You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Steelhead flies
09-14-2015, 11:25 AM
Steelhead flies
What type of files do you use when fishing stream feeding Lake Erie and Lake Huron
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
09-14-2015, 02:30 PM
RE: Steelhead flies
Wooly Bugger was what we used to catch a rainbow at Denny's Dam, near South Hampton last spring.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GailBait for this post:
Galhug (09-14-2015)
09-14-2015, 07:08 PM
Wooly Bugger is good...so are various nymph patterns (stonefly nymph is a must). Some bunny leeches are good too.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
Galhug (09-14-2015)
09-14-2015, 08:07 PM (This post was last modified: 09-14-2015 08:21 PM by Galhug.)
I have not been out fishing for steelhead in over 25 years. Since then I have moved from lake fishing area to stream and river fishing areas. Took up fly fishing about 12 years ago but do not get out much. Thinking of trying for steelhead on a fly instead of drifting roe bags.
Last steelhead was at sable falls two 4lbs and one 7 lbs. A bit of a trip to go there now but thinking of trying some streams off Lake Erie. Any suggestions other than grand?

(09-14-2015 02:30 PM)GailBait Wrote:  Wooly Bugger was what we used to catch a rainbow at Denny's Dam, near South Hampton last spring.

Gailbait: what is it like fishing at Denny's Dam now in the fall? Was thee over 25 years ago standing shoulder to shoulder with others. First tone salmon fishing. Hooked into one a fought it for over 35 minutes with 8 lb test line. Had 3 fellows trying to help me net it but very many griping and complaining that they could not fish because I was taking too long. Finally the line broke when one veteran fisherman tried to net it for me. He said it was well over 30 lbs. Have not wanted to go back there since and turned me off salmon fishing for a long time.
09-15-2015, 02:22 PM
Have never been there before last spring.
It was too crowded then and I don't think we'll ever be going again.
Don't know how the fall is, sorry.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to GailBait for this post:
Galhug (09-15-2015)
09-18-2015, 11:00 PM (This post was last modified: 09-18-2015 11:04 PM by Wes P.)
(09-14-2015 11:25 AM)Galhug Wrote:  What type of files do you use when fishing stream feeding Lake Erie and Lake Huron

Hi Galhug,
Fly and float fishing buddies use, Egg Sucking Leach, Muddler Minnow, Michigan Wigglers, Red Skunks, Rabbit Ear Nymphs, Wooly Bugger ( you heard ),Hot Pink, Chartreuse and Orange Egg flies to fish for steelhead.
I fish the Saugeen a lot but way below Denny's Dam. It's a zoo there any time in Spring and Fall. Since I cast lures ( which seem to be a minority now ). I fish from the Graveyard Hole down to the First Island. There might be some fishermen there but lots of room for everyone.
I have not fished Lake Erie tribs but you can try the Maitland and Saugeen rivers of Lake Huron for fly fishing or any style you fancy. Good luck.
I might meet you up there someday this Fall.
09-19-2015, 10:37 AM
Thank Wes. Do you fish the Sauble at all? That is where I had most of my luck with steelhead in late sept. What lures do you use? Mostly spinners?
09-19-2015, 12:01 PM
Galhug, I haven't fished the Sauble in quite sometime. I use mostly spoons in the Saugeen but when I fished the Sauble years ago I used my homemade spinners. I lost a lot of spinners to the sunken logs below the sanctuary line. But I did get my limit. I was a novice then and so excited to have caught all the trout on the homemade spinners. Now, I practice catch and release. I only keep 1 or 2 for the table. I replace all the treble hooks with single siwash for ease of release.
09-19-2015, 02:04 PM
I visited the Sauble for the first time years ago. Was not familiar with river fishing and was skunked on 3 visits. Lost a lot of tackle in the snags. Finally went to the river without my rod and just sat and watched other anglers? Walked out to speak to one angler who asked me to stay and taught me some of the finer points I was missing. This fellow was quite friendly and was very knowledgable. The next day was so successful. I have always respected this fellow taking the time on sharing his experiences and knowledge including his thoughts on catch and release
. Has been my practice ever since?
09-19-2015, 03:08 PM
That was very gentlemanly of him. I met many kind and generous fisher people on the rivers that I go to, not to say that all but some could really be nasty. I avoided those supposedly fishermen. Most kind people I met were the 'old timers' who were eager to share their experiences.
I learned a lot from them and I have adopted their philosophy of good fishermanship and to respect everything around you.