You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Skunk thread (aka the walk of shame)
05-25-2015, 08:13 PM
RE: Skunk thread (aka the walk of shame)
(05-25-2015 07:37 PM)Eli Wrote:  When it comes to certain species, I not only get skunked...I get possumed!!

I get raccooned by River Redhorse...over, and over, and over again...

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-26-2015, 02:35 PM
(05-25-2015 08:13 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(05-25-2015 07:37 PM)Eli Wrote:  When it comes to certain species, I not only get skunked...I get possumed!!

I get raccooned by River Redhorse...over, and over, and over again...

Ouch!

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
05-27-2015, 12:09 PM
Man, if I posted about every time I got skunked, I'd clog up the forum. But since this thread is live now I'll talk about yesterday.

On Saturday I happened to be biking by my summer perch spot here on the local waterfront and I noticed the water was full of alewives, and there were three pike lounging on the bottom. So yesterday after work I decided to go over there and see if I could get the pike to bite, or in the alternate, if the summer perch had arrived. As I was biking along the lake on the way there, passing a spot I don't normally fish, I spotted a trout just hanging out at the surface, pretty unusual sighting for over there. So I set up my gear as quickly as I could with the trout gradually drifting farther away. My first cast was off and landed well behind the trout, and by the time I cast again it was out of sight... I threw my spinner and worm in its general direction but to no avail.

Got to the spot I meant to in the first place, and the alewives were gone. (They were still present in other places including where I saw the trout.) No visible pike either, and no perch coming to my bait. Fished a couple of other spots as well and didn't feel a bite. Talked to a couple of other anglers at some of the spots who weren't having luck either. Tough time of year to pattern these communities, maybe.
Find all posts by this user
05-27-2015, 01:10 PM
You get an "A" for effort!
05-30-2015, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 07:53 PM by Eli.)
So I pre-baited a spot for carp for two days this week. Fished it today. The wind was blowing right into my face from the south-west. We were fishing on an incoming front. Basically, everything we did was correct and it should have been a banner day.
I got skunked. My buddy got one, but I got skunked.

Just goes to show that sometimes you can do everything by the book correctly, and still get possumed. It sucks...and unfortunately not much can be learned from it.
05-30-2015, 10:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-30-2015 10:25 PM by shapirus.)
Went for my first time fishing on Toronto islands on Victoria Day with some pike-oriented gear to explore the waters and maybe catch something if I'm lucky. Caught a small pike, and a bigger one (not sure it was even a pike) managed to get off the hook before I could see it. Wow, thought I, there are fish in these waters waiting to be caught, I'll come again.

Came again twice since then, made casts from pretty much every inch of the available shore line all the way from west to east and had zero bites. Saw no sign of any fish except some huge carps lazily cruising just below the surface.

No doubt I will go there again. I know those pikes are waiting for me.
08-11-2015, 12:01 AM
Had a day off to fish today and I was real eager to try out new catfish spot in the thousand islands.

I started off at a near by hole to kill a couple of hours. It was way hot and this spot had never produced in the heat. Other than an incidental bullhead I was skunked there seemed to be carp bubbling e Rey where but the wanted nothing to do with my worms. Nice being out but next time pick a spot better suited to the weather.

Ignored bad weather reports and headed out to the 1000 island spot but bad weather had, the fish spooked, the current fast and me all wet
08-11-2015, 12:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2015 12:58 PM by MuskieBait.)
(08-11-2015 12:01 AM)zippyFX Wrote:  Had a day off to fish today and I was real eager to try out new catfish spot in the thousand islands.

I started off at a near by hole to kill a couple of hours. It was way hot and this spot had never produced in the heat. Other than an incidental bullhead I was skunked there seemed to be carp bubbling e Rey where but the wanted nothing to do with my worms. Nice being out but next time pick a spot better suited to the weather.

Ignored bad weather reports and headed out to the 1000 island spot but bad weather had, the fish spooked, the current fast and me all wet

Yeah, but now you have a carp spot that you can take advantage on a hot day. Wink

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
08-13-2015, 04:41 PM
since i"ve come back to fishing after a twenty year absence, I firmly belong in this thread Smile

0-3 so far haha
08-14-2015, 01:04 PM
Chalk up one for me..........didn't fish all that long, then lightning, thunder and heavy rain chased me right off the river..................grrrr

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.