You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Surf Fishing Questions
01-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Surf Fishing Questions
This summer I will be heading off to Nanimo BC (actually just north of there) for a family event. I plan to use some of the time to try my hand at some surf fishing as my sister in laws place is less than a good cast from the ocean (straight of Georgia).

Preliminary research has indicates that there are rockfish, ling cod and flatfish in the area. If I'm lucky maybe even some dog fish.

I was planning picking up a couple of surf rods. Actually I'll likely order the from bass pro and get them delivered straight there next time they have a free shipping event. I've checked some of the local shops and they don't seem to have much to offer.

I'm trying the keep the cost down so I narrowed it down to a couple of rods and I am looking for feedback.

I was thinking about getting the 15 ft version of this rod:

Offshore Angler™ Power Plus™ Rods - Spinning Rods
http://www.basspro.com/Offshore-Angler-P...uct/30663/

Is this too much rod?

Alternately I was thinking a couple of the rods OT recommended (I picked one last year and I was very pleased with it)

Shimano® FX® Spinning Rods
http://www.basspro.com/Shimano-FX-Spinni...uct/58574/

I plan to be poking up live bait (squid, herring) locally.

I managed to find and pickup some buzz bomb lures which are popular on the island.

I will be brining a UL pack rod and try some of the local streams.

My brother in law may be picking up a zodiac so we go out a couple of times.

Any help and/or suggestions would be welcome.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
01-24-2014, 01:06 AM
RE: Surf Fishing Questions
Hey Zippy, send me a PM with the exact location you'll visit. I'll take a look on GoogleMaps and see what might be possible in the area. Unless the shore drops steeply, you may not have a good chance at rockfish and lingcod. You could be catching some surfperch though.

Your gear selection will depend on what's possible.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to MuskieBait for this post:
zippyFX (01-28-2014)
01-24-2014, 07:42 AM
Zippy,

I really can’t comment on the fishing in that location – no experience there.

However, I will share that 15’ is a lot of rod, and for many (including me) way too much. A rod of this length may be good for helping to keep your line up over top of big surf when in a holder –but it certainly is not something you wish to use for casting lures – it will be a struggle and will exhaust you.

Plus - for sure – they are not for use on boats.

Shorter rods (9’ and less) are better for lures, and you may wish the rod to have a bit faster tip than the rod I recommended previously for bait.

If new to “long” rods you may find that jumping to a 12’ length (rather than 15’) is a simpler transition and more enjoyable experience when fishing with bait. Even still – it will take practice to get the timing.

Cheers,

OldTimer

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to OldTimer for this post:
zippyFX (01-28-2014)
01-24-2014, 12:43 PM
Hello Zippy,

I do lot of Surf Fishing @ East Coast - Dalaware and Maryland. I use 13' rod with Shimano Baitrunner 8000D and it's more than enough for striped bass and odd Shark. 15' is too much also if you want to use plugs - go with less than 10' rod.

Tight lines.

Kato
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Katojc for this post:
zippyFX (01-28-2014)
01-24-2014, 09:20 PM
Didn't do any fishing in Nanaimo and no surf fishing at all but I did pick up a few bits of knowledge while I was there this past summer.

Any dock with 10 feet of water or more should have shiner perch and juvenile rockfish hanging out under it. Drag your bait on the bottom and you'll get staghorn sculpin too. Light jig with a piece of hearing or even gulp bait will produce. Casting a small spoon from the same dock can produce cutthroat trout.

If you drive a few hours north to Campbell River, you'll have access to a fishing pier (Canada's first fishing pier) and deeper water. This is where you want to jig on bottom with a heavier jig a and a plastic tail for flatfish, greenling, prickleback, eelpout etc. Put a largish piece of fish on the jig after dark and you should get dogfish. Keep the jig moving or you'll be harassed by crabs. Depending on what time you're there in the summer, there might be a few pink salmon in the streams as well. It's an even year, so the pink run will be very small and most streams will get none at all.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Eli for this post:
zippyFX (01-28-2014)
01-28-2014, 05:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-28-2014 06:01 AM by fishfight.)
I also bought a shimano FX rod for $19 at Bass pro USA, they are easy to cast since they are not too heavy. I plan to Surf fish with it when I visit US state, you also need surf pole http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mikes-Spikes-Ult...564677895. I made them my self , by buying material at Home depot. To buy them in US is inexpensive.

Sign up at BPS to get email promotion for free shipping events. their is a brokerage fees of $3.50 for items over $15, then shipping cost.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to fishfight for this post:
zippyFX (01-28-2014)
01-28-2014, 11:24 AM
Thanks everyone for all the great advice.... I'm going to have to have to digest and plan Smile
02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
check couple of retractable rod I posted on tackle review section. great price and seem decent quality for use on travelling, very easy to fit a normal check in luggage.