prevalent in Florida, especially the day we were fishing in Tampa when people were gaffing large (20-40lb) Cownose Ray and throwing them back into the water after gaffing. Sometimes, one gaff was not secure enough and a second gaff was used. I had a pier net and offered to help but their response was "Who cares, it's a trash fish anyways." This complete lack of respect for wildlife is why I am very against the use of a rope gaff.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2015, 10:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 02:00 PM by OldTimer.)
I have to concur with MuskieBait in that the use of a rope gaff or even a flying gaff may not be wise, and definitely is not something one does alone with ease.

I might also point out that a gaff for landing fish is not a climber’s grapple.

A better choice might be a collapsible pier net, or (expensive) folding telescopic net which do come in great lengths…

……………. Or “Red Green” one from a standard net with a broom handle or long wood dowel jammed in the end.

Also note......Releasing larger fish from a high elevation position can cause severe internal organ damage or inflict system shock that may cripple or kill.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
08-22-2015, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-22-2015 10:40 AM by MuskieBait.)
(08-22-2015 10:04 AM)OldTimer Wrote:  Also note......Releasing larger fish from a high elevation position can cause severe internal organ damage or inflict system shock that may cripple or kill.

I depends on the type of release. Dropping the fish down from the pier can cause severe damage. Lowering the fish down using the pier net, gently and in a controlled fashion, greatly increase their chance of survival. The bonus to the pier net release is the ability to revive the fish in the water until it is strong enough to swim away. A weakened fish struggling to swim will not survive long against predators, especially in areas like Florida where sharks pick off the weak and injured.

You can easily adapt an existing net into a pier net. A friend of mine who fishes the Center Island pier often simply made his own pier net from a regular large hoop net and landed fish with it, including some big Common Carp.

I have used the Frabill collapsable landing net. If you decide to get one, I would recommend that you superglue the junction between the tube ends shut. That junction tends to open causing structural failure during use. The junction also allows water to seep in causing the metal wire inside the tube to corrode. If you superglue it shut, you will avoid both issues and should still be able to fold the net down. The only downside, in that case, is that you would not be able to change the mesh in the future should a fish ever tear through the net. You will also need to weight the net down with some sinkers since the tube holds air and cause the net to float on the surface. The first time we needed to use that net was on a Southern Stingray with a 24" wingspan. Trying to net the ray with a floating hoop was rather interesting and stressful...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html