You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

After you get your limit
02-18-2013, 03:16 PM
After you get your limit
This has been the subject of a few debates this year. Right off the MNR website:

"If you catch a fish after reaching the daily catch and retain or possession limit for that species, the fish must be released immediately back to the water. If the limit is zero, anglers may practice catch and release only and any fish caught must be released immediately back into the water in a manner that does not harm the fish."

http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/en/Business/Let...98480.html

Hope that clears things up!

[Image: logobgs.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
02-18-2013, 06:41 PM
RE: After you get your limit
That Was a really odd remark to a honest question.

If I had my limit, Why would I keep Fishing?

If fishing was that great, why would you keep all of your first catches?

The rules would also apply to a fish that was out of season.

just release it immediately and as safely as possible some suggest this doesnt even give you the chance to take a picture, This could be understood as if i had to search through my bag for five mins with that fish out of water, but if the camera was ready before the fish was even landed, and you are taking the picture at the same time your pulling the hook or releasing it, especially if your friend is taking the picture, then you should be fine.

rules are tight, and it will only ever be the ones that obey the rules that will care to talk about them and get all the facts straight so that they dont cause an issue with the MNR.

~Jeremy.

Find all posts by this user
02-18-2013, 06:51 PM
(02-18-2013 06:41 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  That Was a really odd remark to a honest question.

If I had my limit, Why would I keep Fishing?

[SNIP]

~Jeremy.

You may hit your limit for one fish but still be eligible to catch others.... For example at your limit for walleye and keep on trying for Pike or Bass. If you sang another walleye you need to release.
02-18-2013, 08:47 PM
What happens when you catch a fish that swallows the hook and dies?
Or when you are trolling and you catcha fish so small it doesnt even fire on the down rigger, and you end up towing it around and killing it.
For the most part the death of a caught fish is the only reason I keep a fish.

I would feel unhappy about that option.

Just my 2 cents....

~Jeremy.

02-18-2013, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 02-18-2013 09:19 PM by MuskieBait.)
(02-18-2013 08:47 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  What happens when you catch a fish that swallows the hook and dies?
Or when you are trolling and you catcha fish so small it doesnt even fire on the down rigger, and you end up towing it around and killing it.
For the most part the death of a caught fish is the only reason I keep a fish.

I would feel unhappy about that option.

Just my 2 cents....

~Jeremy.

Well, to continue with that argument...

If you catch an Atlantic Salmon in the river (where the season is closed with zero possession), and said salmon is deeply hooked, bleeding and cannot be revived, do you release it or keep it?

The law is always the law and you ALWAYS release it, regardless if it is a shame that a life was taken even if you cannot keep it, and it became "waste". Remember, in nature, there is never any waste. A dead fish that is put back into the system will always contribute back to the natural system. Scavengers will benefit, decomposers will benefit, bacteria will benefit, and the nutrients from the dead fish will be recycled in the natural system. You take it home (illegally!) and you take the nutrients away from the natural system.

Like I always say "Throw the fish back...it'll be turtle food." That statement has some truth in it.

Now, as Jeremy said, what if you already caught your limit and you have a deep hook fish, but you do not want the dilemma of releasing a dead fish because to you it is "wasteful"?

I would suggest that you NEVER keep your limit then. Give yourself some cap space to take those deep hooked fish home if you do come across them later.

Another thing I believe is this...

A released fish, with as remote change to survive as can be, will still have A CHANCE to survive. Maybe nature will deal it a kindness card and allows it to survive against all odds. I've seen salmon with head wounds probably from heron or eagle attacks, or fish with large chunks taken out of their backs, or fish with stubs for tail fins, or fish with half its jaw ripped off and deformed, or fish with grossly large tumours on the head or side of the body or belly...and yet, these fish survived!

I've actually caught many of these fish that I mentioned. I've caught a brown trout with a snout that looks like it ran itself, full speed, into a concrete dam. The snout was so broken and compressed, but healed, that it was terrifying. Yet, this brown trout was caught by three separate anglers (including myself) that evening after being released by all three of us. It was a fantastic showing that 1) catch and release works and 2) fish has an exceptional ability to survive against all odds.

A fish that you decide to keep, most certainly, 100% of the time, will NOT survive regardless of the odds. It will certainly be killed for the table.

So to all who argue that "It's a deep hooked fish...it's bleeding...it's won't survive...it's a shame and I should keep it." Well...you just removed all it's remote 0.0000001% chance to survive when you knock it over the head with the billy bat.

Just my humble opinion.

