You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Ranking of major fishing gear suppliers in Southern Ontario
02-06-2013, 12:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-06-2013 12:08 PM by onwind.)
RE: Ranking of major fishing gear suppliers in Southern Ontario
why all of you said Lebaron's price is better than others? Are you members of Lebaron?
Let's take an example of HumminBird ICE 35 flasher,
in Basspro, the price is 299.99 http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores...erm=ice-35
in Sail, the price is also 299.99 http://www.sail.ca/en/catalogue/ice-fish...ectronics/
but in Lebaron, the special price is 302.94 http://www.lebaron.ca/pdf_files_fall12/l...inbird.pdf
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2013, 12:26 PM
I'm not a member of LeBaron (their membership is pretty ridiculous if you are just an occasional shopper and if you do not purchase big ticket items from them). The price IS lower on a good number of items at LeB's, whether it is regular price or sale price. It is what it is.

You mentioned that you don't always find what you need from them. I do find that not all their stores will stock the same items even if it is listed on their online catalog. It's best to call the store ahead and check before visiting the store. Like I said, a lot of their on sale items can sell out quickly (because the price is very good sometimes)...so you have to act quick. Otherwise, I find that they usually have lures and terminal tackle well stocked...and the rod and reel selection is also maintained at a very good level.

I'm a member of BassPro and the prices is a bit higher there. Maybe that's why they can always maintain to keep their items well stocked (stocking fee, inventory cost...that's part of the mark up).

I only find an issue with BassPro at the end of the season when they are preparing for the next fishing season (ie, icefishing gear out of stock by March). I still have issue with their pricing since our dollar is at par with the US dollar. At one point, the briefly match the Canadian and US prices...but reverted quickly back to Canadian pricing. I have beef with that. The store in Vaughn is really just a 3 hours away from the store in Detroit...not that much difference and we should not see a 15-20% mark up on items sold in the Vaughn store. It's ridiculous. Even so, they do have more items that I need...things like 6oz bank and pyramid sinkers, 40lb Big Game mono, 65lb Sufix braid, Gamakatsu circle hooks of various sizes, their BassPro brand VMC baitholder hooks (possibly my favourite hooks to use)...it's worth paying a little more to get what I need. I'm very particular with my gear choice and there is often very little alternative or substitute I'll accept.

Just don't do online order for fishing rods from BassPro. I find their packing method for rods is asinine. I've received damaged rods twice from BassPro online order and refuse to buy rods online from them anymore. Luckily, their customer service is superb and both times I got a refund and got to keep the damaged rod without shipping it back in one case (the shipping cost would be more expensive than my refund...)

I just tell it like it is. I swear no allegiance to any store. There is no bias at all.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-06-2013, 01:17 PM
No single retailer will have the lowest price on every single item. The kicker for me is who has the best general prices most of the time for things I am looking for.

I bought an Ugly Stik from LeBaron last week for 38.50; Basspro stocks it online for $39.50; I saw it at CT this morning for $68.00; If SAIL does not have it inventory they do not do not have a deliver to store option for items less than $500.00 (They consider this a special order).

Lures and terminal tackle are about 10-20% cheaper at LeBaron when compared to CT; Almost the same at SAIL and Basspro (online) +/- 5% (vis a vis LeBaron)

I was looking for some flash last week to make Gar lures and it was about 20% cheaper at sail when compared to LeBaron ($3.50 vs $4.50)

I also factor travel time into my purchase. If I needed an xrap today I would pay the extra $3.00 and get on my way home at CT. If I wanted to fill in my inventory with a number of specific lures I would be looking for a broader selection I may go to SAIL. If Basspro was offering free shipping I would go with them (I have "My gear List" upto date with items I want so when they have free shipping I put my order in just minutes). If I was looking for end of season Rapalas on special to stock up for the new year I would go to LeBaron.
02-06-2013, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2013 08:01 AM by OldTimer.)
Quite a rainbow of opinion in most areas. I shall not try to para-phrase this .......... at all.

I would offer though that (IMO) expertise and attitude vary dramatically from place to place, and time to time - as far as the larger chains go.

Also - I always factor in the cost of fuel, the level of necessity, and time spent ..........in my selection of a vendor and delivery mode.

On the big stuff - I prefer seeing, touching and examining the exact item I will buy and take home with me - as flaws and incidental damage do happen.

And also as Jeremy suggests - I do try (a lot) to support my immediate local bait shop when possible - for bait and incidentals. Sadly they do not have the buying power to offer better pricing and selection on the big items in spite of thier reduced overheads.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
02-06-2013, 08:09 PM
Another place we have not discussed is Walmart.... Tend to have some equipment but not a very broad selection, the equipment tends to basic but prices tend to be OK if you happen to be there.
02-07-2013, 05:13 PM
(02-06-2013 08:09 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Another place we have not discussed is Walmart.... Tend to have some equipment but not a very broad selection, the equipment tends to basic but prices tend to be OK if you happen to be there.

I try not to support Walmart whenever possible.

See you on the river.
02-07-2013, 07:39 PM
(02-07-2013 05:13 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(02-06-2013 08:09 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Another place we have not discussed is Walmart.... Tend to have some equipment but not a very broad selection, the equipment tends to basic but prices tend to be OK if you happen to be there.

I try not to support Walmart whenever possible.

Same, they are my store of last resort; I usually make minor purchases there, about once a month, for things I can not get at the other stores in the neighborhood.
02-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Anyone besides me wonder why BassPro doesnt support any of the fishing shows by having a booth...............

Odd?

See you on the river.
02-16-2013, 06:12 PM
When talking about lures. Lebaron and bass pro can go head to head and nobody will be better than the other. Expertise guys at lebaron know their thing. Bass pro usually too busy to chat. Walmart and ct. Almost double the price of lures. Vibrax1 for $5.99 is a little too rich for my blood.
02-16-2013, 07:29 PM
(02-16-2013 05:11 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Anyone besides me wonder why BassPro doesnt support any of the fishing shows by having a booth...............

Odd?

I thought I was the only one who thought that.

I expected a really nice booth from them at the TSS and I was surprised when they weren't even there.