You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Sat may 3rd
04-20-2014, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 04-20-2014 04:31 PM by MikeH.)
Sat may 3rd
I have never seen the numbers of Pike along the waterfront that I saw today.
They are everywhere and it's less than two weeks to the Pike opener on May 3rd.
I think this one is going to be the best we have had for a while. CoolBig Grin

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-20-2014, 08:37 PM
RE: Sat may 3rd
They had a very late spawn this year, along with all other spring spawning species.
So yeah, they'll be shallow a little longer than normal unless we get a heatwave.
Find all posts by this user
04-23-2014, 10:54 AM
As a newbie to fishing I've been kind of impressed with the strength of the pike population on Toronto's waterfront. Maybe it's less surprising to those who understand the species better than me, but just on a very basic ecological level it seems noteworthy that a top predator would be so abundant in an area of such intense human impact. Then again it's not like we have commercial fishing pressure anywhere near Toronto, and recreational fishing activity within the city (not including Frenchman's Bay) seems well below what it "should" be given the number of fish and humans around. Anyway I just hope I'm interpreting these pike numbers correctly as a stable population, and not part of some short-term unsustainable spike. The one I came by this winter was delicious.
04-23-2014, 11:21 AM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 09:42 PM by MuskieBait.)
There is quite considerable pressure along the waterfront. People get out fishing more than you think...just wait until pike opener and you'll see more people. I usually see a few guys each time I'm out. Now, a few guys may not seem a lot of pressure, but at the same time, the number of pike along the waterfront is not that high either. Foot work will help you find roving fish...but prime habitat may only hold a few resident fish...so once the few residents are removed, it will take time for replacements to arrive. If people keep removing the replacement, then we have an uphill battle for a stable fishery.

Also realize that pike will move in shallow in the spring and fall where they are more reachable by shore anglers...but come summer they will move deeper in the harbour. There is some daily movement just like on any piece of water...but that timing may be small depending on boat traffic and water temps.

People do fish the harbour for pike in the summer...so the fish that shows up in the spring and fall is the same population of fish being targeted by boat anglers in the summer in deeper water. The overall population number could be a bit overestimated.

Saying that, yes, the pike population is doing relatively well for an urban fishery...mindful that we are talking a huge body of water called Lake Ontario and not a small urban lake. It has a bit better capacity to recover. But the territorial nature of pike with established spawning and feeding areas throughout the season means they are also prone to overfishing.

As with any fishery that is dear to your heart...catch your limit but limit your catch...C&R with small amount of selective harvest is critical to maintain a stable and sustainable fishery.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
04-23-2014, 12:52 PM
I don't understand how people eat pike. They do not taste good to me at all. I've had them from local waters, I've had them from remote northern (like REALLY northern) waters and they're just bland tasting.
04-23-2014, 01:27 PM
(04-23-2014 12:52 PM)Eli Wrote:  I don't understand how people eat pike. They do not taste good to me at all. I've had them from local waters, I've had them from remote northern (like REALLY northern) waters and they're just bland tasting.
Hm, well I've only eaten the one and I liked it... but I suppose you could say all white-fleshed fish are bland tasting, that's why people are so into their seasonings. The two dishes I made from this one were tacos and curry, so blandness wasn't an issue. I found the chunks of pike held together nice and firm in the curry, with almost a chicken-like consistency, and complemented the spicy sauce very nicely.

I wouldn't want to eat the skin though... it seems gross.
04-23-2014, 02:59 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2014 04:08 PM by OldTimer.)
(04-23-2014 12:52 PM)Eli Wrote:  I don't understand how people eat pike. They do not taste good to me at all. I've had them from local waters, I've had them from remote northern (like REALLY northern) waters and they're just bland tasting.

I don't understand how people eat mutton or lamb. Each to his own.

But more seriously - I've eaten pike from many different locales and I can't say I had any that were "bad". But all fish vary by locale, time of year, and their recent major diet items. Open water Georgian Bay pike (Bustards/French River area) lead my list of the best pike to eat. Size makes a difference too........... the mid size (3~5 pounds) ones are best in my experience. Large fish are too coarse and may not cook uniformly.

Yes pike (and muskie) are not as flavourful as other species - but properly de-boned and lightly flour dusted then HOT oil deep fried, I like'em.......... a slightly chilled Pinot Grigio goes quite well.

I would note that I've had the odd mid-summer pan fried bass or trout that were not what I call good at all with strong river, or musty, or insect taste/smell. In fact a few I could not finish as it was unpalatable to me, and I've got a extremely strong stomach.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-23-2014, 07:31 PM
Summer bass and trout...yuck!

To me, pike is very similar to walleye actually. Both are pretty bland in flavour...but the meat is sweet. Gotta use seasoning for those fish.

I love mutton and lamb...would pick it over pike and walleye any day (and most fish for that matter...with the exception of Turbot, Patagonian Toothfish or any fresh sashimi especially maguro and saba).

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

04-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Stop eatin' mah @#'kin Pike! Tongue

http://www.fishingtoronto.com
04-23-2014, 10:07 PM
^ LMAO! Big Grin

Malama o ke kai