You are not logged in or registered. Please login or register to use the full functionality of this board...

Sputnik / spider sinker
11-24-2013, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2013 05:38 PM by MuskieBait.)
Sputnik / spider sinker
OT can probably answer this...

We can't get sputnik sinkers here...so I grabbed a 6oz egg sinker, some 180lb single strand wire and made this...

[Image: IMG_0445_zps727113b8.jpg]

The legs are 1.5" long above the bend. Legs can be bend outward a bit for better grab.

Think it'll hold in some heavy current? Or hold a bigger livebait on bottom?

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

Life List: 577 species and counting (2016: 91 new species)
http://muskiebaitadventures.blogspot.ca/...-list.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2013, 06:08 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2013 06:08 PM by OldTimer.)
RE: Sputnik / spider sinker
Looks like it may help hold the bottom a bit better, wire looks a bit thin but will help fight the weed and wave tugs on your line as well as the current.

I would bend the legs out a tad more- will help your dig in, .........plus reduce the weed/debris pickup or hang-up problems on the back way in. (they are weed collectors)

The high price sputniks have arms that will release if snagged on the retrieve.

My father used to make cheap sputniks too - by drilling 3 or 4 holes in heavy bank or pyramid sinkers..... then screwing 3" brass or stainless screws into them. They helped too.

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.
11-24-2013, 06:32 PM
Thicker wire, longer legs, extended further out...got it. Thanks!

Gonna use it with a trap rig.

Malama o ke kai

Caution - Objects in picture are smaller than they appear. I am genetically predisposed to make fish look bigger.

11-24-2013, 09:37 PM
Should have let me know you were looking for them...Sail has the real thing (or had?) in stock a few weeks ago..
Find all posts by this user
11-25-2013, 12:53 AM
Darn!!!

I'll see if the Sail in Vaughn has them...I doubt it...there is little use for them here.

Malama o ke kai

11-26-2013, 12:29 AM
Haha yeh and here in Ottawa they're an essential item in everyone's tackle bag. Not sure why Sail stocks them.
Find all posts by this user
11-26-2013, 01:49 AM
Eli it seems the SAIL in your area has different stock than the one in Oshawa... the one I frequent. I've never seen them there. It might pay to take another look, I'll see.

Ken, does the wire withstand the force of the cast? From what I can tell, the sinker attaches to the line through the 2 loops of wire. Would a full-power cast unbend the wire holding the lead in place?

[Image: logobgs.png]
11-26-2013, 10:51 AM
That's a valid question...I can't say until I test it (could potentially be dangerous LOL). But trying to pry it out at home, it is quite resisting to being pulled out, short of using a pair of pliers on it and damaging the wire in the process.

Need to use heavier wire anyways...which will hold it even better.

BTW, the two end of the wire is not simply dangling around. I haywire twisted the 4 ends of the wire after forming the loop...and twisted from one opening of the sinker to the other opening. So the wire holds together really, really well. With 4 strands of wire spreading the load, the sinker doesn't pull out thus far.

Malama o ke kai

11-26-2013, 05:16 PM
If you're worried about a pull through, and won't be "de- assembling" them - set the wires in the bore with a big glob two part 5 minute epoxy (it's real cheap at the $ store)

OT

<>< I once gave up fishing. It was the most terrifying weekend of my life. ><>

See you on the river.