You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Surf Fishing Central Florida Atlantic Coast
04-09-2014, 09:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 03:37 PM by MuskieBait.)
RE: Surf Fishing Central Florida Atlantic Coast
(04-05-2014 12:54 AM)fishfight Wrote:  Surf fish on most state was $1 from Maine then to other southern state. But need to register on line. These states are somewhat affiliated. Just sign up once, Pay $1 and you are good to fish in most states.

Fresh and salt water license inland are not free of course.

fishfight, before you state anything like fact, please check that your "facts" are indeed true. It is extremely irresponsible to post your "facts" without verifying, especially when it comes to fishing regulations in foreign states and countries where it can land you into a world of trouble. What you stated is completely FALSE. These states are not "somewhate affiliated". Each state has its own fishing regulations and license requirements. Some states do share reciprocal licenses - such that if you possesses a valid state license from one state, you are exempted from the license requirement in the other state that SHARES the same exemption agreement (eg New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Rhode Island and Connecticut).

So far I've fished in Massachusetts, New York, Maryland, Virginia, Georgia and Florida, and I have looked up regulations at the time for Delaware, South Carolina and North Carolina. So I do know first hand the license requirements for those states.

Yes, it takes time to look up all this information. It took me over an hour this morning to look up and post this. However, you should not post what you don't know, especially anything that may lead to illegal activities, whether by ignorance or misinformation. If you have a busy life and you don't have time to look up all the information, then ONLY post what YOU KNOW. As a poster, you have the responsibility to post things that do not lead others into illegal activity.

Pertaining to what you have stated, Maine's neighbouring state is New Hampshire. Just across the state border, saltwater fishing in New Hampshire does require a license and it is not free. In fact, you need to cross over another 2 state borders (MA and CT) before you get into New York where you can fish saltwater for free but under the specific Recreational Marine Fishing Registry. However, this state registry does not share reciprocity with Maine or any other state. Only occasionally do you find neighboring states sharing a registry program, such as Virginia and Maryland, where the states also share a reciprocal license agreement and the registry program is used to record and track neighbour state anglers fishing in the state waters.

For the benefit of the members here, I've looked up and summarized the saltwater fishing license requirement for all the states with access to the Atlantic coast. But it is YOUR responsibility to ensure that this information has not changed since it was posted here! The fees listed below pertain to non-resident license fees.

Maine - Saltwater Registry (Free)

"A person is required to obtain a valid fishing license prior to fishing in inland waters or transporting fish taken from inland waters. A person is required to keep his/her fishing license with him/her at all times while fishing or transporting fish and must exhibit their license for inspection by any warden, department employee, guide or landowner upon request.

Customers with a valid lifetime freshwater fishing license who wish to engage in saltwater recreational fishing must register in the Saltwater Registry through the Department of Marine Resources. There is no cost for the actual registration. However, a $1 agent fee applies if they register at DMR’s licensing office, and a $2 agent fee applies if they register online or through a DMR designated agent. Once registered, the person is legal to engage in saltwater recreational fishing for all legal species (including striped bass) for the calendar year. A lifetime freshwater fishing license holder must register each year that the person intends to fish in saltwater.

Who needs to register?

Residents who are 16 years of age and older who plan to engage in saltwater recreational fishing and do NOT have a freshwater fishing license.

Non-Residents who are 16 years of age and older who plan to engage in saltwater recreational fishing and who are NOT registered in another state, or with the National registry or do NOT have a Maine freshwater fishing license."

New Hampshire - Saltwater Recreational Fishing License ($11)

"All persons age 16 and older recreationally fishing in coastal and estuarine waters of the state must purchase a N.H. Saltwater Recreational Fishing License. This includes anglers, spearfishers and persons using other gear types who wish to take, possess, or transport marine finfish for personal use and which are not sold."

Massachusetts - Recreational Saltwater Fishing & Lobster Permits ($10)

"In order to fish recreationally for finfish in Massachusetts marine waters, including up to the first upstream bridge in rivers and streams that flow to the ocean ( click here for exceptions to the rule pdf format of bounds_exceptions.pdf ), saltwater fishermen must have:

- A MA Recreational Saltwater Fishing permit, or
- A recreational saltwater fishing permit from a state that has a reciprocity agreement with Massachusetts. As of February 17, 2011, Massachusetts has reciprocity agreements with:

- New Hampshire
- Rhode Island
- Connecticut

Rhode Island - Recreational Saltwater Fishing License (7-day = $5, annual = $10)

"In order to fish recreationally for finfish in Rhode Island's marine waters, saltwater anglers and spearfishers must have:

- A RI Recreational Saltwater Fishing License, or
- A National Saltwater Angler Registration, or
- A recreational saltwater fishing license from a reciprocal state. Rhode Island honors recreational saltwater fishing licenses from New York, Connecticut, Massachusets, and Maine."

