You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Spinning vs Baitcasting
03-13-2012, 10:39 PM
Spinning vs Baitcasting
Which do you use and why?

I use spinning, it's what I learned on. I've yet to try a bait caster. =D

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
03-13-2012, 11:27 PM
RE: Spinning vs Baitcasting
(03-13-2012 10:39 PM)MichaelAngelo Wrote:  Which do you use and why?

I use spinning, it's what I learned on. I've yet to try a bait caster. =D

I use spinning to tried a baitcaster once didn't care for it.
Find all posts by this user
03-14-2012, 12:00 AM
I use both, depending on the conditions and species I'm fishing for. There's different applications for both.

Some advice if you're going to get a Baitcaster - you pretty much have to spend $150-200 for a good decent one. I started out with the cheap $50 ones many years ago and never got around to making casts like the pros do. A few years ago I made the plunge and bought the Shimano Curado and now I can cast a mile with it.

Cheers!
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to John Kimble for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-14-2012)
03-14-2012, 11:28 AM
MA,

Get a decent spinning reel first. You can do almost anything you need to do with a spinning reel, plus its what your comfortable with.

When you have some extra coin, get a good baitcaster. And practise at home pitching in the backyard.

I don't mean any offence, but at this point, if you skip the spinning reel and go with a baitcaster, your not gonna have a very productive spring.

Learning a baitcaster takes a little time. Once you learn how, they are an awesome tool in the toolbox. But like John Kimble said, you should still have both, depending on species and technique.

One downfall to a baitcaster is if your fishing from shore and you have a headwind, your day is shot. Baitcasters can be used into the wind, but you need alot of experience to do so.

Hope this helps
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
MichaelAngelo (03-15-2012)
03-14-2012, 01:41 PM
I use both spinning and baitcasting. Spinning is much easier and easier to control, however baitcasting provides the strength and especially when you cast multiple times, it provides speed.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to dannyhan83 for this post:
manitoubass2 (03-14-2012)
03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
(03-14-2012 01:41 PM)dannyhan83 Wrote:  I use both spinning and baitcasting. Spinning is much easier and easier to control, however baitcasting provides the strength and especially when you cast multiple times, it provides speed.

Good points.

Also, a baitcaster allows you to feather a bait into the water.

It will also allow you to cast large diameter braid much better than a spinning outfit.
03-14-2012, 02:07 PM
(03-14-2012 02:05 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  
(03-14-2012 01:41 PM)dannyhan83 Wrote:  I use both spinning and baitcasting. Spinning is much easier and easier to control, however baitcasting provides the strength and especially when you cast multiple times, it provides speed.

Good points.

It will also allow you to cast large diameter braid much better than a spinning outfit.
that is true. I usually use 50IB braided line for bass fishing when using a frog. I can avoid any weeds and pull bass out from the weeded area without any problem. Spinning reel, eh.
03-14-2012, 02:10 PM
(03-14-2012 02:07 PM)dannyhan83 Wrote:  
(03-14-2012 02:05 PM)manitoubass2 Wrote:  

Good points.

that is true. I usually use 50IB braided line for bass fishing when using a frog. I can avoid any weeds and pull bass out from the weeded area without any problem. Spinning reel, eh.

Exactly. Thats a good example of when you need a baitcaster, lol. Odds are if your frog fishing weeds, the weeds are too thick for a spinning outfit to handle.

If you put 50lb on a spinning reel, good luck casting your lure anymore than 50ft. Anymore then that and you'll be dealing with wind knots, wrapping around the tip/guides etc.

Although, the newer braided lines are getting better, you would still have issues.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to manitoubass2 for this post:
dannyhan83 (03-14-2012), MichaelAngelo (03-15-2012)
03-15-2012, 02:38 AM
Awesome insights guys thanks! Pretty sure I'm good with spinning for now... if it 'aint broke don't fix it! =P

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Ageee with all, been using shimano citica for 1 year now, and yeah it takes a while to learn but once you know how it works you can switch from the 2 type of rods without problem