You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Robinson Creek Restoration.
04-20-2013, 03:39 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2013 03:49 PM by Jeremy Ray Green.)
RE: Robinson Creek Restoration.
Guys,

There is a ground water run off, to the robinson creek.
where all those houses are, used to be farm fields, The houses are not better than a forest, but I beleive once matured, better than the farm fields.
the city of markham has a pesticide ban, for commercial use, but the farmers still can use pesticides. Far fetched but once all the trees mature in the aeaa, houses may be better for the creek, im happy they kept a nice riparian zone, where in other situation markham turned them into culverts and paved over or as close to the rivers as possible, Take ramerville creek for example..

But to be honest, everything north of 16th that makes robinson creek historically is artesian wells and ground water.

robinson creek west of mcowan in historical levels should be almost no flow in mid august.

what really killed robinson creek was wen the sewer system went in along 16th avenue way back in the early 2000's they pumped out all the ground water so they could drill the tunnel, and they killed a few artesian wells in the area.

There is one at springdale park, where the town actually spent money, creating a rockery river bed for it. it has been dry since the de-watering..

BTW...

stocking run tomorrow, meet us at princess street - below the milne dam in the am for about 9:00 - 9:30-
then at the fish ladder at the bottom of milne lane for 10:30 after the stocking, I will have the Park Gate open you can drive through...

I processed 51 suckers, and there were over 30 rainbows in the cage today, We held back about 20 rainbows, and processed only 16 today, for our planned public day at the fishway tomorrow we hope to have atleast 40 rainbows, there should be about50 or more suckers there too .
all are welcome to come and help.

If you want to help load the fish into the trailer, you can meet us at the hatchery at 8:30 am.

~Jeremy

Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2013, 08:11 PM
(04-20-2013 03:39 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  There is one at springdale park, where the town actually spent money, creating a rockery river bed for it. it has been dry since the de-watering..

I live near this park and I grew up by that well you mention. It started flowing again a few years ago, but not sure why/how. I remember reading the plaque near it when I was a kid... and the rocky riverbed being put in to direct the flow into robinson creek.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-23-2013, 08:22 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2013 08:23 PM by Giuga10.)
(04-23-2013 08:11 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(04-20-2013 03:39 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  There is one at springdale park, where the town actually spent money, creating a rockery river bed for it. it has been dry since the de-watering..

I live near this park and I grew up by that well you mention. It started flowing again a few years ago, but not sure why/how. I remember reading the plaque near it when I was a kid... and the rocky riverbed being put in to direct the flow into robinson creek.

I live and lived right by there too, if I'm thinking the same plaque as you, was it the one that went along the lines of drink this water and you will live forever Smile, I used to bike there all the time at my old house and at 6-8 years old every time I biked past it I was always tempted to drink it Big Grin I was a naive little kid lol Tongue
04-24-2013, 02:32 PM
yes that well was considered by the early markhamites,
When markham was called Ressorville.

the "Water of life".

~Jeremy.

04-24-2013, 03:10 PM
...........apparently they were mistaken.

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-24-2013, 03:33 PM (This post was last modified: 04-24-2013 03:38 PM by onwind.)
Is the plaque still there?
(04-23-2013 08:22 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(04-23-2013 08:11 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  

I live and lived right by there too, if I'm thinking the same plaque as you, was it the one that went along the lines of drink this water and you will live forever Smile, I used to bike there all the time at my old house and at 6-8 years old every time I biked past it I was always tempted to drink it Big Grin I was a naive little kid lol Tongue

Which language is Ressorville from?

(04-24-2013 02:32 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  yes that well was considered by the early markhamites,
When markham was called Ressorville.

the "Water of life".

~Jeremy.
04-24-2013, 06:00 PM
(04-24-2013 03:33 PM)onwind Wrote:  Is the plaque still there?

I believe the plaque is still there. I would be pretty sad if they removed it though.

Ressorville is English, Irish, Scottish, or German. Because it's first settlers were Germans, but after that its main inhabitants were English, Scottish, and Irish. I'm gonna rule out German, and English though as it doesn't sound like a name that would come from either and say it's most likely Scottish.
04-24-2013, 07:54 PM
cool, I would like to visit this plague and take a picture.

(04-24-2013 06:00 PM)Giuga10 Wrote:  
(04-24-2013 03:33 PM)onwind Wrote:  Is the plaque still there?

I believe the plaque is still there. I would be pretty sad if they removed it though.

Ressorville is English, Irish, Scottish, or German. Because it's first settlers were Germans, but after that its main inhabitants were English, Scottish, and Irish. I'm gonna rule out German, and English though as it doesn't sound like a name that would come from either and say it's most likely Scottish.
04-24-2013, 11:40 PM
(04-24-2013 07:54 PM)onwind Wrote:  cool, I would like to visit this plague and take a picture.

Next time your in the area let me know and I'll show you where it is.