You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Proper Shoulder to Shoulder Spacing.
09-08-2014, 03:39 PM
Proper Shoulder to Shoulder Spacing.
Dig this:

I have been pondering this topic for some time now.

The utopian answer would be the sum of the maximum distance each angler can cast – this would remove any chance of tangling lines.

However this is not possible these days considering the ratio of anglers to accessible & fishable lengths of riverbanks or shorelines.

Therefore – the generally grudgingly accepted distance is usually less.

And ………..A lot less in the next month or two as the salmon “arrive”.

Add to this the parallel “rights” consideration argument - of who was where first, versus, who just showed up.

And…. To spice things up – let’s add in some flagrant fishing regulation violations, a touch of alcohol, other impairing substance, or acute sleep deprivation ……………. and top it off with dashes of serious anger management disorders.

Tahdah!........... the increasing reality of Salmon (or Steelhead) inland shore fishing in Southern Ontario.

This is why I’ve decided long ago that I’d rather be doing the “alone” fishing thing anywhere else - for anything else …….or a shared alternate species outing with my lady…….. Than to be shoulder to shoulder with even just one of the above described individuals during “spawning run seasons”.

Life is just way too short.

But hey........ opinions may vary.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-08-2014, 04:24 PM
RE: Proper Shoulder to Shoulder Spacing.
I love salmon season...because everyone is obsessed over the spawning run...and all of a sudden there is much more room to fish in locations where salmon does not run Wink

I can't stand the combat river fishing anymore...I'm blessed to be able to fish down by Richard's dock where it is 1) a private club, 2) almost no other club members fish from the dock, and 3) fish are boiling right in front of us when they are around, or 4) we can take Richard's dinghy into the channel to fish places where shore anglers can't even reach. Spoiled? Yes. I enjoy it while I have the privilege. Big Grin

Most river salmon are lined/flossed/snagged anyways...and I have no interested in doing that anymore.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-08-2014, 05:45 PM
OT I had a good chuckle at your post. It really IS the basis for a Canadian reality TV show... and I hope somebody actually produces it!!!

I'm privileged too... being able to float my kayak out past everyone's casting range. However, I am not immune to shenanigans. On the way back to shore a few days ago, somebody on the pier saw me coming, burned in their J-13, and laughed as they tried to hit me with it. Fantastic. Landed 5 feet from me.

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-08-2014, 05:48 PM
(09-08-2014 05:45 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  OT I had a good chuckle at your post. It really IS the basis for a Canadian reality TV show... and I hope somebody actually produces it!!!

I'm privileged too... being able to float my kayak out past everyone's casting range. However, I am not immune to shenanigans. On the way back to shore a few days ago, somebody on the pier saw me coming, burned in their J-13, and laughed as they tried to hit me with it. Fantastic. Landed 5 feet from me.

Next time, catch the J-13 with your paddle, cut it off their line, and laugh right back. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

09-09-2014, 06:26 PM
Not everyone who does salmon fishing in the river does harvesting. I'm not going to this year as I have other avenues to get roe, but I will still get out and enjoy with the other loogans. Also, pretty sure shooting fish in a barrel is extremely hard depending on the size of fish and the depth of the barrel. The water reflects or bends light differently and what would seem like a straight shot might not actually hit the target your intending. I think they made a myth busters episode about it too. Shooting firearms on target is much harder than most people think.
Find all posts by this user
09-10-2014, 09:39 PM
(09-09-2014 06:26 PM)Toasty Wrote:  Not everyone who does salmon fishing in the river does harvesting. I'm not going to this year as I have other avenues to get roe, but I will still get out and enjoy with the other loogans. Also, pretty sure shooting fish in a barrel is extremely hard depending on the size of fish and the depth of the barrel. The water reflects or bends light differently and what would seem like a straight shot might not actually hit the target your intending. I think they made a myth busters episode about it too. Shooting firearms on target is much harder than most people think.

I don't think any of that was implied in any way.

My commentary was only on the fact that the salmon spawning streams gets way too busy, way too chaotic and there is way too much drama for me to appreciate that type of fishing anymore.

Whether you agree or not, it does reduces anglers on other fishing locations during this period. As someone who appreciates fishing for all species, I enjoy this time when other fisheries are less busy.

Malama o ke kai

09-10-2014, 10:49 PM
(09-10-2014 09:39 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  I don't think any of that was implied in any way.

My commentary was only on the fact that the salmon spawning streams gets way too busy, way too chaotic and there is way too much drama for me to appreciate that type of fishing anymore.

Whether you agree or not, it does reduces anglers on other fishing locations during this period. As someone who appreciates fishing for all species, I enjoy this time when other fisheries are less busy.

Oh my bad, my reply was referring to another post on this thread that seems to not exist anymore lol Cool
09-11-2014, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2014 03:06 PM by OldTimer.)
I'm with MB - I enjoy salmon season only due to greatly reduced pressure on "non salmon" water.

BTW - "Loogan": English slang - combination of the recognized words "Loser" & "Hooligan"

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
09-11-2014, 10:21 PM
(09-08-2014 05:45 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  OT I had a good chuckle at your post. It really IS the basis for a Canadian reality TV show... and I hope somebody actually produces it!!!

Are you serious?! I just read this and it made me angry.
I would have taken a careful note of what he looked like then walked up that pier and sent him and his gear for a swim.