BTW, you do NOT want to go down this rabbit hole that some east coast rivers has implemented. In some of the famous salmon river, you are limited to a certain number of hooked fish per day. (I could be wrong...but long ago when I looked, it may even be limited to ONE hooked fish per day per rod!) Once you have hooked and landed a certain number of salmon, regulation states that you MUST stop fishing, regardless if you have kept the salmon you caught or released them.

The argument is that catching more fish, even if it was catch and release fishing, unnecessarily harm and harass them.

So you spent hundreds, or even thousands of dollars, to go fish for Atlantic Salmon on the east coast rivers...you catch one...and you're done for the day. Wow...what a waste of your time and money! Don't even get me started on the fact that non-resident anglers MUST hire a guide in order to fish for Atlantic Salmon...it is written into the fishing regulations...ridiculous!

Would you agree to implement such regulation here if you have already caught your limit? Would you agree to implement such regulations backed on the number of total hooked fish, regardless if these fish were kept or released?

What if you were perch fishing and you were limited to hooking only 15 perch regardless if you kept your limit or not, regardless if the perch you caught were 3" or 15"?

Been too technical...and sometimes too ethical...lead us down the path that will only favour the environmentalist...

It's like if I try to argue catch and release fishing...and some environmentalist argues that we are unnecessarily injuring and harassing fish and they do not see the point of 100% catch and release fishing. But if I tell them I do keep a fish here and there when I fish, they tone it down and see that I do fish to provide a meal for my family, but I am also a conservationist in thinking about the future.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
02-19-2013, 05:06 PM
The angling number and size limits are set to hopefully properly manage the sustainability of various fish populations while still allowing some harvest.

It is a condition unique to this pass time we enjoy. Hunters strive to kill their prey, thus leaving no decisions required ……….. Success = Instant Death, and limits are considered before aiming the gun.

An acquaintance of mine tells me that “Anglers get to play God” in these regards. He may be close in his assessment…………… sometimes.

No matter how you dress it up - You can’t have this sport without inflicting some sort damage on the fish……….. some is temporary and some is possibly permanent or fatal – by the puncture wounds, net wounds, lactic acid stress, pressure sickness, the freezing or frost bite of their eye surface tissue in winter, suffocation…………. Etc.

I enjoy fishing and will continue to do so as long as I am able while strictly obeying the regulations as may be established. I may keep fish occasionally for food. I shall strive to minimize my impact. That’s about the best I can do, or shall do.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
Jeremy Ray Green (02-19-2013), MuskieBait (02-19-2013)
02-19-2013, 06:41 PM
(02-19-2013 05:06 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  The angling number and size limits are set to hopefully properly manage the sustainability of various fish populations while still allowing some harvest.

It is a condition unique to this pass time we enjoy. Hunters strive to kill their prey, thus leaving no decisions required ……….. Success = Instant Death, and limits are considered before aiming the gun.

An acquaintance of mine tells me that “Anglers get to play God” in these regards. He may be close in his assessment…………… sometimes.

No matter how you dress it up - You can’t have this sport without inflicting some sort damage on the fish……….. some is temporary and some is possibly permanent or fatal – by the puncture wounds, net wounds, lactic acid stress, pressure sickness, the freezing or frost bite of their eye surface tissue in winter, suffocation…………. Etc.

I enjoy fishing and will continue to do so as long as I am able while strictly obeying the regulations as may be established. I may keep fish occasionally for food. I shall strive to minimize my impact. That’s about the best I can do, or shall do.

Cheers,

OldTimer

I want to finally add,

I keep release about 99.9% of the fish I catch.
The only ones i keep are the ones i unintentionally kill upon my angling adventures.

If it was out of season or over my limit i would have to release the fish regardless of how i feel about "WASTING" the fish.....

I would just perfer to limit those options.

and that is my choice/opinion.

I would almost always never hit my limit on any species of fish i was targeting, as i perfer to let them swim away.

but some people have different thoughts about the fishery than others.

I want to add, that is you have a limit of fish and a conservation officer deams you are targeting that same species that you are already over the limits of, they could possibly give you a real hard time, and may possibly fine you if they feel the matter is in need of a correction.

Its up to the angler..

But honestly we fish for tomorrow....

Why waste it... ????

~Jeremy

02-19-2013, 07:10 PM
(02-19-2013 06:41 PM)Jeremy Ray Green Wrote:  But honestly we fish for tomorrow....

~Jeremy

How bout - Let's fish for us today, whilst conserving for all tomorrow.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.