You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Suggestion regarding Intro's and Welcoming
05-19-2015, 02:59 PM
RE: Suggestion regarding Intro's and Welcoming
(05-18-2015 08:16 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  At the moment, it's just "I".

eg. "I" will register onto the forum, write an intro so "I" can read reports, and "I" am too busy/language poor/computer illiterate/new to fishing...what have you...to contribute...at the moment.

Let's change it to "we"...let's be active on the forum so "we" can talk fishing and "we" can share what "we" know. If we are promoting "we", then "we" must get involved. You can't build a community with a bunch of people who only care about their own needs, with "I" being their objective. You need people who care about the need of everyone in that community and people are willing to contribute.

This is my whole point all along... Dig?

All the excuses are BS IMO.

1) If you can find this particular forum among millions of websites online, you're computer literate enough. You know how to do a Google search or you know how to type in a web address. Heck, you even manage to get as far as typing a nickname into a textbox, creating your own password, clicking a checkbox, clicking a few buttons, and even received and replied an email to get your account activated. You are well beyond computer literate. You can't simply type up a report now and click the submit button?

2) If you can read these report and make sense of it or if you are asking for spots to fish, and go as far as naming the species you are after, plus stating the lures you like to use, you don't have a language barrier at all. If you can write a 3-4 sentence intro on your favourite fish to catch, when you started to fish, and your favourite technique, you don't have problem with written English. And now you can't write a paragraph to share with others about your weekend fishing trip?

3) if you are too busy, you won't even have spare time to waste on the internet forum. If you have time to browse through all these forums everyday to see where the latest bite is happening, or if you have time to search for a fishing lodge, or if you have time to read about this and that lure or technique, you have time. People, like many friends of mine, who don't have time don't even go on fishing forums...heck, they don't even have time to fish. So now that you have spent all that time online, you don't have 5 minute to reply someone's question or write a report?

I was in those situations list above at one point of my life or another...I know these are all simple excuses. I've walked many miles in those shoes...been there, done that...how's that for perspective?

It definitely is a perspective.

And it appears clear that definitions of "nurturing" vary as widely, perhaps more, as opinions do............... smile.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
05-19-2015, 03:48 PM
(05-19-2015 02:59 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  
(05-18-2015 08:16 PM)MuskieBait Wrote:  At the moment, it's just "I".

eg. "I" will register onto the forum, write an intro so "I" can read reports, and "I" am too busy/language poor/computer illiterate/new to fishing...what have you...to contribute...at the moment.

Let's change it to "we"...let's be active on the forum so "we" can talk fishing and "we" can share what "we" know. If we are promoting "we", then "we" must get involved. You can't build a community with a bunch of people who only care about their own needs, with "I" being their objective. You need people who care about the need of everyone in that community and people are willing to contribute.

This is my whole point all along... Dig?

All the excuses are BS IMO.

1) If you can find this particular forum among millions of websites online, you're computer literate enough. You know how to do a Google search or you know how to type in a web address. Heck, you even manage to get as far as typing a nickname into a textbox, creating your own password, clicking a checkbox, clicking a few buttons, and even received and replied an email to get your account activated. You are well beyond computer literate. You can't simply type up a report now and click the submit button?

2) If you can read these report and make sense of it or if you are asking for spots to fish, and go as far as naming the species you are after, plus stating the lures you like to use, you don't have a language barrier at all. If you can write a 3-4 sentence intro on your favourite fish to catch, when you started to fish, and your favourite technique, you don't have problem with written English. And now you can't write a paragraph to share with others about your weekend fishing trip?

3) if you are too busy, you won't even have spare time to waste on the internet forum. If you have time to browse through all these forums everyday to see where the latest bite is happening, or if you have time to search for a fishing lodge, or if you have time to read about this and that lure or technique, you have time. People, like many friends of mine, who don't have time don't even go on fishing forums...heck, they don't even have time to fish. So now that you have spent all that time online, you don't have 5 minute to reply someone's question or write a report?

I was in those situations list above at one point of my life or another...I know these are all simple excuses. I've walked many miles in those shoes...been there, done that...how's that for perspective?

It definitely is a perspective.

And it appears clear that definitions of "nurturing" vary as widely, perhaps more, as opinions do............... smile.

Cheers,

OldTimer

I'm just new here and have tried to contribute.

I know probably most people will never say anything. Like at other forums on other interests I have. Works the same in day to day life or at work.

But I don't think lumping all those silent together in a negative accusing way will promote much other than increased lack of participation.

