You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Shore Fishing in Toronto
07-25-2014, 08:37 PM
Shore Fishing in Toronto
Hey guys,

Any advice on shore fishing in Toronto? I'm planning on going this weekend.
GPS coordinates would be great, if you have these handy.

Much appreciated!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
07-25-2014, 08:51 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 09:08 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Shore Fishing in Toronto
Dig through older reports and you can find mentions of shore fishing locations in Toronto. If you are lucky, you may even see pictures or videos of where people have fished.

But if you really want one, you can try here (43.633559, -79.372702).

I was out canoeing yesterday with my co-workers and I spotted pike, bass, carp, freshwater drum and lots of panfish. Where are these fish exactly? I don't know...they move around. It's not like they sit in one place all day, every day, waiting for people to catch them. Are the fish reachable from shore? Absolutely. I spotted all of the in the shallows...although...it may depend if you can make a 100 yard casts or not at times.

My advice, look on a map, find locations and just go fishing. You'll discover more on your own.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-25-2014, 09:06 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 09:11 PM by myth7676.)
(07-25-2014 08:51 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  Dig through older reports and you can find mentions of shore fishing locations in Toronto. If you are lucky, you may even see pictures or videos of where people have fished.

But if you really want one, you can try here (43.633559, -79.372702)

Appreciate the coordinates - especially when I stated "shore fishing".

I'm new to Toronto fishing and I found this forum where I thought I could find some honest advice, not steal people's spots ... Turns not, not so much ...

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to answer my post.

(07-25-2014 08:51 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  it may depend if you can make a 100 yard casts or not at times.

I was planning to use live bait. Is it better to use spinners, spoons, etc?

Thanks
07-25-2014, 09:15 PM (This post was last modified: 07-25-2014 09:18 PM by MuskieBait.)
Sorry, you're here asking for people to grant you some spot to try...you're not "stealing" spots...but asking for freebies just the same.

It's your first post...no introduction, no contribution, but just palms out asking for hand outs. That's basically "stealing".

Is there fish in the Inner Harbour? Plenty. Is there shore access in the Inner Harbour? Plenty. Have I caught fish in the Inner Harbour? Plenty. Do fish sit in the same spot every day waiting to be caught? I wish.

I can tell you to go to XYZ...but these fish move around. They may be there one day, no...one minute...and gone the next. I was watching a pike come into the shallows yesterday along the Harbourfront area...came in from the lake, cruised around, then cruised back out into the lake. They don't sit in one spot all the time. Bass do the same, carp do the same. I stay mobile when I fish the Inner Harbour...and I may fish anywhere from the ferry terminal all the way past Ontario Place looking for fish. They are mobile and you have to stay mobile to find them and catch them. It's as simple as that.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

07-26-2014, 06:51 AM
http://ontarioshorefishing.com/forum/Thr...ortunities

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
myth7676 (07-26-2014)
07-26-2014, 08:37 AM
I just downloaded an app called "fishbrian" on my samsung phone, was a free app advertisement on my facebook page, (ad was probably directed as i was searching for fishing spots in toronto) the app lists all fishing spots (and im guessing worldwide) but since im located in Scarborough list alot of water holes in ontario - check it out.
07-26-2014, 08:42 AM (This post was last modified: 07-26-2014 09:06 AM by MuskieBait.)
(07-25-2014 09:06 PM)myth7676 Wrote:  
(07-25-2014 08:51 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  it may depend if you can make a 100 yard casts or not at times.

I was planning to use live bait. Is it better to use spinners, spoons, etc?

Thanks

Like the document that OT provided (for free and worth every cent!), think about what you are after. Do spinners and spoons work? Yeah, they will catch pike, maybe a wandering trout (or even salmon depending on time of year), but much less likely to catch carp or bullhead...and if the lures you are using are too big, you will not catch any panfish either. If you use worms, you'll catch more panfish, bullhead, carp, bass (big and small) and whatever else may come your way. If you use larger minnows, you may catch larger bass, pike, maybe even a walleye or trout.

It all depends on what time of year you are fishing, and what kind of fish you are after.

I only mentioned that in some areas you may need a 100 yd cast because that's where I saw fish when I was canoeing. Fish can move from deep to shallow and back to deep depending on time of day (amount of light, or especially for the harbourfront area...boat traffic). Even when we were canoeing in the canals through the Toronto Islands, fish were associated with the outside weed edge that was in the middle of the boating channel. They were not shallow at all during the day. The shallows are too weed choked to fish effectively in a lot of places. If you can't cast far enough, or fish weedless enough, you won't be reaching the fish at all (or...you have to wait until fish moves shallow to intercept them...but when they move shallow to hunt, they are usually on the move...hence, there isn't a single place I can tell you to cast there, do this, can you'll catch fish...because fish are on the move).

If you really, really have no clue where to start, then I would suggest you do some google search to find out first how to catch carp, bass, pike, trout and panfish (in general)...because these are the more common species around Toronto. In general, fishing technique varies little...but seasonal movement and habitat preference could dictate what to use and where to fish. Some areas can be very weed choked now to fish any sort of lures during the day, with the only option (from shore) that can remain weedless being surface lures, texas-rigged plastics or spinnerbaits (even so, some places are too choked for spinners). If you use poppers during the day on a busy boating weekend, you will not be very successful. I say this just to illustrate that there is no one single answer. It all depends.

Malama o ke kai

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
myth7676 (07-26-2014)
07-26-2014, 08:48 AM
OK. Thanks guys. I'll try and go out this weekend. Will let you know how that went.
08-20-2014, 12:53 PM
Ontario Place. Also Humber River mouth should have Salmon staging soon...
11-24-2014, 11:55 PM
Try this document, very famous:
http://tommythompsonpark.ca/global/pdfs/...ities.pdf.

At this time of year your best bet are the rivers like credit, humber etc... for steelhead...if you can stand the cold. parks run along the whole river so pick a spot and fish it.