You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Round Goby getting worse
09-11-2012, 07:03 AM
Round Goby getting worse
Yesterday being such a great day weather-wise, my lovely lady and I took a tour about.

One of our stops was at a bridge passing over Bronte Creek – just a short distance downstream from Lowville.

Water was very low, and gin clear.

Hundreds of round goby could be seen in the slower sections. Like wow thick. It wasn’t like this last year, or this spring, at all.

Hopefully the MNR will initiate its selective poisoning program on this species in the creeks soon…….. Otherwise all the hard work that Trout Unlimited, and its volunteers, has done to rehabilitate the spawning grounds on this tributary will be in vain, since the goby will eat most of the eggs.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2012, 04:19 PM
RE: Round Goby getting worse
Goby's getting worse....a definite no no.
Even when they were first introduced, perch season was there prime time, all of the Goby's would feed on whatever they saw even if it was bigger than them. It was horrible.

It would be great for the MNR to take action and get rid if these things, but that's one hell of a job.

Giuga10
09-11-2012, 09:25 PM
And how do you suppose the MNR to clear the whole of Great Lakes of Round Goby? It is not possible (not yet)...unless someone research on an agent that only targets Round Goby. It is hard enough to find a cure for diabetes and target the islet cells that are causing the disease, never mind targeting a complex organism like a Round Goby.

They are here to stay unfortunately...just have to live with it...

They do make great prey items for walleye and smallmouth bass...the Erie fishery and soon the Simcoe fishery...are good example how the smallmouth bass fishing improves after Round Goby established in the system.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
09-12-2012, 12:54 AM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2012 12:55 AM by MichaelAngelo.)
Selective goby destruction program: stock more things that eat them Tongue. Just kidding of course, more bass would just eat away Ontario's endangered minnows.

[Image: logobgs.png]
09-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Seems they have the means to do it:

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Bio...68687.html

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.