Positive vibes are a better way I think.
Find all posts by this user
05-19-2015, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 05-20-2015 07:44 AM by MuskieBait.)
(05-19-2015 03:48 PM)GailBait Wrote:  
(05-19-2015 02:59 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  It definitely is a perspective.

Cheers,

OldTimer

I'm just new here and have tried to contribute.

I know probably most people will never say anything. Like at other forums on other interests I have. Works the same in day to day life or at work.

But I don't think lumping all those silent together in a negative accusing way will promote much other than increased lack of participation.

I'm finishing my teacher's college training at the moment...and you can ask any teacher what nurturing means. Tongue

It doesn't mean handing out info and holding a student's hand every step of the way. It means giving them just enough that students can make some mistakes to learn on their own. It means pushing students to question and explore. It means getting students involved and engaged at every step possible. That's how education works...

Nurturing also means pointing out mistakes and shortcoming so students receive proper feedback. Without proper feedback, students do not know where they have made mistakes and they do not know how they can improve. Pointing out shortcomings isn't anti-nurturing. It is very nurturing. You don't nurture students by letting them get away with things...that's not nurturing...that's called spoiling...like letting kids get away with not handing in assignments, or not letting you know in advance that they have an obligation which prevented them from writing a test on time. It doesn't teach kids responsibility.

Similarly, forum members should have a responsibility to participate and to become part of a community...

As to Gail, signing up on a forum just to lurk in the background is also very negative and toxic to the forum. In fact, that's how many forums die because the lack of participation breeds even less participation when no one is replying to posts, no one is sharing information, and no one is interacting. If you think I'm lumping people, you can see how many users are registered with OSF...and how many are actually actively participating regularly (I would even consider one monthly post as regular participation...I'm not asking for daily chime in). I can guarantee you that 90% of accounts are what I consider inactive (less than 1 contribution a month). How's that for lumping?

None of the things I've said are negative. I'm saying it just the way it is. None of my three points are incorrect...nor are they exaggerated. Yes, there is a rhetorical question at the end of each point...and yes, there may even be a bit of sarcasm to it. But none of it was negative.

Just to clarify, the "reasons" I discussed above were "reasons" given before (not be me) to explain why participation is low. Personally, I do not believe these are the true reasons. These reasons, on their own, are negative enough. We, as a community, welcome everyone. All I ever want to do is to have members participate. If their reports are short, even just a few words, or if their English were poor, I don't like to make that as an inhibitor against participation. As a community, should we not encourage these members to get involved? Isn't that the positive vibe the community wants? Using these "reasons" (I call them excuses) to segregate people is negative. Pointing out these "reasons" is negative in my mind.

As a teacher, I don't go around labeling students as ESL, ADHD, dyslexic...etc. We know that certain students require Individualized Education Plans, but we don't point it out everyday. We make accommodations, but we don't take excuses...especially for assignments, tests and other student assessments. We design activities and learning opportunities that cater to these student, but we don't simply accept their non-participation because they have "reasons". We encourage them to learn. This is what my discussion was about. A regimented participation "contract", just like a weekly journal for ESL students, to help people learn and participate. You will only learn if you are engaged. If you take a backseat, you are not engaged. If fishing forum members lurk in the background, then they are merely reaping the benefits from others and not contributing at all. What have they learned to grow in their own fishing?

I've been visiting online fishing forums ever since they were a concept. I've seen a lot of forums come and go...even some of the best ones at the time. At the end, they all die because people stop participating on the forum.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
05-20-2015, 06:28 AM
(05-19-2015 03:48 PM)GailBait Wrote:  I'm just new here and have tried to contribute.

Me too.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
GailBait (05-20-2015)
05-26-2015, 02:50 PM
(12-16-2013 04:54 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Here’s a new suggestion to hopefully promote members to post, and to feel more welcome & comfortable at OSF.

At date of my typing this OSF has 897 members – yet only 191 “introductions “exist in the welcome category.

Perhaps each member should be required to post an acceptable introduction prior to being granted the permission to view/download pictures and attachments………. Or make any other posts.

An “acceptable” introduction need not be much - just three or four sentences letting your fellow members know how long you’ve been fishing, generally where you hail from, and what species and styles of fishing are your favourites.

Furthermore – I suggest – that the introduction will gain acceptance after either approval of the moderator, or upon reciprocal welcomes from 5 different existing contributing OSF members.

Not a bad idea perhaps.

Plus ………… it sure will cut down on the "16+ posts in one night or so" zoomers.

Cheers,

OldTimer

I just thought I'd bump the original post for this thread....... as things wandered off course here.

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.