You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Skunking away in the Durham Region. :)
06-01-2017, 09:46 PM (This post was last modified: 06-01-2017 09:47 PM by Dusty_D.)
Skunking away in the Durham Region. :)
Hey folks, got bit by the fishing bug late in the season last year after catching a decent sized Bass, and a couple more smaller ones. I've spent the last few months of this year just gearing up and hitting a bunch of spots (ponds, tribs, lakes etc) using Google maps in the Durham region. Nothing landed so far this year, but I'm optimistic with the season for Walleye, Bass etc opening up.. It's been tough for shore fishing with the water so high everywhere.

I'm planning on heading up to Peterborough to test out the Otonabee around Lock 19 and Little Lake. Not sure what I'll find, but I'm always having fun just playing around. Smile

Let me know if anyone in the Pickering area is looking to hook up and head out for a bit of shore fishing. I'm available most days after dropping my daughter to school, and in the evenings!

Tight lines folks!!
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
06-01-2017, 11:01 PM
RE: Skunking away in the Durham Region. :)
Good luck! Lots of good sized Carp in Peterborough as well.
06-02-2017, 03:58 PM
(06-01-2017 11:01 PM)zippyFX Wrote:  Good luck! Lots of good sized Carp in Peterborough as well.

Back! Skunked again!! I really need to take a long hard look at my tackle box. Fished around Lock 22 and Lock 19 but didn't really get to do much in between those two. The river was running high and fast. Lost a couple of jig heads to the rocks, and had a bunch of little guys nibbling on my 4" grubs, but not a single fish landed. Sad The main issue I found was that most of my soft plastics were floating due to the fast running water, instead of settling down through the water coloumn. I wasn't really getting down to the fish.

The little old lady next to me at Lock 19 though, tiny fish after tiny fish on a small split shot weighted live bait hook and live worms. Tongue

Yes, I did see a lot of carp activity at the locks, but not really allowed to cast in there.

I'll definitely head back there someday and fish the banks where possible along Water street.
06-07-2017, 05:58 PM
Im curious how you guys like to prepare your carp? I always it heard it makes terrible table fare
06-07-2017, 07:09 PM
(06-07-2017 05:58 PM)Mdt Wrote:  Im curious how you guys like to prepare your carp? I always it heard it makes terrible table fare

I don't think I've ever eaten carp, and don't intend to.. Smile
06-08-2017, 12:09 PM
(06-07-2017 05:58 PM)Mdt Wrote:  Im curious how you guys like to prepare your carp? I always it heard it makes terrible table fare

The table quality of any fish is very much dependent on the quality of the water it lived in.

And - smaller specimens of freshwater fish make better meals.

I've eaten carp baked, pan fried and deep fried.

The deep fried floured fillet strips were best (fish were taken from the crystal clear waters of the Bustard Island area of Georgian Bay) and actually quite good.

A large fish taken from Bronte pier was not so great when baked.

Pan fried tended to fall apart easily.

Kill them quick, ice them, fillet them, skin them, remove lateral line darker meat............. and give it a go..........

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
Dusty_D (06-08-2017)