Connecticut - Marine Waters Fishing License ($15)

"The Marine Waters Fishing License (also known as a Saltwater Fishing License) is an annual sport fishing license issued on a calendar year basis. Anyone age 16 or older, fishing (taking or attempting to take fish or bait species) from shore or from a boat in the marine district of this state or landing marine fish or bait species in Connecticut taken from offshore waters is required to have one."

New York - Recreational Marine Fishing Registry (free)

"Make sure to enroll in the annual no-fee recreational marine fishing registry before going fishing in the marine and coastal district waters or when fishing in the Hudson River and its tributaries for "migratory fish of the sea" (e.g. striped bass).

You need to register if you are 16 and older and are:

- Fishing for saltwater fish species in the marine and coastal district (view description & map)
- Fishing for migratory fish of the sea within tidal waters of the Hudson River and its tributaries, or waters of Delaware River or Mohawk River.

You do not need to register if you are:

- Fishing aboard an appropriately licensed party or charter boat in the marine and coastal district.
- A New York State licensed party/charter boat owner.
- A Connecticut or Rhode Island resident and have a valid marine fishing license from your resident state.
- Fishing for lobsters, crabs, clams, mussels, scallops, or oysters. Review license/permit requirements for these activities below."

New Jersey - Saltwater Recreational Registry Program (Free)

"Individual saltwater anglers ages 16 and older MUST register if ANY of the following criteria are met:

- Recreationally fish with a hand line or rod and line, spearfish or fish by hand
- Recreationally fish in the marine and fresh tidal waters of the State of New Jersey
- Recreationally fish in marine waters outside the State of New Jersey but land the catch in New Jersey

Individual saltwater anglers are EXEMPT from registering if either of the following apply:

- Under the age of 16
- Solely fish on for-hire (party and charter) vessels that are registered with the New Jersey Saltwater Recreational Registry Program"

Delaware - Delaware Fishing License (7-day = $15, annual = $22.50)

"Delaware's fishing license covers both fresh and tidal waters.

Anglers also need to be aware of license costs: for residents, $8.50 whether fishing fresh or tidal waters, but priced higher for non-residents who will fish either fresh or salt water.

The Delaware license for both fresh and tidal waters is also valid for recreational crabbing and clamming. There are fees for charter boats and head boats, and an option for a recreational boat fishing license."

Maryland - Chesapeake Bay & Coastal Sport Fish License (7-day = $12, annual = $22.50)

"Individuals under the age of 16 are not required to obtain a license to sport fish/crab. They can, however, purchase a recreational crab license if they want to catch the bushel of crabs allowed with that license.

The only anglers in Maryland who do not need a Maryland Tidal Fishing License (but requires Online State Registration) are:

1) Passengers on a boat with a Pleasure Boat Decal
2) Waterfront Property owners and their family members
3) Fishing in free fishing area
4) In possession of a Virginia Saltwater license"

Virginia - Individual SW License (10-day = $10, annual = $25)

"The fishing licenses listed below are required for recreational, non-commercial use of a rod-and-reel (hook and line), handline, spear or gig, cast net, or up to two eel pots in Virginia tidal saltwater areas including the Atlantic Ocean out to the three mile limit. Exemptions from licensing requirements and license reciprocity information are listed below.

Saltwater recreational fishing license and FIP registration requirements when fishing in VA tidal waters and not on a VA or PRFC licensed charter or head boat:

16 years or older and less than 65 years old (16-64 years old): a paid license is required unless one of following exemptions applies:

- fishing from a public fishing pier with a VMRC issued license that allows pier anglers to fish without license
- any non-license holder fishing from a private boat with a VA or PRFC saltwater boat license
- fishing from the angler's private property/pier
- fishing in VA with a reciprocal MD saltwater license

Individuals fishing without license under these exemptions are required to obtain a no-cost FIP registration prior to fishing."

