You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Proper Salmon Reviving Method - Pier Fishing
09-14-2014, 12:12 PM
Proper Salmon Reviving Method - Pier Fishing
I have observed salmon catch and release from piers but wondered what is the best method to ensure maximum survival.

At the west tributary pier, I have seen the salmon simply thrown back into the water - the salmon floats for a few minutes and most of the time, they seem to revive themselves and swim away. But I have seen salmon just float and struggle on its side - I assume that they would eventually die?

One time, I saw a fisher carry the salmon off the pier onto the rocks to the water and revive the salmon by hand. This method seems the most likely to be successful but the water is not quickly and easily accessible from all the different positions on the pier.

Please let me know what you do to C&R salmon while fishing from a pier - just in case I actually catch one this season. Thank you,
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2014, 01:15 PM
RE: Proper Salmon Reviving Method - Pier Fishing
What is crucial is to unhook the fish quickly, take a very quick picture and release.

Before you start fishing, already have pliers ready, and know exactly where your camera is and how to operate it.

Once you land a fish, have your friend unhook the fish while you get your camera turned on, set the right settings, and hand it to your friend with clear instruction on how to operate it (where is the zoom buttons and shutter button).

All of this should take less than 1 minute...even better if you can do it in less than 30 seconds.

Then simply get down to the water as far as you safely can. If you can get to the water's edge, cradle the fish in the water until it can kick away on its own. If you cannot get down to the water level, find a deep enough spot such that you can torpedo the fish head first into the water. Don't just drop it...point the head down and keep the tail pointed up...and "shoot" the fish into the water with a gentle push. This way, as the fish rush into the water, the gills can get a flush of oxygenated water to quickly recharge the fish. You have to remember to find a deep spot to do this. I've seen people drop fish back into the water only to have the fish hit a shallow rock.

So...back to the point about getting ready. Before you start fishing, you should have already identified a good spot to net the fish, and a good spot to release the fish.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Boatless (09-15-2014)
09-15-2014, 05:11 AM
MuskieBait - thank you! Great advice with respect to preparation and being ready. Torpedoing the salmon back into the water - makes sense to get the fish back into the water as soon as you can - I will follow your suggestion once I catch my first salmon Smile.

BTW - followed your suggestion regarding swivels on spoons this past weekend - spent time learning how the different spoons felt on retrieve with the different set ups. Thank you,
09-15-2014, 10:00 AM
Incidentally... I was fishing for moon eye last night and I caught a nice one... During the release I tried to send it down gently (I as 10 ft up) but it flapped it self into a position in which it pancaked when it hit the water.... but it did manage to frantically get to depth... about 5 minutes later I saw it belly up on the bottom. 5 minutes later I saw it being chased by a musky in a bitter dog fight for survival; It was doing well but the musky was not giving up.... I tried casting some lures to get the muskies attention but he was focused on his quarry and would not be distracted....I am not sure how the situation ended.
09-15-2014, 01:43 PM
Yeah, it certainly can be difficult releasing fish when you are fishing high off the water. If you fish from those situations often, I would suggest purchasing or making a pier net so you can lower the fish into the water instead of dropping them from great heights.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

09-16-2014, 09:48 AM
It's definitely tough from the pier. I remember fishfight posting that he likes to use his net to hold the fish while it revives. But a sideways fish is a sideways fish, regardless of whether its in a net or not.

I don't know if fish revive the same if they are lying sideways vs, being held straight up. Technically, they should be getting the same amount of oxygen either way, as long as their upward gill is submerged.

I've seen sideways fish right themselves and swim away, but not very often.

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-16-2014, 02:36 PM
Water will flow primarily in the path of least resistance.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-19-2014, 04:16 PM
Can you bring it to shallow water? Bring a bucket and let it go close by?
09-19-2014, 06:05 PM
A bucket? We're talking about 20lb+ salmon...not a 1lb bass. Tongue

You'll need a garbage can to hold a 20lb salmon. It isn't fun hopping down a jetty with a garbage half full of water plus a 20lb salmon inside.

Malama o ke kai

09-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Good excercise!