You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Sonar phone free app + wireless transducer?
03-14-2014, 08:37 PM
Sonar phone free app + wireless transducer?
For those techy guy. I pondered on these items. Will this combo works on a phone or tablet?
Sonar phone app for free
https://play.google.com/store/apps/detai...fishfinder

A $20 wireless transducer

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/ffw718-Op...65492.html
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-14-2014, 09:24 PM
RE: Sonar phone free app + wireless transducer?
The biggest problem I can foresee is battery life. I have my unit running for hours. My phone can barely even last that long in the cold when it's in my pocket for warmth. Would be inexpensive to try out though.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2014, 01:21 PM (This post was last modified: 03-15-2014 01:24 PM by fishfight.)
The best inexpensive wireless fish finder is this model http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FFW-718-P...75521.html ....Cost $79, since I already own 4 fish finder, I am holding off in purchasing a wireless model as of yet.

I sent them an enquiry to find out what exactly is the wireless tech on their transducer.

Wireless can be useful for travelling purposes. wired portable ones cost around $40 from china,

I am always curious how deep, whirlpool, port D, POrt Hope were, after fishing it for so many years.
03-15-2014, 01:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 01:00 AM by MuskieBait.)
(03-15-2014 01:21 PM)fishfight Wrote:  The best inexpensive wireless fish finder is this model http://www.aliexpress.com/item/FFW-718-P...75521.html ....Cost $79, since I already own 4 fish finder, I am holding off in purchasing a wireless model as of yet.

I sent them an enquiry to find out what exactly is the wireless tech on their transducer.

Wireless can be useful for travelling purposes. wired portable ones cost around $40 from china,

I am always curious how deep, whirlpool, port D, POrt Hope were, after fishing it for so many years.

You can find out depths with good ole low tech charts.

Navionics has an app for charts...$15...for smart phones.

Personally, like Michael said, I would not use the phone as my sonar unit. Phones are for emergency contact. If you run the battery down on the phone, and something happens where you need to call for help, it is not a very smart move. In fact, on longer trips, I'll switch off my phone when it is not in use to save the battery for those times that I need it. When you are in areas where reception is poor and the phone is always searching for a signal (and I hate how phones always search for a wifi signal now...wasting battery!), it will drain your battery very quickly. I won't want to add another source of power loss (ie...using your phone as a fish finder) as if it isn't bad enough already.

I say the same about sonar/GPS units. If one function goes, the other can go as well...here's a story...

Friend and I were traveling from Hawaii Kai, Oahu to Penguin Bank about 30 miles south of Oahu. His GPS unit was coupled with the sonar unit. For some reason, his sonar function had an issue and he couldn't detect bottom. Because of his sonar issue, his GPS function on the unit was also affected and we had zero plotting or navigation ability on the unit. What saved the day? A knowledge of the heading and following the compass (good old hundred year old technology!) and a second handheld GPS to get us on the spot once we're close enough.

Another time, the same friend and I were in a situation where the boat lost steering. His sonar/GPS unit was giving us readings, but we didn't know our boat was slowly taking on water (a metal part of the steering broke, fell into sea, and now left a quarter size hole in the boat). If the electrical was to get wet and fried, we would have been SOL without a GPS unit to give the coast guard our position...and luckily I brought my handheld GPS just for such occasion when you need a backup.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
03-15-2014, 02:43 PM (This post was last modified: 03-16-2014 06:40 AM by OldTimer.)
Paper charts are available too.

Gee.......... I'm still mystified by my digital TV clicker........I ignore the PVR (she takes care of it)......don't own (or want) a personal cell..........life is grand............LOW TECH RULES... smile...........

It's amazing that we as a species made it this far without the current electronics that are less than 25 years old.... grin.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
03-16-2014, 04:55 AM
as of this week....lakes/river systems in canada on navionics website are now posted online on their site....free....that will help you figure out depth...