North Carolina - Coastal Recreational Fishing License (10-day = $10, annual = $30)

"The license allows recreational fishermen to take finfish for personal consumption; finfish harvested under this license cannot be sold. Fishermen using this license are held to the state’s recreational size and possession limits. The license cannot be assigned or transferred and is required for ANY type of recreational finfish taken not included under the Recreational Commercial Gear License. Fishermen holding the CRFL are required to comply with all DMF sampling and survey programs.

The license is required to recreationally take finfish in the Coastal Fishing Waters, as defined by N.C.G.S. § 113-129 (4). Recreational fishing in Joint Waters (areas managed by both the Marine Fisheries and the Wildlife Resources commissions) will also require either the CRFL or a WRC inland fishing license."

South Carolina - Saltwater Recreational Fishing License (14-day = $11, annual = $35)

"Individuals (age 16 and older) harvesting marine resources, including finfish, oysters, clams, shrimp and crab must purchase an annual, temporary or 3 Year Saltwater Recreational Fishing License - unless fishing on a licensed public fishing pier; fishing on a licensed charter vessel while under hire; using 3 or fewer drop nets, 3 or fewer fold up traps, or 3 or fewer handlines with no hooks and a single bait per line (chicken necking); or shrimp baiting (which requires a shrimp baiting license)."

Georgia - Recreational Fishing License (1-day = $5, annual = $45)

"All resident and nonresident anglers 16 and over who fish in fresh or salt waters of Georgia must possess a Georgia Fishing license. This license is required for hook & line fishing, cast netting, seining, crabbing, gigging, sport bait trawling, and harvesting shellfish. A Georgia Fishing license is required for anglers returning to Georgia ports or transiting Georgia waters with recreational catches from federal waters beyond the state's 3-mile territorial sea. Reciprocal agreements with Alabama, South Carolina, and Florida currently do not apply to salt waters.

As of Jan. 1, 2013, anglers 16 years and older must possess a current fishing license and a valid Saltwater Information Program permit (SIP) to fish in salt water in Georgia."

Florida - Saltwater fishing license (3-day = $17, 7-day = $30, annual = $47)

"A recreational saltwater fishing license is required for residents and nonresidents to take or attempt to take saltwater fish, crabs, clams, marine plants or other saltwater organisms (other than non-living seashells and lionfish with certain gear).

Note: Spiny lobster and snook permits and tarpon tags are also required.

A Florida fishing license is required to land saltwater species in Florida regardless of where they are caught (state or federal waters).

Nonresidents must purchase a 3-day, 7-day or annual nonresident saltwater fishing license when saltwater fishing from the shore or a pier, bridge or jetty attached to the shore unless fishing on a pier with a pier license. "

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
04-09-2014, 03:20 PM
Nice condensing & presentation of the facts in a logical order MB!

Good stuff.

Cheers,

Oldtimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
04-09-2014, 09:10 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2014 09:13 PM by fishfight.)
Sorry my mistake for generalizing without thorough research. Here are more info for sharing license on these states such as Rhode island, New york, Massachusetts and Maine . Better buy the fishing license that offer the less expensive cost on one of these states, since one can fish among them. I was only focusing on Surf fishing, not the general salt or freshwater fishing application. You are definitely correct, most of non-residence fees is applicable even to surf fish.

http://saltwater.ri.gov/

Thanks for clarifying and doing all the leg work. My apology! I will be more cautious next time!
Find all posts by this user
04-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Thanks for seeing my point, Josh.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

06-04-2014, 03:39 PM
Some handy tide chart sites:

http://www.tides4fishing.com/us

http://tbone.biol.sc.edu/tide/sites_useastlower.html

Cheers,

OldTimer

See you on the river.
08-22-2014, 03:20 PM
Nice video - great tips:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpMyu7ZMu...VVtoPRL9ug

See you on the river.
01-19-2015, 03:12 PM
Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYsIgM1VtXs

See you on the river.
03-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Worth looking/bookmarking:

http://www.saltchef.com/catch_fish/FL/wh...orida.html

See you on the river.
03-28-2015, 07:04 AM
Awesome resource OT!

Malama o ke kai

02-02-2022, 03:02 PM
(11-18-2013 05:20 PM)OldTimer Wrote:  Hey,

Revised and expanded this article.

Hope it helps a few enjoy the surf..........

Cheers,

OldTimer

Got any new tips on Florida surf fishing? We might go soon.

Can we take our things we use here if we wash it out every time?
Find all posts by this user