You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Southbend - wow!
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Southbend - wow!
Poking around the mangroves in the Keys, I came across a spinning reel on the ground. The handle had snapped in half, but upon inspection the rest of the reel seemed to be working fine.

I brought it home and tested it - seemed to be in decent shape for a reel I found just lying on the ground.

So I checked the Southbend website in hopes of finding a parts number that I could order. No schematics listed, I opted to call them and ask if it was possible to order parts.

The man on the phone asked for my address and said he'd send me a new handle... pretty sweet!

I guess I should not hesitate to phone manufacturers in the future when I am missing a part... I've heard that they will replace some parts free of charge, but this is the first time I've enjoyed that service.

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-16-2013, 03:47 PM
RE: Southbend - wow!
I got the same service from shimano...although It was my own reel. I don't know the quality of their (southbend) product though.
Find all posts by this user
01-16-2013, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 03:50 PM by MichaelAngelo.)
(01-16-2013 03:47 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  I got the same service from shimano...although It was my own reel. I don't know the quality of their (southbend) product though.

I also question the quality of Southbend, but I'm not complaining about the free reel Cool. It'll be a good beater for dunking in rivers Tongue

What parts has Shimano sent you free of charge?

01-16-2013, 04:18 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 04:21 PM by MuskieBait.)
(01-16-2013 03:49 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 03:47 PM)rich_ace_G Wrote:  I got the same service from shimano...although It was my own reel. I don't know the quality of their (southbend) product though.

I also question the quality of Southbend, but I'm not complaining about the free reel Cool. It'll be a good beater for dunking in rivers Tongue

If it is a old Southbend reel, quality could be very good.

Besides the handle, have you open up the reel to see if there is any corrosion in the gears?

Did you find that at our overnight bridge spot? I was wondering why it took you so long to grab a couple of camping chairs and a bag of food... Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
01-16-2013, 05:10 PM
(01-16-2013 04:18 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  
(01-16-2013 03:49 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  

If it is a old Southbend reel, quality could be very good.

Besides the handle, have you open up the reel to see if there is any corrosion in the gears?

Did you find that at our overnight bridge spot? I was wondering why it took you so long to grab a couple of camping chairs and a bag of food... Tongue

I haven't opened it up yet, but the crank is smooth and the antireverse is spot on. The drag is smoother than most of my other "old" reels.

I did find it at the overnight bridge spot! LOL Smile. And at that exact time too... observant Ken is observant Tongue

01-16-2013, 05:14 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 05:16 PM by rich_ace_G.)
shimano drag knob. although I was expecting a replacement of the whole reel. Good service but I'm all Okuma spinning now. I hardly go out of my comfort zone when it comes to fishing gears (they are not cheap). I'm all fenwick rods & okuma reels. well except for my old beat up Penn reel which is awesome.
Find all posts by this user
01-16-2013, 05:44 PM (This post was last modified: 01-16-2013 05:48 PM by MuskieBait.)
(01-16-2013 05:10 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  I haven't opened it up yet, but the crank is smooth and the antireverse is spot on. The drag is smoother than most of my other "old" reels.

I did find it at the overnight bridge spot! LOL Smile. And at that exact time too... observant Ken is observant Tongue

Good stuff. Looks like you got lucky! I'd be interested in seeing it next time. I only mention to check inside since the reel could have seen sitting there and exposed to salt for some time.

You remember how we fished that one leader and hook for 24 hours and the hook was already rusted, right? Just make sure the insides are OK...or else you can probably clean and add new grease...but from the sound of it, the guts should be good Wink

I knew something was "fishy" when it took you 20 minutes to grab the stuff and come back.

A good angler is an observant one...who knows, you could have hooked a tarpon in the mangroves in the 20 minutes that you went poking around...

Not much slip my eyes on most days. Tongue

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html